Novel-in-a-Day 5: Go Set A NiaD

Piggiemeister, I do have one question about the time. So, that’s midnite UK time. Five minutes after midnite would have us on the 17th of October side of things or the 18th of October side of things. I just don’t want to arrive a day late or a day early and find no party to be had. If, instead, we were to say 23:59 on the 17th of October, would the 24 hours of writing be just about to conclude or just about to start? I find that midnight for some folk happens at the end of the day or the start of the day and I always have to clarify which.

By the way, I bought a new party frock just for the occasion. :unamused:

Though it might prove entertaining, I suspect there might be messiness afterwards do contend with. I’m sure then at that precise moment something would pop up on my calendar and I’d have to bail out on clean-up.

I hope that’s not foreshadowing or foreboding or an omen of some sort. :open_mouth:

:smiley:

IndyRobitaille, Thompsonek, Welcome to the forum! I’ve sent you a Direct Message with next steps.

Wolf_Baginski, Thanks for the linked work. I’ve added you to the list, and welcome to NiaD! I’ve also sent you a Direct Message with a few follow on Qs to get everything lined up for the big day!

I’ll post some links to the start and finish times in local timezones later (I’m on vacation at the moment, hence the slightly delayed responses to everything). For now: Start time is (as always) very early in the morning of the Saturday, UK time. So for simplicities sake, lets call that 0:01am Saturday 17th October, UK time. If you’re “ahead” of the UK, (Continental Europe, Asia, Australia, etc) that means you’ll kick off later on Saturday 17th in your local time. If you’re “behind” the UK, (the Americas, etc), you’ll kick off at some point in the evening of Friday 16th in your local time.

That is why it is a convention in military matters not to use Midnight as a time. 23:59 is more usual than 00:01 in my experience, but either works. UTC is also referred to as Zulu time, I suppose as a combination of that standard speaking alphabet (NATO and in aviation) and “Z” for zero. The timezones go to +12 and -12 by this system. New Zealand Daylight Time comes out at +13:00. J-Juliet isn’t used as a timezone label.

Clock time in the UK will be BST until the 25th October +1:00

I’d like to sign up, if I may! I’d love to do it, even though I’ve never done anything quite like it before!

If previous experience was a barrier to entry then they CERTAINLY wouldn’t let nom back in. :imp:

As a “second timer” I can a test to the job being enjoyable. Piggy does he real hard work and leaves tall the fun stuff to us. Worst case scenario, you put out a chapter where folks mistake you for me or vic-k. But you’d really have to have a major hallucination or a bad acid flashback for anything to be that awful.

Welcome to the nuthouse. Piggy is on vacation but he should be in touch shortly.

Thank you muchly. Now I know if I can attend the conference the next day. I will try to write through the night so I can do both. :smiley: You’ll be starting with the N. American folks, then working your way across the globe, right?

Hey! I resemble that comment… :mrgreen:

No, it is far more medieval than that. Everyone starts at the same moment – it is just that in different places, clocks say different things – something about time zones. (Which should really be called ‘timekeeping zones’, shouldn’t they? Because we are not in different zones of time, just different places where clocks are set differently.)

Perhaps the Q continuum could help with this matter or Paul Muad’Diab? I understand each has a unique method for dispensing with time. :mrgreen:

Hey OneSwellFoop! I’ve sent you a Direct Message with the next steps.

Can I come and play again, Rog? I promise to ignore any mischief that those other ne’er-do-wells might instigate. Well, ‘promise’ might be a bit of an exaggeration.

But you can trust me, honest. :unamused:

Who wouldn’t trust that happy face?! :smiley:
Of course!

Hey Guys. “Section 7” was soon much fun last year - Lerner Jones … ahhh be-still my beating heart. I fell head over heels ya know (don’t tell the wife).

Unfortunatly i shall have to pass this time due to work commitments :frowning: but to all involved, enjoy the ride. It’s a blast

Cheers
AL aka Nookbear aka Yellowcake aka chapter 19 from Section 7

Look… a stick… Want the stick? Huh? Go get the stick!!

That was too easy.

Given the bristling ears, wide eyes, and open mouth, I think the Airedale might be sitting on the stick.

Careful Rosie, :open_mouth: kids could be reading these threads … kids and Jaysen! A tad too risqué for J-and kids.

“Squirrel!!”

Shucks. My mind wasn’t that deep in the gutter. :open_mouth: I meant it far more innocently.

Wonder if I can get Ioa to change my forum name to Rosie?

For use only when you’re being naughty! :imp:

[size=150]Rose[/size] for when you are being good. :wink:

Flattered. :laughing: