How Does iOS Handle Sync Conflicts?

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 pm Post

Discipline, yes is a virtue. But the Devil must have his due, I'm afraid. We don't all drive stick for a reason: our laziness supersedes any desire to save gas (which, from what I'm told, when driving stick, tends to happen).

Writing should be about writing. Not saving. That's something a computer should figure out for itself. Or at least that is what the masses will think or want. Or think that is what they want.

People like thinking. Just not thinking too much. And that's what I'm afraid what Keith's choice will lead to.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:34 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:People like thinking. Just not thinking too much. And that's what I'm afraid what Keith's choice will lead to.

You seem to be mistaking choice for necessity.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Discipline, yes is a virtue.

Oh no, not in my book. Cats have no discipline and they seem to be more happy than most humans.

yosimiti wrote:Writing should be about writing. Not saving. That's something a computer should figure out for itself. Or at least that is what the masses will think or want. Or think that is what they want.

I agree, writing should be about writing.
"Hey, you, where do you think you're going with that iPad? What..? Oh no you don't. Sit down and keep on writing!" *grumble* "I don't understand all this about moving around, going elsewhere to write and all that. Writing should be about writing, and to do that you sit down and sit still."

yosimiti wrote:People like thinking. Just not thinking too much.

What? Are we suddenly discussing politics?
It reminds me of an old saying in Sweden when you describe people: "Oh, he thinks a lot, but not very fast."
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Redfox

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm Post

Since the copy of your project on Dropbox is a normal .scriv file, presumably it has the usual facility for backups and snapshots? I routinely back up my WiP after a major session, just to be on the safe side - and it would seem to me that this is sensible with any multi-device setup. As the recent meme says, "there is no cloud - it's just a hard drive on someone else's computer".

The most work I've ever lost was not in Scrivener but in Notebooks before they introduced "proper" syncing that handles conflicts - and that was maybe 600 words. Fortunately I was able to reconstruct the scene from memory :shock:
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:52 pm Post

Yep, you can take snapshots and make backups in the Mac version, and you can export or send zipped backups of the project in iOS. It's the same project on both devices, but you won't see snapshots in the iOS version as that feature is not supported.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kewms

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:53 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Keith, I'll tell you right now...there are gonna a lot of whiners if users have to manually do anything. We're in an age of automatism and people don't like to manually do anything, no matter how much you officiate that it's 'good for you' or that you should develop some kind of discipline. I'm not saying I won't; I'm just giving a heads up that there are gonna be a lot of whiners to this.

I've seen enough data loss when the 'magic' of iCloud and Google Drive failed to 'just work' to be a firm believer in giving users control over their own data.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Redfox

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:20 am Post

KB wrote:Yep, you can take snapshots and make backups in the Mac version, and you can export or send zipped backups of the project in iOS. It's the same project on both devices, but you won't see snapshots in the iOS version as that feature is not supported.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith! I wasn't expecting iOS to have all the features of the Mac version, but exporting is the next best thing!
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

Ra
Rayz

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 am Post

yosimiti wrote:Discipline, yes is a virtue. But the Devil must have his due, I'm afraid. We don't all drive stick for a reason: our laziness supersedes any desire to save gas (which, from what I'm told, when driving stick, tends to happen).

Writing should be about writing. Not saving. That's something a computer should figure out for itself. Or at least that is what the masses will think or want. Or think that is what they want.

People like thinking. Just not thinking too much. And that's what I'm afraid what Keith's choice will lead to.

I can see what you’re saying, but I've been using Scrivener iOS for a while now, and yes, the manual syncing did bother me for a while (about ten minutes, give or take). However, in practice it isn't really that big a deal.

The app does a pretty good job of reminding you when a sync is needed: you start up and it checks Dropbox to see if you've got any changes. If you have, then you sync. You also get a little symbol on the icon to remind you when you have changes to upload. In between that, you can forget it's there. I don't save periodically, so it doesn't really interrupt my train of thought; when I'm done writing for an hour then one extra step isn't really going to make any difference to my creativity. If it was intrusive then I would have a real problem with it; I just didn't think it was.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

xiamenese

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 am Post

yosimiti wrote:People like thinking. Just not thinking too much.

Here we have the exception that proves the rule.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …