On the Issue of Bloatware

Ea
Easily Distracted
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:33 pm Post

Just a comment. When I hear of bloatware, I think of wikipedia's definition:

"The term "Bloatware" is also used to describe unwanted preinstalled software or bundled programs."

It seems here you are referring to product slowness with no perceivabe benefit, or extra features that you feel ate unnecessary or inappropriate.

Could it be a developer's attempt to appeal to more diverse customer environments-at the cost of those who now are doing fine?
Scriveners for Windows
Non-Fiction writing, software demos, professional/corporate writing

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:18 am Post

The main reason for writing in Scrivener is that it meets your needs better.

That's it.

People write long-form with pencil/pen and paper. With typewriter. With WordStar. With WordPerfect. With Word. With TextEdit. With Write. With pretty much ANYTHING. Scrivener is built to be better at writing for a certain way of thinking and organizing.

All of those things people say you can't do in Word -- well, most of them don't know what they're talking about. They've never taken the time to learn the software. They've refused to upgrade. They've refused to upgrade their document formats (seriously, had a user who kept complaining about corrupted Word documents in Word 2013. She was still creating documents by copying an old 2002 .doc file and renaming it. Didn't know about templates. Didn't know about .DOC versus .DOCX. Didn't know about compatibility mode.). They've refused to consider that their own bad habits are creating the very problems they're blaming on the software.

I write long technical documents in Notepad++, Word, Scrivener, whatever toolchain I need to get the job done in the least amount of time. (Why Notepad++? Regular expression support. Cannot be beat for bulk editing of data that's going to get included in a Word table.)

If Scrivener helps you get your writing done better/faster/according to whatever metric is important to you, it's the best. If it's not, research and maybe change your workflow, or find another tool.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:46 am Post

Thanks Devin for the response. What you say is true.

But, the experience, I suppose I'm gunning for is, not having to change apps, and keep my experience as distraction-free as possible. I guess I like having all my writing in one file format and only having to use one app to write. That's just the way I am. I suppose I should probably get with the times, but one cannot go against one's fundamental nature...leaving me still in certain flummox.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:06 pm Post

Or change your expectations.

Do you really need the level of crap available in other apps? most likely not. In my case (for work stuff) I tell folks "you're getting this in courier 12 with images sequenced at the end, deal with it". And they do. I simply don't DO layout anymore. what the default compile settings give is what folks get with me. My writing is the focus. It's my focus. The rest of it is just distraction.

Yes I'm privileged to be able to tell the office "live with it". You may not be able to do that, but I bet if you took a long hard look at all your "suggestions" you may realize that you are focused on things that just don't help the quality of your output improve*.

* I'm not sure who it was this leveled this directly at me (Mr Coffee**, GR, Hugh?) in almost the exact same way I'm leveling it at you. But they were right about me. I'm betting I'm right about you as well.

** This is not a direct quote but it is the BEST advice I've ever heard, and it applied to everything. It was from Mr Coffee (Sean Coffee): You want to get better at writing, shut up, put the ass in the chair and write. Ass in chair time is what makes you better. Nothing else.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:14 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Or change your expectations.

** This is not a direct quote but it is the BEST advice I've ever heard, and it applied to everything. It was from Mr Coffee (Sean Coffee): You want to get better at writing, shut up, put the ass in the chair and write. Ass in chair time is what makes you better. Nothing else. [/size]

Yes. Absolutely correct. "Ass in the chair time" is what counts. Possibly with the addition "..., combined with serious criticism from someone who knows about writing"

So stop fidgeting and start writing! It's the same with everything we humans do. What makes us good at something is the number of hours spent doing it.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 pm Post

Yeah, thanks for the advice, Jaysen. Needed someone to say it.

Ass-time is key.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:12 pm Post

Just not *too* much of it, otherwise different forms of bloatware may occur, particularly if you regularly import a lot of pizza. :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Sanguinius

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 pm Post

On a topic unrelated to the OP, does anyone know where I can get some cheap doxycycline?

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:12 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:On a topic unrelated to the OP, does anyone know where I can get some cheap doxycycline?

Sorry, you arrived too late. Old JeyRob has been chased out of town.

Meanwhile, on the subject of Compile...

"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:21 pm Post

KB wrote:
Sanguinius wrote:On a topic unrelated to the OP, does anyone know where I can get some cheap doxycycline?

Meanwhile, on the subject of Compile...

Back matter. Lot of happy writers.

Account closed January 2017

rdale

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:26 pm Post

KB wrote:

Dammit! I was *this close* to buying some of that--antibiotic? :|
KB wrote:Meanwhile, on the subject of Compile...

Nice! I've always wanted a preview window for compile time--how did you know it was on my Christmas list? :shock:
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:34 pm Post

rdale wrote:Nice! I've always wanted a preview window for compile time--how did you know it was on my Christmas list? :shock:

Actually, I realise now that the picture could be misleading without context. There's still no way to provide a live preview of your actual text, because that would involve compiling all of your text to show the preview. So what you see there is some dummy text to show you how your text *would* look if you choose this format with those layouts...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sanguinius

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm Post

Being able to eliminate indents on the first paragraph is going to make a lot of people happy. Looks good so far!

rdale

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm Post

KB wrote:
rdale wrote:Nice! I've always wanted a preview window for compile time--how did you know it was on my Christmas list? :shock:

Actually, I realise now that the picture could be misleading without context. There's still no way to provide a live preview of your actual text, because that would involve compiling all of your text to show the preview. So what you see there is some dummy text to show you how your text *would* look if you choose this format with those layouts...

Ah. That makes sense. I thought there would just be a long pause (depending on how much work compile had to do) when you selected a different compile preset on the left. Still, even if it's just an example of how text will look, it'll be nice.

But since I'm not getting a real preview for X-mas, can I have a pony?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Sanguinius

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:41 pm Post

rdale wrote:But since I'm not getting a real preview for X-mas, can I have a pony?

Yes, but it's blind, only has three legs and no hair. And it screams when you touch it.