Scrivener for Apple Watch

Sorry, but I’m being driven to the competition for lack of an Apple Watch application. Don’t make me switch to the new Scriwatch app, now in beta, that also is said to make a decent cappuccino… What’s your ETA?

I use Drafts on Apple Watch all the time. To save Keith from having to develop a comparable Scrivener product on the Watch, I thought Drafts themselves might be willing to design some kind of link to Scrivener for iOS. Thus, I wrote to Agile Tortoise (the Drafts people) and they replied: “Check with [Scrivener’s] support team if they offer support for URL scheme integration. If they point you to documentation, let me know and I will help you construct an action for Drafts and add it to our directory.”

So Keith, could you please give me some “documentation” for “URL scheme integration” that I can pass along to Drafts? It’ll be the next best thing to having Scrivener on my Watch - and yes, you skeptics out there, it is critical for some of us to capture those fleeting ideas. This can be done far more easily on a watch than on a phone buried deep in a pocket or backpack.

Thanks!

We don’t have a custom URL scheme right now. The problem in Scrivener is that if another app passes it data, Scrivener doesn’t know where to put it because of the project-based system, so that’s a technical issue I’m pondering on.

It’s already there, and have been for some time, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread: the Scratch Pad.

You take a note in Drafts, invoke the action “Send to Scratch Pad” – done! The next time you open Scrivener you can look at your Scratch Pad and insert the note in the correct place.

So there is no need to spend time on this. There is already a solution.

Good grief! Surely you can’t be serious? Sorry, but this sounds like a desperate justification for having bought an Apple Watch. :unamused:

I don’t own an Apple Watch, but waiting for Scrivener iWatch will be a great excuse to procrastinate my writing again, now that I’ve just lost my main excuse for laziness over the past two years.

Feature idea: could you enable Siri with some kind of AI to generate novel text for us? For example, I might dictate: “Siri, write love scene between Bill and Ann” and Siri spits out something marvellous in to my .scriv? Then I could also write my novel while jogging (though I don’t currently jog).

Once this is enabled I’ll feel able to start writing again.

Hilarious thread from Keith’s initial “No!” to the “could use it while jogging but I don’t currently jog.”
Apart from notetaking while lounging on the sofa wondering whether to take up jogging, how about putting the daily writing target on an activity ring? Except, I don’t currently use the daily writing target…

I believe the word on this is that Scriv does not currently support a URL scheme.

How many more years will I have to wait for the Scrivener watch app? :wink:

There would surely be an Apple Newton port before that.

apple watch.jpg

Fantastic, I can’t wait…

Scriv Watch.jpg

… but I think it will require new glasses, and much more pointed fingers. :smiley:

lunk-- We good? I know our last correspondence didn’t end too well. I just wanted to apologize on my part; that day I began a new medication regime, and some of the side effects affect my emotionality. Essentially, I was on a high, and wasn’t really thinking clearly and taking things way too personally. So I’m very sorry about what happened.

As for your picture, I know you’re joking but it got me thinking… Ultimately using Scrivener in the conventional sense wouldn’t work on that apple watch; your picture proves that. But in the same way you search for apps on the apple watch – that is you move the bubbles until the biggest one becomes the one you select, maybe that could be a way to search for scrivinings, which each scrivining being a bubble that you can open, and when you do open a scrivening, it immediately opens to some sort of dictation panel.

Just a thought. I know most people chuckle at this thread (as do I) and don’t take it seriously but there’s a part of me wondering, maybe there’s some merit to something I originally thought of as a joke.

We’re good.

As for the Apple Watch - I can see the merit in getting reminded by a calender app, quickly see who sent a message, and so on, and maybe also to save a sudden idea by telling Siri to save it, e.g. by using Drafts or some other simple notes app. But I don’t see the point of having really complex software, like Excel, Word or Scrivener on the Watch.

Personally I prefer to have dedicated, specialized apps, designed for specific tasks, which can communicate with each other. rather than one single giant multi-task app aiming at being able to handle everything.

I agree. Scriv for Apple Watch should it ever be created by the great hands of Keith should be extremely skimpy in features and should be bareboned just enough that you can dictate an idea or two when you’re in the moment, have it sent somewhere in scrivener for safekeeping, and that should be the end of it.

I was thinking about this while stuck in traffic.

If you wore two Apple Watches side-by-side and enabled screen sharing, one watch could display the Binder and the other watch the Writing area.

Thoughts on this? Does Scrivener support screen sharing?

If you are being serious:

I think having two watches side by side would be difficult to wear. You might as well strap your iPhone to your wrist and use that.

if you are joking:

I think this is a pretty good idea. If you had a third Apple watch, you strap it to your forehead, directly in front of your eyes to enable full-screen mode!

I’d be endlessly amused by Scriv for Watch, even though, as people have already said here, we already have it with Drafts and the Scratchpad. BTW, having a Watch I can tell you one thing: it ain’t a productivity tool. At best, it’s a fitness toy. Or just a toy :smiley:

Yeah, it’s what is preventing me from buying it ultimately. Just can’t seem to not think of it as a fancy toy for those who can afford it. Perhaps one thought (for Apple and not L&L), is to have an Apple watch that doubles as a projector. Imagine: you take off your watch, lay it supine on a table, and out shoots a projected image on a wall from some hole on the watch. If you can connect a bluetooth mouse, and keyboard, essentially you have a working computer, the likes of which can certainly include Scrivener as part of your workflow!

Alas, the world isn’t fast enough for my thoughts…

So I’ll have to settle for Scriv on my little iPod.

Forget the Watch. What we really want is a full-immersive Scrivener. Strap on the goggles. I want to walk through my Binder, explore its by-ways. I want to get in there and do battle with my adverbs and have to pray to the meta-data that I am the victor. Distraction-free writing? Hit full-screen and – boom – your text is the universe and you are the cursor.

-gr