Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

We are all sad, I think. Personally I now do use Scrivener Windows with PlayOnLinux on Linux Mint 17.3. And I must say, that although the Linux version runs a bit smoother, I have no major problems, none of the issues you seem to experience.

However if you cannot live with a non-Linux program, then maybe you should give Writer’s Café a try (writerscafe.co.uk). It is from the guy (Julian Smart) and company (Anthemion) who make Jutoh. Everything is a bit simpler but basically you can do the same things as with Scrivener. The Storyline corkboard is even better. However managing your research material is not as elegant as in Scrivener as well as the look & feel.If you give it a try and decide to buy it then ask Julian for sending you the version 2.40.2, which for whatever reason is not on the website and which he made for me to fix some bugs I reported in January.

Did I mention how much I appreciate that L&L even released a Linux version? I do.

Most companies don’t have the… um… guts to even bother with it.

So, thanks again. You’ve earned my respect, and I will be buying the Windows version in the future, as I won’t be able to pay for a Linux version. It’s the least I could do.

A modest suggestion: if Scrivener for Linux isn’t doing it for you, and Scrivener for Windows running under Wine isn’t satisfactory, for whatever reason, then it’s possible to make what I’ve found to be a nice accommodation: for field and home use, I’ve found the kid-tested Lenovo X130e* notebook computer to be an ideal field-rugged unit with a full-size keyboard that’s a touch-typist’s dream. Get a good one, used, and install Scrivener and Scapple and MarkdownPad for full-screen rough drafting in markdown … and air-gap it.** Use it for a dedicated writing and editing machine. Write out the work to a thumb drive and hit the net with an armored machine of choice.

I got mine in pristine condition for $53 (plus $27 shipping; east coast to west coast delivery.)
Scrivener for Windows was half-price thanks to L&L’s excellent nanowrimo reward program.

*Lenovo X130e: fourth-generation battle-hardened ‘netbook’ for K-12 classroom use. Tough!
**air-gap=>Do not touch the internet with your magic writing tool. There be dragons.

I’m having problems downloading the German dictionary directly from within the application; it always fails. So I downloaded it from the provided link but the directions only explain how to manually install it on a Windows machine.

I can’t figure out where to put it under a Linux (Mint 17) installation.

Any hint/help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I’m using Linux Mint too (17.3) and my files are here:
img-018.png

Hi all,

I know Linux is no longer supported. I just started using Scrivener once again for a couple of projects. I already own the Windows version and keep my files on Dropbox. I would like to use both Linux and Windows sharing my files on Dropbox. Are there any compatibility issues with doing something like this. I hope someone is taking a look at this forum…or I might find my answer the hard way :wink: Thanks for the product!

I’ve found the Linux and Windows scrivx project files to be compatible, no problems. It helps that the Linux version was compiled from the Windows source files.

Hi, I just wanted to say that Scrivener is brilliant, I’m so glad there is a version for Linux and that you’re letting it out for free! Thank you on all counts :smiley:

Of COURSE, in spite of Lee saying they’re done… Someone had to ask about the latest Windows incremental update. Specifically the folder sync option! I broke down and bought an Acer Cloudbook for the battery life and overall portability, but it’s just downright PAINFUL watching Windows10 try to run on it! I even shopped for a refurbished 64gig version, but with 2gig of ram and MS bloat, it micro-freezes constantly trying to limp through a task. Time for a Mint break.
Is there any chance, outside chance, even a teeny one, maybe a little, of seeing a recompile?

Well, I do use the Mac and Windows and iOS versions, but I also use Linux from time to time and I do like having a
version of it on there as well. I think that it is a good thing, since Linux is very rarely supported by commercial software.
Thank you for the release I use it every time I’m running Linux. Which is quite a lot.

I do have one question though, do you think that you could make an android version of the software as well, That would be cool to see.

Due to WIN10 I’m changing to Linux/UBUNTU permanently. I very much appreciate that this Beta is available, so I can continue my work, with some smaller drawbacks, as I know from Windows. However, I would very much appreciate a fully supported LINUX version.

I’m able to run Scrivener for Windows 1.9.6 very nicely under WINE on a Debian linux variant, stable version “Jessie.” WineHQ has released a script update that links to their continuous updates, which helps. The recent improvements in Scrivener are worth trying out, if WINE works for you.

I will give it a try. I also run EVE-Online so. :mrgreen:

But for programs which need “open file”, “save file” e.t.c. the Windows-like handling is a drawback, as the filesystem structure differs from the UNIX filesystem structure. I would prefer to get rid of the "z:" mountpoints. The other alternative could be to keep a WIN7 environment in a virtual box. At least until 2020 … :smiling_imp:

Does it work in Ubuntu 16.04?

Sorry for my bad english, but i try my best:
I’m new to Scrivener and also to the Linux-World (Linux Mint 18, Cinnamon 64-bit) . But i wanted to test both this weekend and had the problem with the german dictionaries. I found this:

But this haven’t worked and it took me a while to figure out what the problem is. So if you download the dictionaries you have to “paste” them to “/home//.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Scrivener/Aspell/dict”. I didn’t know that directories starting with a dot, are hidden and i have to manually enter the path, so that took me a while too.

The second problem was that i couldn’t choose any language in the selection menu (it was empty). Then i tried the download again. It didn’t work, but deleted those .rws and .multi files i put there earlier.
To keep it short: open the wine-config, select the “applications”-tab and select “Windows XP” (mine was set to Win7. Win8 will cause the same problem), as the Windows-version, at the bottom. Put the dictonary-files in the dict folder and then you should be able to choose it in the menu.

Everything works fine so far. But i don’t have a big project and don’t use every aspect of the tool (yet). But it works now and maybe someone else can make use of my mistakes.

Got it working in ubuntu 16.04 by installing this package:
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

Thank you for the upgraded Linux version (to run under Ubuntu on a rather old HP laptop.)
I also purchased a Windows version (to run under WINE, and in appreciation.)

I don’t know if anyone from Literature and Latte reads this forum, but thank you for the new version for Linux. I do have the windows version, but use a Chromebook mostly. I can install Linux on the Chromebook, so I can use the Linux version. I saw that my Windows versions wanted to update, but I put it off for a while because I didn’t think Linux would be updated.

I am glad I saw that it has been! Thank you so much!!

Hi,

I try hard to install french dictionaries but I can’t.
Any help very welcome in this thread maybe :slight_smile:

My very best