Who's in for Nano 2015?

I’m in. I’ve got a basic plot, some characters, and a setting. :mrgreen:

Woo hoo! I poked around on my hard drive and found a folder that was miscellaneous stuff I’d brought over from three computers ago, including a whole folder labeled ‘story ideas never started.’ :smiley:

Actually liked two or three, but there was one clearly best suited to Nano-ing. So now I have a genre (murder mystery) and antagonist (well worked out already) victims 1 & 2 (sketched in) and a raft of ideas for clues and plot twists. What more can I need?

Well, okay, a protagonist. Right now his (her?) complete character portrait consists of "police detective.’ But no prob – I’ve got nine days to ponder that.

Count me in!

I’m in. It’s crazy. This is no country for old men. But I have this film script that has grown out of it’s format. Instead of over and over taking it out, look at it and say to myself, that, maybe, it is more of a novel - I’ll try to make it into a novel. Perhaps that doesn’t work out. Then at least I know, and can bury it in good conscience.

Yay!

That is true and is totally the Nano philosophy. :slight_smile:

Importing research documents - Just drag them to the Research Section in the bottom left of your project’s Binder. Scrivener will convert them to rich text format documents and they can be accessed anytime by clicking on them. And you can copy and paste material between your research documents and your novel if you need to.

And re the outlining of a novel, there are lots of ways to do it. I sometimes use folders for the sections of the manuscript and then group scenes into folders. So if you are following a three act structure you could have folders called Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3 and then group the scenes together in those folders. Or you could just have all your scenes as separate documents in your Draft Folder and then drag them around to position them as needed. Last year for Nano I was trying to write to a novel plotting thing I found so I had labelled all the sections according to that structure: sort of 1, 2, 3 etc.

I don’t know if that helps at all. If not, ask more questions. :slight_smile:

literatureandlatte.com/docum … win-a4.pdf

Appendix D is quite useful, too. That way you aren’t locked into one set layout for chapters, even.

I’m in as StaceyUK!

Good Luck, Princess
Vic xx x

You in this year, Vic? :smiling_imp:

Nope. :frowning: I would if I could … but I can’t … so I shan’t :frowning:

Bummer!

Yeah! truly. Even more annoying, is the fact that I have so much free time on my hands, I could probably spew out 150K a month, let alone 50K. Trouble is, if your ignition key is burnt out, you can’t rev up and get going.
If you’re taking part, this year, Good luck
Vic

OK, I’m in. I never get time to write anything these days, so if I don’t do something radical I will forget how to string words together (even rubbish words, such as I suspect I will write when I start an unpremeditated novel from scratch tomorrow). I’m “Sabre” in the NaNoWriMo forum, if anyone wishes to seek me out and remind me that I’m meant to be taking part and not wandering off and forgetting about it.

Yeah, I hear you. The content farm I wrote for horribly burned me out so badly I couldn’t write music for awhile. (I use writing to keep things flowing, creatively speaking, since I don’t have as much a professional stake in it. I don’t have to care as much. :slight_smile: )

Do we have a L&L group going? :slight_smile:

Hmmm :smiling_imp: That sounds kinky :wink:

:laughing: Good Luck, luv
Vic

For me, when a set of very specific circumstances prevail, it’s literally as though their is a short-circuit somewhere twixt my brain and my fingertips. It’s weird.
Take care,
Good luck
Vic

I have a permanent short-circuit between my brain and my fingers; it used to be called an “idiopathic tremor”, but the quacks now call it an “essential tremor” … they are not amused when I tell them that as far as I’m concerned it is non-essential, unnecessary, de trop, etc.! :unamused: But I still have to live with it.

But it’s not that that stops me doing NaNoWriMo … simply that I don’t have a novel in me. I could give up the time and try to write 2000+ words of plotless gibberish each day, but see no point in that. So, as the dragons say, “I’m out!”

Mr X

I have long since been forced to admit that I don’t have a novel in me either. But 50,000 words isn’t really a novel, and it’s good mental exercise. Better, at any rate, than not writing anything at all from one end of the year to the next, which is the pattern that I have slipped into.

Hornswaggle to the both of you.

I suppose it’s possible that you’ve not yet had an idea you’re passionate enough about to pass Morrell’s Law, and I might even be prepared to accept (although I’ve seen no evidence to support) the notion that there are still elements of the craft that you’d do well to practice and develop further before working on your magnum opus.

But to declare that you don’t have a novel in you is awfully self-fulfilling, and we’ll have none of that nonsense 'round 'ere.