iPad air, mini or pro?

I’m considering getting an iPad Pro because of Pencil. I like the additional real estate on the 12", but am wondering if there is a corresponding horizontal stretch to the Scrivener keyboard there, same way as the standard iOS keyboard. (I have small hands, so something too large/wide can get actively painful.) Anybody out there with data?

The pencil is fantastic. It’s very close to using a pen and paper. Not quite, but almost, and in some ways better.

The keyboard stretches, but why tilt it?

Thanks for this useful set of comparisons, Charlie.

I have an iPad Air 2 with both a Zagg Folio and Zagg Slim Book keyboard case and its almost as good as my MacBookPro after loading Scrivener on it. The keys are nice and tactile like the Apple keyboards, and if I’m in an area of low light I can turn on the underlit keyboard lighting. It runs about two months on a charge (if I’m not running the keys lit up, or about 20 hours with the keyboard lit up, the newer non-lighting keyboard version of the Folio advertises a year between charges). and is comfortable to type on.

The iPad Pro is overkill for Scivener, though if you use the horsepower of the iPad Pro for other things when your not writing, I won’t complain that you use a Ferrari to run to the corner store for groceries…

I used the apple pencil at an Apple Store and found there was a noticeable delay in response; that is when you draw a line there’s a noticeable space between where you drop your pencil tip and where the line is actually drawn. Drawing still feels more natural with a pencil and paper. So I’ve decided to wait a few generations until they fix this; just don’t think the technology is 100%.

I have a Brydgeai Keyboard, combined with an original iPad Air.

Design is beautiful, it really looks like a small Macbook (check the pictures), it’s built in aluminium (some keyboards are lighter, but it’s okay with around 500 grams), it has backlights and typing is really like on a small Apple keyboard. Not really cheap though.
And it has built-in speakers that aren’t worth much.

I’m actually wondering if there’s a portable keyboard out there that feels like a traditional mechanical keyboard, and can be used for an iOS device. Everything out there seems to want emulate the typing experience on a MacBook; this is fine, unfortunately I tend to make more typing errors on the newer version of the MacBook than on traditional mechanical keyboard.

I use a Belkin

Traditional mechanical keyboards are inherently non-portable: that lovely touch comes from big clunky mechanical switches. However, if you don’t mind carrying a boat anchor around, you might try one of these:
wirelesshack.org/best-wirele … -2015.html

WASD is the gold standard in the mechanical keyboard world (a world populated by gamers, programmers, and a few writers), but they don’t make a wireless version. However, the keyboards in the article I linked use the same Cherry MX switches that WASD does.

Katherine

It aint cheap, and it ain’t for the faint of heart… But go here: learn.adafruit.com/convert-your … d/overview from there you have a IBM Model M Bluetooth you can pair with your writing device of choice and fullfill your fondest dreams. Also you’ll have a keyboard that pulls double duty as a weapon in case of riots, zombies, or rejection letters.

I’m not connected to either company other than being a customer of the latter and a fan of the former.

This article may help. This one goes into some detail. And this keyboard might be what you’re looking for. Personally, I love slim, laptop style keyboards (and so do others in the same room while I’m typing) but you’re not alone in preferring the big clacky ones, which many swear by.

Thanks so much for all this guys! After some consideration I don’t think portability can ever be seriously achieved with a mechanical keyboard as Katherine states. I think I’m just going to settle with the future of keyboards…razor thin and error friendly!

Brett-- I have bookmarked the razor keyboard for reference. It’s about the closest thing I want. I use an iPod to type my documents but should I decide to get an iPad your device will surely be on my list.

Has anyone tried this keyboard? http://matias.ca/quietpro/

I think the noisiness of mechanical keyboard is their greatest weakness. Also, the keyboard’s aren’t Bluetooth so I can’t use them on an iOS device.

So I guess from all this here’s what ultimately I’m trying to find:

A mechanical keyboard that:

1. Is portable, like the razer Brett referenced
  2. Is quiet, like the keyboard I just referenced in this post
  3. Can be thrown in a backpack without being damaged (it should have some kind of cover)
  4. Can be used for any tablet, phone, or iPod.

I know, I know, I’m being picky, but I’m just throwing it out there, in case someone fishes it out of the waters of cyberspace.

I had a Matias Tactile (not Quiet) Pro and a small condo some years back, until my wife understandably threatened divorce. It was REALLY clacky and she could hear it in another room even with the door closed. But actually the problem was switching back and forth between my PowerBook (or iBook, I forget which) keyboard and the Matias at home. Typos proliferated each time until my muscle memory readjusted. That wouldn’t happen if the mechanical keyboard were your only one, of course, and might not even if it were, but it didn’t work for me.

Since then I’ve been happily using the thin ones, including this extremely skinny Logitech Keys to Go with my iPad Pro. It’s extremely quiet (fabric covered keys) and light and takes up virtually no space in my bag. Got it refurbed for $14, I think.

Coincidentally, this review of the Razer just appeared.

I’ve just got the Razer keyboard. I’m still assessing it, but I think when I get used to it, I’ll like it. It’s got that definite mechanical click and the action seems nice and light. Some slight differences to the standard keyboard layout, but I’m sure I’ll adjust to them.

I’ll report back further when I’ve used it a bit more.

Sadly, I think I’m going to have to return the Razer keyboard. :frowning:

The key action is wonderful, but the keyboard layout issues are just too much for me. The positioning of the navigation keys in relation to the right hand shift key is just too awkward for my hands and even after just a short typing session it causes a lot of discomfort when I have to reach for the shift with my right little finger. I also keep hitting the up arrow key or the forward slash on a regular basis when I want a capital.

The Razer is a lovely piece of kit, and maybe for somebody with larger hands and longer little fingers it might be just the ticket, but my hands are small and my little fingers are weirdly shorter than I’d realised. :open_mouth:

So it’s back to my Zagg Slimbook. Weighs a ton, and the key action isn’t as light as the Razer, but the layout is much more comfortable and mirrors the layout of my Macbook. I’ve got the Smart keyboard too, which is okay in an emergency but with a heavier key action, no backlight and no choice of angles.

A couple of questions portiacosta:

1. Is the experience of using the Razer keyboard a loud experience compared to say the experience on old macbook?
  2. Is there any way to remove the keys, without violating warranties? On traditional mechanical keyboards, it’s rather easy to remove the keycaps? The thing is, I type with a dvorak configuration from a hand injury, so I need to swap keys.
  3. Isnt’ the zagg slimbook, one of those foldable mini keyboards? Why should it weigh a ton? Unless I’m mistaking the product you are referring to.

Hi!

No, the Razer keyboard isn’t particularly loud. Bit of a clickety click, but not deafening. Wouldn’t say it was much, if any louder than a Macbook. A different sort of sound.

No idea whether taking the keys off invalidates the warranty. At a guess, I say probably. There’s nothing in the documentation about converting to Dvorak. Maybe you could contact Razer from their web site?

The Zagg doesn’t fold. The keyboard itself is one solid piece, plus a plastic back case for Ipad and it’s very heavy. Over 2 lb when attached to Ipad.

HTH

hi portiadcosta,

many thanks for your response. so I guess it’s a quiet mechanical keyboard then.

Can one use the keyboard for other iOS devices or is it strictly an accessory to an iPad pro 12.9?

I will contact razor for other needs, but many thanks for your response!

I think I read somewhere that it can be paired with other iPads etc. It’s Bluetooth, so doesn’t rely on the Smart connector and can be used ‘unattached’ to the case that fits on the back of the iPad Pro. I must say, the kickstand is a useful feature of the Razer case.

HTH