Leopard, now, later or never?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:24 pm Post

The transparent menu doesn't bother me. I think it looks kind of nice, actually, as do the new menus with the blur effect.

The transparent menu as you see it now is a massive improvement over the one in earlier developer seeds. A lot of developers bemoaned it, although I quite liked it. They did have a point that it was quite difficult to see the text on it when you used certain desktop images, though. So Apple upped the opacity a little and now it is perfect, I think. I much prefer it, in fact...

I thought exactly the same about the blue dots, but I got used to them after a while. And I quite like the new dock over all.

Best,
Keith

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:56 pm Post

Haven't tried it myself, but just got a note from one of my daughters. Her university is advising against immediate upgrade to Leopard:

We would advise against moving immediately to this update to
allow Apple to address issues that have cropped up following the
rollout. In particular, wireless networking in Leopard appears to have a
widespread report of problems, some of which we have seen here at the
school. We anticipate Apple will have these problems resolved by the end
of November.

Phil

St
Studio717

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 pm Post

Interesting, PJS. Haven't heard of that one. You'd think it'd be all over the blogs. I don't read all that many but usually enough to catch issues when they pop up. (Naturally, I could have missed it...)

Might be a large-scale wifi installation thing since my local home wifi works just like it always did. (Better, actually, since sharing in now a breeze to enable, even with PCs.)

Hope they get whatever the issue is resolved soon. (I wonder if it's another Cisco issue like that one a school blamed on the iPhone earlier this year.)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 pm Post

Funny, and I was going to comment that I found the wireless support in Leopard to be much more stable than it was in Tiger. Access point acquisition seems to happen much faster, and I have yet to see the annoying situation crop up where it finds the access point, but refuses to get the correct DNS information from the gateway.

Regarding the menu, I like it better than the old Mac menu too. It doesn't stand out so much; sinks into the interface and feels less demanding of attention. This is especially nice when the majority of the applications you are working in are "dark," such as Lightroom, or TextMate with a dark colour theme.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ro
RobertB

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 pm Post

I came to Macs about a year ago and started with Tiger of course. leopard blows it out of the water in terms of looks, functionality, and speed on my MacBook.

antony

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:10 am Post

The wifi thing is odd, and Apple hasn't officially responded yet. It doesn't appear to be widespread, but certainly enough users have experienced it to kick up a stink at the Apple forums. Here's a slightly OTT report on it from CW NZ:

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/new ... 850069B798
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

cooner

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:19 am Post

AmberV wrote:My only aesthetic complaint so far is the Dock. It is a little visually intense in the bottom position. Icons don't stand out as well, and those blue glowing dots are not as obvious as they could be. I think the Dock looks *really* nice on the sides of the screen, however.

Apparently there's an unpublished setting you can do to force the style of the side Docks onto the bottom Dock. It's pointed out about halfway down this page in the Dock portion of Ars Technica's Leopard review:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/4

If that helps. :) I'm still looking forward to buying and installing Leopard, meself.

Bo
Boys of Summer

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 am Post

Got it.
r
Seems good but my scanner will not work because there are no drivers yet.I
On the whole, i do like it.

Howard
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

Ti
Timotheus

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:37 am Post

@ PJS: the university of your daughter is right, awfully right.

As soon as I had my copy of Leopard, I migrated to the new system both on my desktop and on my laptop. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but my enthousiasm betrayed me.

It became a nightmare. All kinds of things which had worked perfectly under Tiger, worked very badly, or even didn't work at all, under Leopard. Just to give one concrete example: in Mail, I couldn't send messages anymore. In Thunderbird, the outgoing mail worked as it should, so it clearly was a Mail problem. On various forums I read about other people who had exactly the same problem. Of course I tried all kinds of common resources and tricks, including DiskWarrior, the Apple Care help desk, etc. etc. But this very frustrating problem persisted, and so did some other very annoying things.

In the end, the wisest thing to do seemed to deinstall Leopard at least on my desktop, which I use all day, and to go back to Tiger. And so I did.

My personal experience has taught me Leopard is still full of bugs, which, as many bugs use to do, only under certain circumstances reveal themselves. And yes, I read all the enthousiastic comments of people who didn't encounter any problems at all. What can I say? Perhaps only that I was less fortunate than they were.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

Typo

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:01 am Post

No problems at all in my case. All external devices work just as before, all apps are running, no strange behaviour at all. I didn't do a clean install, I just installed it over Tiger. All the years I was careful not to install any tools that are known for messing up the system on the lower level - guess that helped.

It's been a week now and I've gotten really used to it. Especially Spaces proves really useful.

mr
mrkwr

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:13 pm Post

Just speaking with the local Apple Centre ( a reseller) - they put Leopard on one of the display machines (i.e. upgraded it from tiger) and it screwed up the hard drive good and proper - not yet back out of the sick bay. Their advice was go with Leopard by all means if it's a home machine, but for business use - hold off for the first software update. They are supplying all their Macs with Tiger installed and Leopard on a disc in the box and only putting Leopard on the machine if the customer insists against their advice. FWIW.

Ti
Timotheus

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:11 pm Post

Quod erat demonstrandum.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:25 pm Post

Oddly enough, it seems to me that the release version of Leopard is a little buggier than the last developer seed. But then, if Apple will insist on withholding the release version from developers (thousands of built-in beta testers) and would rather release it on the unsuspecting public without giving developers the chance of testing it for a week or two before release, what do you expect? (That, incidentally, is precisely why I withheld releasing Scrivener 1.1 last week - I wanted to test it on the release version, which Apple had withheld from me; this is the same reason Devon Technologies have not released an update just yet.)

Still, Leopard is a great beast. It's just a shame Apple don't respect their users and developers a little more... They seem more concerned about piracy than providing a decent user experience to paid users - which is very Microsoft of them.

Best,
Keith

Juddbert

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:41 pm Post

Ah but then, Jobs once trusted Gates. Maybe it's simply a case of "Once bitten, twice shy", don't you think?
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

lenf

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 pm Post

KB wrote:But then, if Apple will insist on withholding the release version from developers (thousands of built-in beta testers) and would rather release it on the unsuspecting public without giving developers the chance of testing it for a week or two before release, what do you expect?

I understand the frustration of developers, but I'm afraid my poor brain is having trouble with the notion that Apple would send the release version to "thousands of built-in beta testers." Wouldn't that be a pre-release version then? :D

I could make a joke about not releasing software until you were absolutely sure that every single bug had been squashed, but I might find my license revoked. :lol: