Preset text styles drop my formatting

mc
mchemnitz
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:42 pm Post

I have searched for this on the forum but I can't find it. Sorry if it has been asked and answered.

I have imported a dissertation from MS Word, all correct formatting (italics, bold) and footnotes came over just fine. My problem is when I apply a preset (body, block quote, etc.) to the paragraph, it drops out all formatting within the text.

I have changed the Preferences > Formatting > Main Text Styles for future documents but it does not touch the copy/paste from MS Word. I have also tried changing the styles in Format > Formatting > Apply Preset which changes the font, spacing, indent and margins but drops all my italics and bold.

I guess I am looking for the check box that preserves formatting. Does someone have anyplace I can look for information on if this feature exists? I have scoured the help doc and forum but to no avail.

Thanks for the help

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:19 pm Post

There are no styles in Scrivener of the kind you have in Word. The test is hard formatted. So the italics isn't a code but a changed font for that text. If you apply a new format, e.g. By using format presets, the text get the new format. So what you are seeing is the way it works. If your format preset is sandard, no underline and no italics, of course any underline or italics disappear.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 am Post

Lunk, I thought that was only if the preset is set to "Save all formatting" or "Save character attributes" -- those settings on the preset are what instruct it to overwrite character-level attributes like bold/italics.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 am Post

Correct.
If you create a new preset (Format -> Formatting -> New preset from selection) you can instruct it to keep italics and bold. Someone else pointed out (in a different thread in here) that you need to choose the option "Save paragraph style" as that means that the preset only contain the paragraph style and not character attributes like bold or italics. It does not mean that the text on which you later apply the preset keeps it paragraph style. :)
So if you choose "Save character attributes" only the character attributes will be saved in the preset, so only character attributes will later be applied to the text when you use the preset. A bit backwards maybe...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Shunyata

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 am Post

The paragraph spacing defined in my body preset is acting erratically. I've tried everything I can think of. I've redefined the preset, created a new preset yet the problem remains. Some paragraphs do apply the preset paragraph spacing and others don't.

Mind you, I didn't have this problem until I began using the Pro Writer Aid with Scrivener.

Please Advise... thanks

Om
OmSwaha

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:15 pm Post

Lunk's reply doesn't make sense to me, but it works, so thanks! Finally I can have a preset that doesn't strip out my italics...