Keeping the sidebar updated when going to a linked document

Imagine what that would look like if you, on top of that, choose Use Label colour in Binder :open_mouth:

It’s gonna be very interesting to see what compromises they have come up with.

I never said anything about selecting multiple documents. What I am talking about here - the only thing I am talking about here, is seeing Scrivener perform automatically what it can already perform using “command-option-R”.

I have not made use of the split screens feature yet. There are so many ways the Scrivener is a great app. Again, all I have suggested is what it already does using “command-option-R”. No more and no less.

Ibid.

Right. But Scrivener needs to behave in a consistent and predictable way when people do have multiple documents selected. Multi-document views are not an obscure feature, they’re one of the primary reasons why Scrivener exists.

Katherine

OIC. You are saying that, while my idea may have merit for my purpose, three are other uses of the binder where such a suggestion would not make sense? That makes sense now. I am still vitally linked to visual references so, lets see what sort of “compromise” L&L says is coming.

I freely admit I still do not use most of what Scrivener offers. I was feeling intimidated both with my own commitment to the process of writing - the hard work of actually writing (not just talking about writing), and learning to use Scrivener at it’s full potential. I started using Scrivener about a year ago for my daily logs, record keeping, notes and so forth. This has allowed me to begin to get past feeling intimidated by it’s feature set.

I finally committed to joining a writers group and I had my first meeting with a writing coach to see if it was a fit. I will continue to learn how to use Scrivbener as I continue to work on my first book (yay, finally).

Yes, that’s correct. And the same applies to most other interface suggestions that people make.

In my experience, the best way to tackle Scrivener’s learning curve is slowly. You don’t need to know about all of the features now, or ever. Focus on the specific bits that are relevant to what you’re trying to do now. Happy writing!

Katherine

David, if you haven’t already done so, i highly recommend you go through the tutorial. I think for someone who has never been exposed to Scrivener that would probably take a couple of hours, but since you’ve been using it, you would probably get through in an hour. It would be well worth your time.

Jim

Yes, I have. Although admittedly there are a lot of scrivener tutorials out there. Here is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HrgXr4MOdo.

For my own reasons, I am a kinesthetic, contextually based and a highly visual, learner. What that means is that I can read the manuals and watch the tutorials (which I have), but until I start actually using the program for a specific purpose, it doesn’t hold much meaning, it wont stick in my brain very long. Thanks for suggesting it though.

I think JimRac refers to the tutorial project. Not videos…
The tutorial project is available from within Scrivener itself and is a Scrivener project

Ah, yes, saw that once too but forgot. Same comments as before, it is something I will continue to acquire as I come to new crossroads. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sometimes it is wise to take a break and play around with the tutorial project, just to get new ideas, new ways to do something with the text you are working on. I found Labels and how to colorcode the Binder that way.

Yes, I meant the tutorial project, sorry for not being clear!

You can access it by going to the Help menu in Scrivener and selecting “Tutorial". It’s a great way to get some “hands on” experience with functionality you haven’t used yet.

Yes, that’s an option, but I’d like to see the Back button, and Forward as well, like in Adobe Reader, so you can go forth and forward while clicking on hyperlinks (or links to other elements in the Binder).

The history feature (in §8.1.1, Header Bar, pg. 144) should already be working the way you describe, unless I’m missing something about your description of what you expect.

If you mean you’d also like for clicked links to open in the same editor, so that browsing among them is more like a Web browser, then check out the settings in the Behaviors: Document Links preference pane. I prefer to have all links open in the current editor, save for newly created links, which I have the software ignore.

Glad I found this conversation. For me, Scrivener 3 has been a step down in usability and organizing my thoughts.

I’m an academic and I use Scrivener mostly to organize my notes for any articles I read or for my ethnographic fieldwork. For my literature, I have my main Scrivener file, which is kind of my extended brain. I write notes or copy-paste sections from articles or books that I’ve read, so that I can quickly find or remember their main points. It’s close to 1500 items as we speak.

With the old version, I would type in a keyword like “community” and have the binder neatly display all my notes that feature this word. It’s a great way to organize your thinking prior to writing, to sort of see that “oh yeah, I forgot that article talked about community, too”. With this type of work, it was essential that whenever I clicked an item the binder would also focus on that item. I could see what articles were next to it, which would again spark my imagination and help me make connections.

The current system has messed up my workflows. Navigating between items in the binder is not as intuitive, and I’ve noticed that since installing Scrivener 3 I’m not writing as many notes into the system as I used to.

So yes, I hope a compromise is coming. I know I’m not the only academic who does this type of thing with Scrivener.

edit. yes, I know this is an old topic. But I was forced to migrate from Scrivener 2 very recently.

@kungfiske I’m not sure what functionality you are looking for, but if I’m understanding you correctly, version 3 does what you are asking. See screenshot, where I have searched my whole project for the word “social”. Search is much more complete and effective in version 3 because of all the regex goodness. Read the stuff in the manual about Collections.

@ kungfiske At the risk of overloading things, here is a screenshot of my Collections (basically they are Saved Searches, so you don’t have to type out complex search criteria every time you search). In this example I have exploited regex so that one search looks for both “social constructionist” and “social constructionism” at the same time, and presents results for both in the same Collection. As you will see, you can also look for expressions where hyphenation between components is inconsistent, something which used to make searching more of a chore, as you sometimes had to do two searches to find all examples.

In my view, search is one of the best features of version 3 of Scrivener.

I’m not really sure what you mean here, as nothing in this regard has changed. mbbntu has already put you on the right track - simply hit Shift-Cmd-F or click the search button in the toolbar to bring up the search field above the binder and everything works exactly as in Scrivener 2. The only difference is that the search bar is no longer in the toolbar by default; instead the toolbar shows the Quick Search bar, which is a navigation tool. You can customise the toolbar and add the old search field back there if you prefer it in the search bar rather than having to show it above the binder.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the responses.

I know how the binder works and all that (had not explored Collections, though, thanks for the tip). My point was that I found the previous version’s feature of focusing the sidebar on the document that was found during search to be much more intuitive than the current one.

The opt-cmd-R seems like an unnecessary extra step. Maybe it will become intuitive, but right now I feel like my workflows and muscle memory are both out of sync.

Again, I’m not really sure what you are referencing, because nothing has changed here - nothing was focussed in the sidebar in v2 that isn’t in v3. Perhaps you could clarify a little?

All the best,
Keith