Novel-in-a-Day 5: Go Set A NiaD

Are you doing teams for chapters this year? I thought that came up last year but some organizer was all “oh gods no… Jaysen and Vic-K … no … NO … NOOOOOOO!!!”

Howdy! Please sign me up. Thanks. =)

No, not yet.

No, a bit longer.

I’m afraid not.

Look, I made a whole dynamic countdowny thing this year. Just check that.

Yeah, okay… so the countdown thing won’t be visible on a mobile device, but I still put the date there.

Or you could visit pigfender.com/countdowns/niad5.html

It’s a story about this team of astronauts who go into space for 520 days as part of an experiment on the long-term effects of space travel on mental health. No wait… that was the second one. Scrub that I’ll think of something else.

No, not yet.

Yeah, some shifts in pacing are inevitable. It’s an important part of the event that everyone gets to write in their own style, and bring their own voice and interpretation to their chapter. With the same chapter brief, one writer might produce a high octane action piece filled with guns and explosions, and another might want to cover the same plot points over a quiet cup of tea and biscuits.

The best indication I can give you are the limited chapter start and end points. I’ll spend extra effort to look at those and be as descriptive as I can without giving too much away, but the changing style and pace are always going to be there. My advice is to embrace it! It’s fascinating to see how people take such different approached with the same or similar material.

What about now?

The pacing thing is only “problematic” if you try to follow the idea as a novel. I like to see it as a set of loosely related short stories all put together between two covers. In that light we get to see the varying styles with a bit more enjoyment.

Now?

I would be afraid that any pacing indicators would actually reduce the creative nature by taking folks like me, a poor writer at best, and forcing us to focus too much on meeting the pacing requirements over writing as compelling a piece as possible. I hope that make sense.

I WANT IT NOW!

Piggy, no comment on teams?

Ohmygosh. I’m so excited. And it will even be on my birthday!! Please let me play along again!!!

Oh I’m excited. Completely forgot that it was 2015 already. Yes, I’ll definitely join if you’ll have me again.

How about: a deranged detective is given a second chance by a shadowy government organisation to operate as a mole aboard a space station which has over the course of time become overrun by the cosa nostra?

Thanks for the email! I was nearly late last year - so this year, I guess it works that I’m really really really early!

Count me in! I’m ready! I’m willing! I’m…well. You get the idea.

waldo

DONE!

Your enthusiasm is appreciated. I announced early this year just to give you longer to savour the anticipation.

I actually didn’t understand the question, so glossed over it in the hope that it wasn’t important. That’s a good life strategy, right?

And yes, to everyone who has already posted asking to take part again, YES! Welcome back! :smiley:

Wooooo that time already, you bet would love to be involved again:)

I’m in.

Aw crap, I’m in.

After my miserable fail last year, I said I wasn’t gonna do it. I swore I wasn’t gonna do it. But I’m gonna do it. Because if Jaysen can destroy a chapter, I am certainly not gonna not destroy a chapter too.

-gr

I’m in.
(& also late for work, but thanks for the email)
:smiley:

This sounds PERFECT! I would love to participate! Just let me know what I need to do (besides posting in this thread). I’m new to this whole scene, but I would really love to be included this year. :astonished:

Hi Fraygirl24, I’ve sent you a direct message about next steps. Welcome to the forum!

gr, nice to see some authorial self-doubt creeping in there. Good proper writers’ neurosis! the signature made me laugh too, even if you are being unjustifiably harsh on yourself.

Jaysen, calm down; you’ll hurt yourself.

I didn’t finish reading the email. Can I have a go again? Please?

Wow. Harsh review! :wink:

But yes, welcome back!

I so wish.

:frowning: :cry: :blush:

Wassamatta kids? Tell uncle vic.

Only if you keep it a secret.

1. Not talented enough to participate. :frowning:

2. Not well enough to commit. :cry:

Both the above apply to me, of course. (In case anyone should read the 1 & 2 in a way that wasn’t intended.)