Help! Downloaded update now Scrivener won't load

Update - I’ve managed to do it! Yay. I’ve sent the email with a dropbox link. Just checking - is it windows DOT support?

Hi Tricia - Sorry you were having some trouble getting the files. I see you did get it all running and sent them to support (yep, with the dot was the correct address), so thank you very much for that!

I’m having the same issue with everyone else on the thread. I updated Scrivener to 1.9.5 and now it won’t load. This is on Windows 10.

I completely uninstalled, reinstalled, made sure antivirus was off. Ran CC Cleaner, checked the file system, and tried to run in compatibility mode. It wouldn’t load.

Things I noticed, before I completely uninstalled the program, Scrivener didn’t show as a background process. After I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled it did. The very first time I tried to update it, the process somehow got interrupted. I don’t know if that started my issues.

Regardless, I’ve gone back to 1.9.0 I did save the log files as Jennifer requested in an earlier thread and I will email them to windows support.

Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Okay, I’m having the same problem:
Installed the new update.
It installs and does not report any problems. - pops up the readme file. Creates new desktop icon.
Attempting to open fails - nothing happens. Scrivener does not open, does not give error message.
Nothing happens if I click on the desktop icon.
Nothing happens if I go thru the Programs/Scrivener menu.
I tried a complete uninstall followed by a fresh install of the latest version: Same result, Scrivener will not open.
I ran the two powershell scripts you specificed, but no files were created on my desktop.
This is on Windows 7.
Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Edit: I rolled back to version 1.9.0.0 and that version still works fine.

Hi cma01 - Thanks for copying the logs. Did you have a chance to send them yet? I didn’t see an email from your forum address, but I realize it may have been under a different account/name, so I just want to be sure I don’t miss it. (windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, Attn: Jennifer) Thank you!

Hi jimbro - Could you try grabbing the event logs? Those might be most helpful. For the powershell lists, try these commands instead:

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize

This will spit out a list right in the window. Go ahead then and run this command:

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table –AutoSize

That will give another list in the window. Then right-click the window title bar and choose Select All, press Enter to copy the text, and then paste it into a new text document (Notepad or WordPad is fine) that you can save and send. Thank you!

Ok. I have the event logs now and have emailed them to you.
Hope they help. Best wishes.

Okay. After version 1.9.5.0 failed to load, I rolled back to 1.9.0.0 and have been using it the last few days.
When I opened it today, I got the notice that 1.9.6.0 was available, so I downloaded and installed that.
As before, it appears to install fine. I even got to the readme file. The desktop icon was created, and the program was listed under All Programs/Scrivener.
However same problem - Scrivener does not load when selected.
Curiously, the “Uninstall Scrivener” program that was installed with 1.9.6.0 does load and work. I was able to use that to uninstall 1.9.6.0 and reinstall 1.9.0.0

Oh no! IThe new update works for me but then somehow 1.9.5 had decided to too. That’s strange…

I’m having exactly the same issue after installing. Had to go back to my earlier version. Thought it was just me because I’m on XP.
I see it isn’t. :question:

If you can get it you could try the update just released Marta - that might work better. 1.9.6

Hi
Do you have a link?

No - it came up like the previous one on my version as I’d got it working again by then. Hopefully one of the team will see this and put in a link.

Thanks, Tricia

This a direct link to the new Scrivener for WIndows v1.9.6.0 full installer: http://literatureandlatte.com/download_action.php?url=http://scrivener.s3.amazonaws.com/Scrivener-installer.exe

You can download it also from the Scrivener for Windows home page.

I don’t know what’s going on here but the installer I just downloaded from the L&L site says it’s installing 1.9.5, not 1.9.6. Whichever version it is, it does not run once installed.

You are indeed correct Mick S. Our official link is till not updated to the new version. It will be fixed shortly. Please, try in an hour or two the same link.

My memory may have failed me, but didn’t we have this same problem about two years ago?
Some of us had to skip a version, but a new version that followed up quickly fixed everything.

The official download link should point to Scrivener v1.9.6.0 now.

Just downloaded 1.9.6. EXACTLY the same problem as 1.9.5 – installs but does NOT pull up.
I’ve had to uninstall reinstall several times and go back to 1.90.
Is this being tested on a 32 bit system?
If its not meant to work on a WIN XP, please let us know :cry:

Beautiful plumage, the Norwegian Blue - if you take my meaning - nudge nudge, wink wink.

1.9.6 has failed to achieve lift off … Picture, if you will, deeply arched eyebrows and imagine the sound of fingers drumming rhythmically on a desk. I reported this issue to L&L tech support on the 19th of last month, after having first tried just about all the fiddles suggested in this thread.