NiaD Episode VI: Return of the NiaD

Maerahn
Platform: Windows

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:05 pm Post

pigfender wrote:No problem. I would ask, though... do you *have* to know all that stuff?

With the brief i've got, I need to show examples of her self-centredness. And to do that I need to know at least a little bit about how and why she'd have had lawsuits filed against her for a business she previously owned.
For years I waited for a Writing Angel to sprinkle her magic Confidence Dust on me. But she never came. That's when I realised I was going to have to find my own dust.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:11 pm Post

That's cool.

There are -- sadly -- many real life examples you could get inspiration from.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

hj
hjordisa
Platform: Linux

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:13 pm Post

Maerahn wrote:
pigfender wrote:No problem. I would ask, though... do you *have* to know all that stuff?

With the brief i've got, I need to show examples of her self-centredness. And to do that I need to know at least a little bit about how and why she'd have had lawsuits filed against her for a business she previously owned.

*looks at her own brief, looks at the hints as to Mae's brief, looks back*
I'm sure you're doing a much better job with it than I am. I was never much of a researcher.

I knew this was a terrible idea! I've always written short and now I've written 900 words and have to go to work. Oh well, I'll try to edit and expand on the bus and then you're getting what I've got. :o

az
azuarc

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 pm Post

I was thinking I was in the same position a couple hours ago. I just let myself go, and made up a few things, and ultimately managed to mostly sidestep all that. As others here have said, it's about the characters first and foremost. Your chapter's about Margaret (I assume), mine is largely about Lucas, but the end result is the same -- I had to invent his dealings and use them to reflect back on who he is. It doesn't take a lot of depth into the actual affairs to make him out to be a real shithead.

Sidenote: first draft is done. 3500 words. Now to edit it, and perhaps hack at the excess bits.

Edit: submitted. Decided the prose was relatively clean, even if the pacing might be a bit murky.
Last edited by azuarc on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigfender

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:25 pm Post

hjordisa, you have a different chapter to Maerahn, and also a very different personal style.
I've read some of your work. You don't write 'short', you have a style that is 'hard-boiled' (like several of my favourite writers), and brings you in to the moment. 1,000 words that are true to your style and voice is better than 4,000 words that aren't, in same way that 4,000 words that are true to your style and voice is better than 1,000 words that aren't.
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

Ki
Kimkneen

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:44 pm Post

Done!!! Emailed. Just over 1900 words.

I'm zombified...

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:45 pm Post

pigfender wrote:hjordisa, you have a different chapter to Maerahn, and also a very different personal style.
I've read some of your work. You don't write 'short', you have a style that is 'hard-boiled' (like several of my favourite writers), and brings you in to the moment. 1,000 words that are true to your style and voice is better than 4,000 words that aren't, in same way that 4,000 words that are true to your style and voice is better than 1,000 words that aren't.

Cripes Piggy, Just say "jaysen types too much" and be done with it!

Submission headed to you at 4264. I cut quite a bit off that. Cut much more and it does feel right to me. Your call. Look for it in 5.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

hj
hjordisa

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 pm Post

pigfender wrote:hjordisa, you have a different chapter to Maerahn, and also a very different personal style.

I thought we might, but I was just amused that all her questions and concerns were the same ones I was having. :P (Sorry if this double posts... I was on my phone for a bit and it doesn't look like it submitted.)

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:02 pm Post

Wait... per the countdown i have 5 hours left. I can get a couple K more words in there with that kind of time!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Ry
Ryker Hayes
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:04 pm Post

Well, I'm sending mine in. Though, it is 225 short. :/

ConradG
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:09 pm Post

Wow. Did you really tailor what chapter you sent to who by their observed writing styles. That's above and beyond the call of volunteering-to-do-a-whole-lot-of-work-for-fun!

I'm glad I sent you the thing I sent you! I'm really pleased with my assignment, although I know I'm not doing it justice.

pigfender

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:14 pm Post

ConradG wrote:

Wow. Did you really tailor what chapter you sent to who by their observed writing styles. That's above and beyond the call of volunteering-to-do-a-whole-lot-of-work-for-fun!

I'm glad I sent you the thing I sent you! I'm really pleased with my assignment, although I know I'm not doing it justice.

No - other than not sending grisly chapters to people who've told me they don't want them, all allocation is random. But I do actually read the stuff people send in and get a sense of who they are as writers. I wouldn't put you through it if I didn't know you had it in you!

hj
hjordisa

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:16 pm Post

Sent at 1046. I'll check during lunch to make sure it went through all right. Looking forward to seeing the final result(s)!

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 pm Post

Signed, sealed and submitted, at 3380-ish words. Looking forward to finding out the rest of the story!

Thank you, Rog.
Literature & Latte support team

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:30 pm Post

Jaysen, you are positively concise compared to me. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."