Midnight - an unsolvable issue (without a clock or dictionary)

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:09 am Post

No... You have eight, obviously.
;)
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am Post

To the majority of THE RED LION's erstwhile philosophers and amateur astrophysicists, Midnight was when one day ended and the next began. I suppose we should've known better. :(
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:41 am Post

nom wrote:PS It takes more than toe strength. Willpower, stubbornness and unrelenting bloody-mindedness. That's why nomstralians are so tough... :P

You forgot "willing to do things that normal people think are insane."
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:09 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:PS It takes more than toe strength. Willpower, stubbornness and unrelenting bloody-mindedness. That's why nomstralians are so tough... :P

You forgot "willing to do things that normal people think are insane."

Like posting in this thread? :roll:
Complete and utter NOMsense.

nom

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 am Post

lunk wrote:Well, considering other "logical" systems the British have invented, it makes sense that you count the hours starting at 12 and ending on 11. How do you teach kids that logic?

You've highlighted the flaw in your own reasoning: You're assuming it's logical. As you said, consider the other systems that the British have invented*.

I'm not defending the system — I don't claim it's brilliant or sensical — I'm just stating what it is.

*To be fair to the Brits, they've made a decent go at democracy, but this is tempered but their insistence on a democratic monarchy.

pigfender

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 am Post

I can't speak for Canadia or Nomstralia, but in the UK is we actually don't have a monarchy, constitutionally speaking.
Image Image

Jaysen

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:33 am Post

pigfender wrote:I can't speak for Canadia or Nomstralia, but in the UK is we actually don't have a monarchy, constitutionally speaking.

They barrow your non-monarchy as their own.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

nom

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I can't speak for Canadia or Nomstralia, but in the UK is we actually don't have a monarchy, constitutionally speaking.

Don't mess with me at this late hour of the evening. You have a queen as head of state. Ergo, you have a monarchy.

I'm getting too old for this... <end of sentence obscured by David Sanborn's "Murtaugh" saxophone riff from Lethal Weapon>

lunk

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:11 pm Post

Forget the logic then. It's all a question of art!

I_Shall_Wear_Midnight.jpg
I_Shall_Wear_Midnight.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

gr

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:52 pm Post

vic-k wrote:To the majority of THE RED LION's erstwhile philosophers and amateur astrophysicists, Midnight was when one day ended and the next began. I suppose we should've known better. :(
Vic

Vindicated!!

pigfender

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 pm Post

nom wrote:

Don't mess with me at this late hour of the evening. You have a queen as head of state. Ergo, you have a monarchy.

I'm getting too old for this... <end of sentence obscured by David Sanborn's "Murtaugh" saxophone riff from Lethal Weapon>

No, we don't. Not constitutionally speaking. A monarchy relies on the monarch acting as the Executive function. The Crown doesn't fill that role, it's just a ceremonial function in the UK, paid for by American tourists.
Image Image

Jaysen

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm Post

pigfender wrote: The Crown doesn't fill that role, it's just a ceremonial function in the UK, paid for by American tourists.

HEY!

I resemble that remark...
Jaysen

ImageImage

lunk

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:50 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
nom wrote:

No, we don't. Not constitutionally speaking. A monarchy relies on the monarch acting as the Executive function. The Crown doesn't fill that role, it's just a ceremonial function in the UK, paid for by American tourists.

Yes you do, just like Sweden. A constitutional monarchy. But maybe this is, like midnight, an unsolvable issue? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:10 pm Post

gr wrote:
vic-k wrote:To the majority of THE RED LION's erstwhile philosophers and amateur astrophysicists, Midnight was when one day ended and the next began. I suppose we should've known better. :(
Vic

Vindicated!!
Ouch! That sounds almost as painful a castigation :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

lunk

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 pm Post

12:00 am, aka 00:00 can't be midnight, meaning the middle of the night. I've hardly gone to bed yet! :shock:

And if it's not a monarchy, is it perhaps a diarchy? :roll: