Writing Keyboards

A while back, someone opened a thread: ‘What do you look at while you type?’ I thought, :open_mouth: :frowning: “Wot?!. I go crosseyed, watching’ me two fingers jumping up-n-down on me friggin keyboard … wot else would I be lookin’ at?!” Of course, apart from me, all who responded revealed a load of interesting/amazing scenes that they looked at while typing. Would that not touch typing?

touch typing is taught here in the great north (Canada). I can’t imagine kids learning to type any other way. And yes, I think once you learn it, you don’t want to ever go back to becoming a look-and-see pecker of keys.

I’m in the US and we had computer keyboarding classes in junior high/middle school in the 90s. I guess I made the assumption that the rest of the country was as advanced as the small Nebraska city I grew up in and that everyone received this kind of training.

I would say that most computer users that expensive laptop computers are marketed towards are touch typists. People who care enough about their writing are most likely touch typists, as it makes little sense to do something you love in an inefficient way. So, yes, I do think that most people who write/edit text for a living touch type. As do engineers and computer programmers and doctors, most likely.

Again, this is all based on my own experiences as a student twenty-plus years ago in Nebraska. It’s absolutely possible that what we learned wasn’t taught as extensively elsewhere or that the training I received is no longer offered. If this is the case, then I weep for the future.

Even if you didn’t learn how to use a keyboard formally in some class, there are so many touch typing learning apps out there that could teach you if you wanted to learn. If you wanted to learn to type, no software would ever teach you to not touch type.

if you look at the real end point for TNG, there was no “typing”. It is was all “control interface” all txt input was spoken. That is what i predict. More voice recognition with less actual text and more direct recording of vocal/visual for person to person and post recording voice recognition for voice to text requirements.

Who really needs a keyboard in that world?

Could come in handy for those of us whose aging or otherwise debilitated vocal cords provide erratic output — and sometimes, none at all.

ps

Part of the pleasure of writing is that it is a tactile experience. Sometimes, I honestly think I feel the words in my fingers, and not in my head when I write. If any of you have had that out-of-mind experience, you know what I mean. That hasn’t changed since folks began chiseling their thoughts on tablets (the stone variety, not ones made by Apple and the like) eons ago. Such an experience is lost with dictation I feel. But perhaps I’m being a little nostalgic. I dunno…

ANYWAYS…

if they develop a touchscreen keyboard that can:

1. give you a DYNAMIC feedback, to indicate and reciprocate THE PRESSURE you’ve pressed your particular letter pressed
  2. Evolve the current layout so that the letters are more ergonomically placed (perhaps a curved layout as opposed to a linear one)
  3. make it pressure sensitive so that when you press hard, you get additional options for the letter (caps, accents, grave, symbols, etc)

…I think the benefits might actually outweigh the drawbacks. I wouldn’t mind trying to type on this setup when technology advances enough

or, even, typoesque erotica!! :open_mouth: :blush:

Hum… Isn’t this already there, both in iOS and the Mac?

Paolo

Well, it is press and hold (and hence universal) rather than force press, but definitely there!

I mean pressure sensitive with more than just two levels of pressure (hard and soft); something that imitates how you press keys. You don’t just press them hard or soft. Sometimes you press them really softly, and likewise really hard. If you’re going to make haptic feedback imitate the experience of a keyboard, the pressure experience needs to by dynamic, and not just a binary (hard vs soft).

This is certainly something for the future.

Because iOSScriv is so friggin’ awesome, last week I dove into the Apple world, and bought an iPad Air 2, a folding keyboard, and a 360 case (can position the iPad horizontally or vertically).

I have never used an iPad before, and played around with everything.

I was shocked at how well Apple’s speech recognition works, particularly with iOSScriv.

I have no doubt that I will continue writing & editing via typing, but I also foresee wearing my bluetooth headset and dictating first drafts to iOSScriv.

Jim

Looks like touchscreen keyboards are already starting to be made:

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-yoga-book/preview/

I’ve been writing for seven months, a total of 508,349 characters on a Logitech K800 keyboard logitech.com/en-ca/product/ … board-k800 . That’s around 300 keypresses per finger per day. Now I’m getting a painful sensation in my fingertips with every keypress.

