Novel-in-a-Day 5: Go Set A NiaD

Your own writing is version / technology agnostic, because briefs will be sent as PDFs and you’ll be submitting chapters as a readily importable format such as RTF.

I’ll be using Mac 2.7 to produce this year’s books, so the scrivener project will be a new version project file. If the Windows version that runs the new format is still in beta then I’ll also provide an old-format Scriv file, but if there’s an official release to Windows by then, just the latest format will be posted.

Good question, Jaysen.

I would love to take part in this! What a fantastic idea!

I understand I may need to provide a writing sample. Should I post links here or send them to an email address?

Please register me for NiaD 2015!

I participated last year, and it was a lot of fun.

I’ve read all the FAQs cuz I’m anal that way and understand them and can’t believe that this is the first I’m hearing about this event that I’m super excited to try and I can so do it and I want in and yes! Please sing me up!!!

Yes, please, I’d like to participate, too!!

(How 'bout dem Cowboys.) Boo Dallas, Vikings all the way.

The timing works out great for us desert folks, one notch further west from those stuck in Dallas. The PDF arrives around 5 PM, then the writing begins. The guttural responses coming from my desk area let the rest of the house know that creation is taking place. Long exposure to creation days, has taught the boys that they will get a better quality of reaction from a pet. If really in need a sibling will have to do; as a result the normal clamor recedes. No need to call child services they are all nearly grown adults at this point. Heck the kids may even be out on dates or working a pick-up shift, Friday night is great for writing.

8 PM I stop for a pee, and a snack, then check the social media and then damn it is 9 PM, back to work. Later, it might be kind of late, perhaps well past my normal bedtime, the draft is done. I trundle off to bed wondering what the rest of you all are doing. Kabluwie, inspiration strikes, I force my body up so that I can jot down the line that works so well, ties the whole chapter together, then at last I can sleep…?

The alarm rings. I wonder why it is ringing so early on the one day I get to sleep in. I bolt out of bed because deadline. Tea made, oatmeal ingested, I walk calmly to the computer. I click the mouse to wake up the infernal contraption. My work from the night before has not been maliciously deleted as I feared. However I do remove the important line I got out of bed to include, it was sh%&.

Even after breakfast there is time for a few revisions. Oodles of time, why do I feel like something can still go wrong. The formatting is as good as I will ever do. Word choices could be improved, sentence structures tightened up, but no more time for this years effort. I hit send, here you go Pigfender, the ball is in your court now.

nav66, welcome back! I’ve added you to the list.

CoralRussellBooks, Catcher74, and johnnybgoode, I’ve sent you a forum message with the next steps!

RonjoI, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be a good season to be a Cowboys fan anyway!

Mister Pigmeister, are you still adding folk to the do or … ? Just wanna know as I send out my tsu invites. Oh, and did I hear writely that there will be a purple pen prize this year? :open_mouth: 8) :unamused:

Would an interim pair of briefs do until they get back from reproduction? Surely, you’re not so ill prepared!

Yup, I reckon we’ve got just over a week longer for people to sign up! :smiley:

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 20.55.00.png
:open_mouth:

Hi Pigfender

Sorry but I am going to have to pull out of NIAD this year- something has cropped up on the day.

(Nothing to do with domestic violence jokes, I hasten to add…)

Thanks for letting me know, Foxtrot.

For the rest of you… this time next week we’ll be writing the books!
:open_mouth: :smiley:

Is there any chance I can still sign up for this years NIAD? I generally write short stories, though I’ve taken part in NANOWRIMO several times.

Thanks - with fingers crossed.

Based on the state of my unmentionables drawer, any briefs would be acceptable. I apparently have little standard and purchase the cheapest, and hence lowest quality, undergarments possible. Since the majority of my life is spent with immense and direct pressure on such flimsy fabric they need all the support they can get. The back up bench is deep. And wide. In all the connotations of wide. I admit it, I need to lose more than a few pounds. It might be easier to measure in terms of 3yr olds. Or terriers. In either measure I’m shooting to divest myself of 3.6 units.

Ahhh … thanks for sharing.

Hey Camy. I’ve sent you a forum message with the next steps!

[b][size=200]IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO THINKS THAT THEY SHOULD BE INCLUDED BUT WHOSE NAME IS NOT LISTED IN THE SECOND POST OF THIS THREAD…

PLEASE CONTACT ME![/size][/b]

I am very close to locking the participant list now. So if you’ve not responded to requests for writing samples then time is running out!

I’m also pretty sure that I’ve sent requests to everyone who has expressed an interest, but if you’ve not received that PLEASE CHASE ME as otherwise my records have you down as requested but not responded.

The definitive list of who I think is taking part is HERE.

I’m in! Last year was a great experience. I can’t wait to do it again this year. :smiley:

If it is not too late could I pretty please be included? I actually have the day off work for once! Sorry if this comes too late.

Hi Jake0, welcome to the forum! I’ve sent you a forum message with the next steps.

Peytonic, welcome back!