NiaD 6 is being postponed [from Oct 2016]

Serves you right for being greedy and having such big plates!! :open_mouth:
Good luck Rog
Take care
Vic

Thanks, y’all. Yup all is well. It’s just work stuff that’s gone crayzee. Good news, though: you’ll have a distraction free run at your nanowrimo prep! One sub-forum up!

Hugs,
pf

You know, if you are cramped for time, we could just make it a Novel-in-an-Hour. :smiley:

or worrabout ‘A Novel Now’ or ANN

SNORT

Vic-K want to do ANN.

Wait till his wife hears about this!

:frowning:

Here’s me thinking about us knocking out a short story. and looking to: Chekhov; Poe; Kafka; Woolf; Hemingway; Wilde; Eliot; Twain; Tolstoy; Faulkner; Melville; Christie; Atwood and Joyce, etc., etc., for inspiration, and there’s you lowering the standard to your usual sewer level. The kind of filth that gets yosimiti up on his high horse! :open_mouth: tch!tch!

Admit it, sir; you’re just jealous that you didn’t get there first.

I completely understand the need for postponing; I’ve peeked at previous years and running this event, informal as it is, must take an enormous amount of work. At the same time, I was really looking forward to joining in this year at long last, having lurked for about 2 years, and I wonder if there might be an alternative for this year… for example:

Is there a “veteran” of this event who might feel ready to give it a whirl?

Or could the overall duties be split up among several people to lighten the load — one person might come up with the plot, characters, and chapter divisions; a second person might screen applications to enter and be in charge of assigning chapters and mailing stuff out to people; and a third person might be responsible for receiving the completed chapters, stitching them together, printing them, and setting them all on fire in a huge bonfire on which pigfender is burned in effigy for instigating an event leading to the production of such bad art. Or some variation on the above…

Or can anyone think of a workable low-maintainance complete alternative. For instance, I thought of picking a story from an antique comicbook from aibq.com/catalog_1.php and splitting it up by a number of panels or pages to produce a novelization.

It’d be a shame for a year to go by without a NiaD being produced. The gap in the icon row of all these folks’ sigs would just be so unsightly!
_
C
G

Young devin,
not true! The simple fact of the matter is, that unlike numpty, there are certain depths of depravity to which I am incapable of sinking.
vic[size=50]saintly[/size]k

I really think we just need to give the fellow some space.

I’m inclined to agree, wholeheartedly Also, invoking the fallow field system…
britannica.com/technology/a … #ref558325

…may enhance the already fertile imaginations of Scriv’s crew members.

Rightio. I hear that. Happy holidays, everyone!

Oh, my. Glad I didn’t hold my breath for the event like I did in previous years. By January, I’d have been an interesting and undiscovered shade of blue.

Take care of your plate, PF. You’ve done such a good job for the previous NiADs, take the time you need to make the effort the worthwhile.

I confess I was getting a little concerned about my own ability to participate this October given what’s on my plate*. Given that my involvement is, technically, only 24 hours and doesn’t involve plotting the overall story-arc and breaking it into self-sustaining chapters (or creating believable characters, or preparing chapter and character briefs, or calling for volunteers, or coordinating the writing, or compiling the multiple versions of the subsequent book, or distributing said books afterwards) I can’t really judge you** for postponing NiAD 6.

I sincerely hope it goes ahead in January. FWIW, January is my quietest month, so I’ll have the least number of excuses not to participate. Of course, whether you take that as a threat or a promise depends on your views of my previous efforts… :confused:

[size=85]*I need a larger plate
**Well, I can, but it would make it hard to sustain any semblance of rationality I may subsequently seek to portray :unamused:[/size]

Yoo hoo! Darling! Light of my life (sorry after-life). My precious jewel in the firmament, I’m
over here!

Why should that suddenly bother you now? … ‘s never bothered y’ before … 'as it … eh?

Well, I did say “may subsequently seek to portray”. No promises. And I never said it bothered me. But if it helps you sleep better, just for you I changed “hard” to “harder” to allow for any significant challenges in this area that may currently exist.

Now, stop thinking about me so I can go back to oblivion :wink:

Do Mum-n-Maude, know you hang about in that dive?!! :open_mouth: ‘Confessions Of An Aussie Opium Eater.’ hmmm, 's gorra familiar ring to it

Mum AND Maude? No.
Maude? Yes. Who else could get me in? The bouncers took one look at her, mumbled muted apologies for something they did somewhere, sometime, while trying to avoid her eyes and simultaneously shine their boots on the back of their legs. Maude didn’t say a word, just made the slightest gesture of her head towards me—barely a twitch—and walked in. They nodded, looked at me in a way that seemed to suggest fear and pity at the same time, and waved me in.

Inside was very dark, but surprisingly comfortable. It was a kind of lounge bar with leather booths and couches dividing it up into discrete spaces. I was surprised to hear Miles Davis’s Birth of Cool, or something of that era, playing. It was loud enough that you could listen to it, but still quiet enough that you could hold a conversation without straining. If not for the company I was in, I’d say it was stylish. Cool without pretension.

A handful of people were scattered around the bar. All in groups of two or three, and all just far enough away from the next group to avoid hearing each other’s conversations over the music. Maude ignored them all and headed to a small, inconspicuous, door near the bar. The bartender, a huge bulk of a man, apparently held the key to the door, but was engrossed in some papers by the till (could have been a duty roster, or a betting tab, or sheet music of Birth of Cool – I wasn’t going to ask). He seemed to be ignorant of everyone in the room until the heat of Maude’s stare started to singe the back of his head. The poor guy almost fainted when he turned around. I would have felt sorry for him, but… well… the fact that he knew Maude well enough to wet himself suggests that there are people he’s met who deserve greater sympathy. His face blanching, he reached under the till for a key, gave it to Maude, then retreated to the far end of the bar to clean himself up.

Maude simply took the key and used it to unlock the door – I could hear the tumblers click as the key turned. Sliding the key under her bra strap, she looked me up and down as if to reassure herself, then grabbed the door handle and opened the door…

Oblivion

. oblivion … oh dear me. Are you sure you’re able to handle the opiate induced hallucinatory phantasmagoria of: Kangaroos jabbering in some obscure, Northern Territories, aboriginal dialect; koalas and emus talking with broad Dublin accents; gangs of huge cane toads, dressed as morris dancers, prancing up and down the sidewalk, jumping over promenading crocodiles carrying parasols and ornate walking canes; ostriches pushing baby buggies, and coffee shops full of dingoes, tapping away on their laptops and iPads. youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw