Scrivener for Apple Watch

Being a vegeharian is all the rage these days along with wearing an Apple Watch with scrivener loaded up. I yearn to be great, alas, I am only fantastic.

2nd Class is good! Don’y fret y’self about it :wink:
Take care,
Vic [size=50]super-über-dooper[/size]K

Blogueiro, thank you for the reference to the Drafts app and its Watch capability. I just went and purchased it. It will really help capture those fleeting thoughts.

You’re welcome, scottj. If this thread is typical, though, L&L’s forum could use some gentle moderation if customers are actually going to find it useful.

We keep moderation to a minimum as much as possible, although we are always around checking most threads. We only prune or delete if people get rude or insulting. This is a discussion forum full of writers, so we do not try to stifle divagations. If a thread has spun off into random digressions and the op has not received an answer, however, we will step in and help or gently prod to get things back on track so that the user will not become frustrated at his or her thread being hijacked. This thread, however, was answered early on, and people are just having fun with the watch idea (something we have said we have no plans for), so I’m not sure why we would want to stem that, especially given that the op has been part of the good humour throughout. If users want formal answers from L&L without any sidetracking, they can email us directly, as we’re always on hand.

All the best,
Keith

Point taken, Keith - I misread the spirit of the forum. It’s just that after spotting an email notification that there’d been another post, clicking on a link, being asked for my username and password, forgetting them and having to look them up, finding the thread and navigating to the end to find the latest post, after all this I couldn’t help hoping for something relevant (like scottj’s post), not just another “bant”. The answer, of course, is not to be tempted by those notifications, but to ignore them once my question has been answered - as (you rightly point out) it had been in this case. Perhaps I should dabble in some other threads in which I don’t have a direct interest, and become more familiar with the style of the Scrivener community. Thanks again, Keith.

Now now, my dearest blogueiro, Keith may be all super serious about never wanting to design Scrivener for the Apple Watch, but some of us do like to dream about oh so silly things as life is too serious generally. If you have any ideas about the dream scrivener Apple Watch that can make you cappuccino while reading and writing the next great novel, feel free to shoutout here! We are all friends! I hope!

Funny you should ask. I sometime write flash fiction (250 words max) and can sometimes manage a sonnet, though the haiku’s discipline is beyond me. The final frontier: fiction to be read on a watch. I foresee a generously sponsored literary contest with no wordcount limit, just the judges’ patience as they squint at their wrists. And we, of course, would have an advantage, as we’d have Scrivener for WatchOS to help the literary juices flow.

Sometimes when working on a screenplay, random catch phrases come to me often when I least expect them. As catchy phrases are meant to entertain you at the spur of the moment, I can see the Apple watch being beneficial here.

Writing poetry can also be done too… In fact the Apple watch might even be ideal.

I think what we have here is a whole new literary form: wrist fiction. Okay, that sounds a bit weird. We should call it wearable fiction.

And Scrivener for WatchOS will definitely be the go to app for haiku poets. Scratch that. What I mean is that Lit ^Lat’s spin-off product Scrivku for watchOS will be the go to writing and social media app for composing and sharing your haiku on HaikuNet.

Well now. Perhaps full-blown Scrivener on the Watch is silly, but a quick manner of taking a note or memorializing a thought is very serious.

Say you’re driving and have a brainwave. What’s better, to pull off the road, find a safe place to park, pull out your phone, and call up an app so you can make your notation? Or tell yourself there’s no time, you’ll miss your appointment, you’re sure you’ll remember it, continue on your journey, and forget it utterly? Or attempt to covertly work your phone one-handed as you drive, plowing into a school bus and maiming a score of little tykes? …Or how about just raise your wrist and say “Hey, Siri, take a Drafts reminder, be sure to put a candlestick on the mantel for the butler to bludgeon the Admiral with.” Then, that evening, when you check your Drafts, there it is! Ready for incorporation into your magnum opus!

It would be nice to have that drop right into your Scrivenings somewhere, but this will do for now. Meanwhile the Drafts app does work nicely with the Siri Reminders mechanism, and Siri on the Watch is uncannily good.

The broader request for KB is, “Siri integration for Scrivener on iOS” rather than a version for the Watch per se. The Watch is just a portal to Siri with a tiny display. It has its place in a writer’s workflow, when immediacy is of the essence.

Scottj: When I follow these instructions, Siri puts the candlestick comment into Reminders instead of Drafts. I can work with that, but would prefer it to go into Drafts. Are there some settings I need to tweak?

And I’m sorry you told us it was the butler wot did it. You really should have used a spoiler alert.

Since we’re all friends and being honest, the vast majority of the time, forgetting it is probably best for all.

That’s easy. Learn to drive with your knees while you type.

Can only speak for myself, of course, but if I hit a school bus it’d be me with the shit end of the stick, not the little tykes …

May I suggest a schema?

While the Scrivener Scratch Pad works, it seems to work only while Scrivener is a running app. Many times inspiration hits, but Scrivener is not open. The steps to capture are multiple clicks long.

However, Omnigroup’s Omnifocus faces the same challenges as Scrivener – capturing and noting inspirations. In that, they succeed. Painlessly.

Omnifocus allows for an OS service that, when invoked by keyboard sequence, captures tasks in a window, passes them to application Inbox, and then is dismissible. It’s second nature to me to add random To Do tasks to OF’s project and task database, filing into the correct project later, when the app is open.

In intellectual effect, the Inbox lives above any of the projects containing tasks. Organization is deferred, but inspiration is captured.

The same metaphor might be applied to Scrivener. Above the Manuscript or Draft in the Binder could be another metaphor (the Inbox, the Foolscap, the Shoebox, etc.) where captured scraps of information would live until assigned into a specific project as a Scrivening.

It’s a thought.

Things, from AgileBits, works in much the same way, but I use it mostly for capturing “to-dos” on the fly - “remember the milk” is the classic example. For thoughts having to do with writing, on the other hand - fleeting images, metaphors, scraps of dialogue - I use Drafts, from AgileTortoise. Things and Drafts are both available on Apple Watch (though of course you can’t use a keyboard sequence on the watch).

I’m always getting AgileBits and AgileTortoise confused. Literature and Latte is a hokey name (sorry, Keith) but at least it’s memorable and distinctive.

Waking up this thread again, because with Apple’s next-gen watch, allow users to use cursive writing to ‘write’ out comments, I do think there is room, for some kind of writing app that L&L could make. Just throwing it out there for anyone who watched Apple’s Event yesterday, announcing the next gen watch.

I could see it, mainly as a way to jot random thoughts via scratchpad, and then have some way to input that into the scrivener.

My gut tells me that, 4-5 gens down the road, the apple watch might even replace the iPhone, with the ability to send and receive calls without the need of a tethered phone.

True … it’ll synch with your brain implant.

Things isn’t Agile, but it’s Cultured (Code) :mrgreen:

Things is fantastic! There has not been a day where I haven’t used it in my life since the time I bought it.

Couple Gens’ down the road, I’m gonna eventually shelve out money for on Apple watch, and when that happens it’s first thing I’m gonna put on it. Unless of course, Scrivener for Apple Watch hasn’t been made by then.