The keys have a resistance that suddenly gives way at a certain force. Then that force propels the finger unrestricted into the bottom of the keystroke. There isn’t any absorption of the energy–you end up hammering the base of the keyboard at the end of every keystroke. When I really get going, I’m sure I use much more force than is required.

I ordered the Matias Mini Quiet Pro keyboard last night. Hope the keys are better.

Has anyone else had this problem develop in their fingertips?

Oh my, this looks fantastic!

I’ve been using Das Keyboards for years. I’ve now two 4C, that they no longer make, and that I think are the best keyboard ever conceived and produced.
Excellent precision, tactile feel, auditive response, build robustness, size.

Paolo

I’ve used the same set up for years. My old Apple Wireless keyboard, which I used to use with my MacBooks, is now the primary keyboard with my iPad Pro, often using my old Incase Origami keyboard case/ipad stand or (when at a desk) with the iPad boosted up near eye level by one of those little cheap folding tablet/phone stands. I really like it, but I found the constant pairing and re-pairing between my iPad and MacBook so tedious that now I just use the Macbook Pro’s own keyboard when it’s plugged into my cinema display. That 2015 vintage keyboard feels very similar to the Wireless Keyboard, which prevents typos due to constant switching back between different keyboard styles.

When I’m on the road or at a library, instead of the Apple keyboard, I’ll tote my ipad Pro and Logitech keys to go, which is light, thin and above all silent, very necessary when taking notes in a library or concert or lecture. But as much as I like it for note taking, I don’t recommend it for extensive typing. When I used it for hours at a time, I noticed some forearm pain, maybe due to its flatness?

I’ve not used it much (not had long holidays, yet!), but when going aroind with only the iPad I also carry with me a Perixx Periboard 805 II foldable keyboard (after having used for a little the previous version). It’s small, opens to a full size, has the same typining feeling as the old Apple Wireless Keyboard (never tried the new one with the non-removable battery).

perixx.com/catalog/product/view/ … tegory/15/

It pairs immediately, and works immediately. My only issue is with iOS’ lack of customizable keyboard layouts, forcing me to use a TextExpander set to simulate a modified Italian QZERTY layout. If was not for this, it could be the perfect typing combo while on the move).

Paolo

I also use the Perixx 805 II for travelling, and love it for that purpose.

I’ve just put in 4 weeks and 30k+ words on a Filco Majestouch MINILA Air 67 Key Tactile Action Bluetooth Keyboard, with Cherry MX Brown switches.

The name they gave the keyboard is bigger than the thing itself!

I write first drafts in HanxWriter (then copy to iOS Scrivener), and this is now my main keyboard for that purpose. It is a great bluetooth-only mechanical keyboard with a small footprint. It is significantly smaller than a typical full size, see the comparison at the Diatec site linked below, but it is solid and has suprising heft and weight. Takes 2x AA batteries - the rechargeables that I put in 4x weeks ago are still going. Bluetooth connection with my iPad is solid. I cannot detect any latency.

The feel of the Cherry MX Browns combined with the audio (via headphones) from HanxWriter’s typewriter simulation is a beautiful thing. The physical act of writing is always a pleasure now, even in the midst of struggling with a scene. :slight_smile:

Only downside of this keyboard is that the right shift key is half size. You can see it in the photos at the URL’s below. This was done so they could squeeze in arrow and delete keys on the right. It was initally annoying–that is a theme of the Amazon reviews–but ultimately I am okay with this design compromise, as having the arrow & delete keys easily accessible balances out the small shift. I have zero issues with it now, gotta love muscle memory. YMMV.

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=1468

Note: the photos at the Amazon page indicate a cable, which is not accurate. This keyboard is bluetooth only.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3V81VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers,
Jim

I am using the Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB, which is a budget gaming keyboard with Cherry MX red switches. I don’t need all the fancy lighting effects, so the Corsair Strafe cherry red with red backlight is perfect. It feels the same as the K70, but it works more. Not too loud. I like this keyboard, even if it is typing. It has a very strong construction quality, although not like my K70 Rapidfire. That is made of aluminum, and this is absolutely all plastic. It still has some weight but feels solid.