How do I buy it?

The only two versions on here are Windows and Mac. It used to be free back in the day since it is a beta, but it seems you only get a 30 day trial now. I am fine with this, despite it being a beta, but there doesn’t seem to be a link anywhere to pay for a license for it.

I’am also want to know

I’m running the Linux beta version on Debian “Jessie” … as far as I know, the beta expiration date is still set to the end of this year. The only 30-day expiry I can recall is for the trial versions of either Mac or Windows commercial versions. Lee and the crew have been very good about extending the expiration date for the Linux beta, so I’d not worry much. Hopefully there’ll be new developments as we approach year-end.

As for paying for the Linux version: you’ll find this note in the “About” dialogue under the “Help” menu: "The Linux version of Scrivener will continue to run as free beta software for the foreseeable future, until such time as we are able to give it the extra attention required to move it towards an official, commercial release (which we hope to do eventually, although it may be some time down the road). "

yeah, the Linux version should be good until 2016. The expiration is basically so that everyone’s on the same version, which helps testing.

I think the crew is pretty busy with the iOS version, among other things at the moment.

Look, I don’t want to be That Guy On The Forum, but I guess I will be… I’m getting a bit pessimistic about Scrivener on Linux. Based on past experience with great software on other non-mainstream operating systems (I don’t think Linux quite fits that category any more, but it’s close enough to round down) when you get this much time passing without so much as peep from developers, it USUALLY means “uh… well, this isn’t going to work, and we don’t quite know how to come out and say it, but we don’t have to right now, so instead we won’t say anything at all.”

I like Scrivener a lot, and I really want that not to be true, and I’ll happily eat my words if I’m proven wrong, but this is some serious deja vu I’m feeling here.

Ok, Ubersoft.

Just count us : how many are we to want a Linux release version and are ready to pay for it?

I am.

(With a french translation, better more!) :smiley:

Not to be a pessimist here, but if you’re L&L, how do you actually trust that?

I’m sure they’ve seen examples (as have we all) of people pledging up and down to pay for something and yet not do it once the time and effort is spent. And it doesn’t take evil intentions to get to this point.

The Linux version is a beta release; it is free to use. I find it works very, very well for draft and composition efforts. Last evening it was handling several files of 500 to 650 Mb length, and performing ‘split’ functions to break those files down to chapter length. No bugs, no fault, no hang-ups. Just smooth, faultless performance on a Debian 8.1/XFCE 32-bit install.

Yes, it is still beta, and lacks certain features, and it has some holes where Linux doesn’t match up with Mac or Windows versions … but for basic work, it is great. It seems a bit foolish to be looking this gift horse in the mouth.

Lee and crew are a very small team and are pushing hard to match the Windows version with the Mac feature set; that’s a huge market and a priority item.

Anyway, I’m finding that the Linux version fills a major software hole in the FOSS inventory. I got totally spoiled by the Mac information handling system; Linux has nothing that compares. Scrivener partially fills that void. Try it for a fast and flexible notebook and research repository, for example. There’s nothing equivalent in the Linux repositories … nothing that comes remotely close. (I’ve searched and tried everything available; it just isn’t there.)

Patience is a virtue :wink:

I know that. So, we can launch something like crowdfunding to help development. Who want a Linux release version?

Do you seriously want to give money to a crowdfunding campaign, knowing that it might be years before you get a sufficiently bug-free release? A good crowdfunding project gives you a workable timeline, and they’re not even giving timelines on the stuff they’ve already publicly committed resources to.

Have you ever run a crowdfunding campaign? You do realize that to run one properly, it can often be as much work as the actual project will be (if not more)?

L&L is a small company. They have to prioritize their resources.

Nevermind that if they don’t ship by the specified date, they run the risk of pissing off people.

I don’t say : launch a campaign of fund rising just kow, I only search to know how many people can be interested to support a Linux release version.

Obviously, we aren’t enough.