Help! Downloaded update now Scrivener won't load

Hi MimeticMouton

In my case the console window does not display any font names and the log file generated is empty. Scrivener still does not launch.

Hi all,
Here comes a list of font files, which might cause you problems: FOXJUMP.TTF, Bravura.ttf, Bravura.otf, SigmundFreudTypeface1, SigmundFreudTypeface2, SigmundFreudTypeface3, SigmundFreudTypeface4, SigmundFreudTypefaceKurrent, and SigmundFreudTypefacePRO.

Please, verify that the above files do NOT exist inside your Windows/Fonts directory.

EDITED: The Bravura font family could have been installed by the ScoreCloud software. Please, have this in mind if you have the software installed, and experience GUI issues with it after removing the Bravura font. With the next release this will be sorted out, and Scrivener will work properly, even if the above fonts have been installed.

@Mick S and CASD57: Please, uninstall any existing Scrivener version. Verify that the old Scrivener installation folder is fully removed. Install the new Font Log version downloaded from the link above, and run ScrivenerLog file again as advised from MM above. If the output console is empty, there must be some other problem on your machine. Console output from Scrivener, like version number, build/release dates, should be present. Hope this helps.

P.S. EDIT: Further font files have been added to the list.

Removing Bravura has done the trick on my system and Scrivener now launches. Hats off to tiho_d, MimeticMouton and anyone else involved in tracking down this most troublesome gremlin. It took a while but you got there in the end.

Shoot I don’t have those three in my font folder

Plus I’m in the middle of a book so I’m not doing a clean uninstall…Just in case…I’ll wait for more Font names to be included

Unfortunately the best I get is:
Qt: Untested windows version 10.0 detected!

And the control box shuts down. Literally the only reason I know the control box says that, is because I did a screen grab when I started up that version of Scrivener. It flashes that fast.

I’m not sure what to do, as I don’t have the three fonts listed installed on my machine.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

One way to test is to reboot your system and not open any programs. Then, create a new folder, and label it something like “Fonts Folder Copy”.

Navigate to your Fonts folder, click on a font, and press ctrl + A to select all of the fonts. Drag them over to that new folder you created.

It is going to give you some errors such as “The font you are trying to move is a system font” or some such thing. Just press skip all or ignore all to get rid of the errors.

The fonts that came with your system will remain in the fonts folder, and the rest will move to the copy folder.

Once the process is complete, try running the program again. It should start up fine.

To weed out fonts, drag them over one at a time to the Fonts folder, and check (reopen) Scrivener after each addition to see if it loads. When Scrivener fails to load, put that font in a “Bad Fonts” folder. Keep doing this for all the fonts in your Fonts Folder Copy (or whatever you named that folder). When you have a list of “Bad Fonts”, please let L&L know so they can keep testing. :slight_smile:

I am currently in the process of this, myself. But as I have over 8000 fonts, it is taking a while. Good luck!

Can’t believe this is still going on. Really, you shouldn’t have to do this. It’s like sticking elatoplasts on a gaping wound! Ask yourselves: do you have any font problems with any other software you use? Unless you have damaged font files it is unlikely there is such a thing as a BAD FONT on your system – only one or two that are incompatible with Scrivener’s recent update. If L&L are seriously asking users to go through their font files (some people have hundreds, thousands even!) to weed out bogies there is something seriously wrong at the developer’s end – not the user’s! Perhaps L&L might consider rolling out an update patch? Anyway, god knows what would have happened to my deadlines if I’d stopped to play with this thing… which reminds me…

Yes, a patch release is about to be released very soon. Meanwhile you can sort out the problematic font yourself, with the build we have provided, revert to a previous version of Scrivener, or wait for our patch release. Sorry that you still experience problems, caused by custom fonts. We are doing our best to avoid further problems with the next release.

Here are some more fonts, which might be causing you trouble with Scrivener 1.9.6.0: SigmundFreudTypeface1, SigmundFreudTypeface2, SigmundFreudTypeface3, SigmundFreudTypeface4, SigmundFreudTypefaceKurrent, and SigmundFreudTypefacePRO.

I have none of the listed fonts installed on my system and the last font shown in the log is a system font that can’t be removed. Now, I can only run Scrivener as an administrator. I’m running Scrivener 1.9.7 on a Windows 10 machine. This problem has only occurred after upgrading to v1.9.7.

Oh Boy this is still going on ???
I would figure you would bail on the across the board OS compatibility …Since this is when the problem started… Wouldn’t that be the smart thing to do until you get a grasp on the problem ?
We paid for a product that works and is upgraded…You are not fulfilling your part of the equation
Too bad, you won’t get my $$$ in the future…

I’m experiencing this problem too but don’t have any of the listed fonts on this computer (Win 7 Pro, SP1). Using the logging version of 1.9.6, the font loading progresses until it starts throwing an error “Warning: QSettings: RegEnumValue failed:” which repeats forever (until the program window reports “Not Responding” or you kill it with Task Manager). It starts throwing the error after a several warnings with this “Debug: No PostScript name for family: "GungsuhChe” as the last one, but that is a Windows protected system font which can’t be deleted. I can provide the entire output up to until the RegEnumvalue error starts, but didn’t want to paste the ~370 lines here in this thread.

—Editing this to bump after the holidays, so that hopefully someone from L&L will see and respond. Thanks.—

FWIW, I was licensed on Mac, then bought a Windows license as well to use on a Win laptop. Upgraded the previous trial install I had on it which is when the loading hang issue started. So far, due to this problem, I haven’t been able to use the Win license I paid for.

I am seeing this with 1.9.7 (not just 1.9.6 & earlier) on Windows 7 x64. I get a blank, non-responsive New Project window and the logged output shows what is described above.

I have literally hundreds of fonts and very little free time, so I haven’t been able (and frankly, shouldn’t have) to test every single font. But what I have tried so far has all failed. I’m still having to use the pre-IOS version. I understand that bugs happen sometimes, but this isn’t a new thing. They’ve been aware of it since July and we don’t even have a workaround.

Any chance there is a fix coming for this? Or at least some interaction and response in this thread?

FWIW, I was able to load and use Scrivener by simply making a new user on my Windows box. This is definitely in the user profile on Windows, not sure if it is a file or registry error, however.

Any updates on this?

There is another thread going on that might be of help to you:

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time in between deadlines to mess around with the registry etc. to try to get it to work. A known bug that’s been present for so long really should have an official fix by now.

Agreed. I’ve been checking the status of this thread and looking for an update occasionally, but am not holding my breath at this point. Expecting customers to spend valuable time fiddling with font files seems unreasonable to me, and at least on my system the fonts that are installed are installed for a reason. Disappointing.

It’s not just that they haven’t fixed it. They haven’t even responded to any of these posts. Is anyone even working on this anymore?

Some people have had luck just logging in as a different user. Still a pain, but might be worth a shot.