help me out, recommend a killer nonfiction book for me...

Hmm…doing a definition search, “Forging” comes across as “to make falsely.”

Heat by Bill Buford.

Dave

Agreed, but also ‘forging’ as in ‘to forge’ as in iron!:

1. The action of the vb. FORGE in various senses; an instance of the same. Also, used gerundially with the omission of in.

Forge: 1. trans. To make, fashion, frame, or construct (any material thing); = FABRICATE v. 1. Obs. exc. as coincident with transf. use of 2. to forge together: to frame together, weld.

2. To shape by heating in a forge and hammering; to beat into shape; to coin (money). Also with out. 

b. absol. or intr. To work at the forge; to do smith's work.

:slight_smile:

Goldberg, Writing down the bones
Bettger, How I raised myself from failure to success in selling
Bhagavad Gita
Tao Te Ching
Rogers, Fighting to win
Caples, Making Ads Pay
Brande, Wake up and Live
Polya, How to solve it
Pirsig, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
Lakatos, Proofs and Refutations
Carnegie, How to stop worrying and start living
Tolle, The power of now
Feynman, Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Shinichi Suzuki, Nurtured by Love
Timothy Gallwey, Inner game of tennis

Charlie Wilson’s War - George Crile

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers

Bob!
A Very Happy and Successful New Year :smiley:

Ive just noticed: Youve got the same gap in your smile, as I have in mine

Take care
Vic

Cancel Your Own Goddam Subscription; William F. Buckley JR.

http://www.amazon.com/Cancel-Your-Own-Goddam-Subscription/dp/0465002420

Just finished it last night.

Great book.

By the way, perhaps if you read it, you might be able to explain to me what Immanentize the eschaton means.

Best,

Howard

The Empty Space by Peter Brook is incredible if that’s your thing.

Fnord!

(You need to read The Illuminatus Trilogy)

Howard,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton
vic

No, don’t just tell him! Where’s the fun in that? :wink:

Buckley meant it in the sense of “Don’t wish for Heaven on Earth,” a refutation to liberal thinking.
And then he got Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II.

ahhh…
Live and learn!

Thanks all.

For quality of writing, Andrew Marr’s History of Modern Britain is a delight - just enough humour, just enough author’s voice, just enough interpretation of the facts…

For density and diversity of material around a given topic (asymmetry, in this case) I’d go for Right Hand, Left Hand by Chris McManus (or maybe it was Left Hand, Right Hand - too busy reading the book to remember the title :unamused: ).

I’m so regularly disappointed by fiction I find non fiction a great comfort to return to in between disappointments…

That is sadly so for me as well. The more I write my own fiction, the fussier I have become.

But, being an information junkie, I am glad to read good non-fiction.

Anything by Jack Olsen, true crime.

Jared Diamond writes anthropological studies. Guns, Germs, and Steel has delighted everyone I have lent it to.

Barbara Ehreinreich goes undercover to investigate economic realities. Nickel and Dimed is now a classic.

I was blown away by Deer Hunting with Jesus by Joe Bageant. It’s a lyrically written, highly insightful book about the American working class.

Barbara Ehreinreich goes undercover to investigate economic realities. Nickel and Dimed is now a classic.

This is correct. A GREAT book! so is her newer one, Bait and switched. Brilliants Stuff.

H

Hi Vic-k, Sorry didn’t notice this until now. I wish you also a successful year :smiley: . Love to read what you write, because you almost always write from an unsuspected angle :wink:

All the Best
Bob

Coming from The Master, those words will be cherished. Thank you :smiley:

Take care
Vic