When did Apple become the new Microsoft?

Eldritch
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:57 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:I've always used Graphic Converter — I have never been able to afford the Adobe upgrade costs; I'd love to use Lightroom, which I used when it was first launched, but have been deterred by upgrade costs since. Graphic Converter ... brilliant program, I paid the $35 it cost back in 1990 or 1991, and have had to pay an upgrade fee only once or twice since then, and always very low price.

Wow I remember using that back in the early 90s. Used to use it for batch conversions etc. Didn't realise it was still around. What I really need now is a new image catalog app. I used to use iView but since it was sold to Microsoft, and hasn't been updated since 2005, I'm loathe to use it incase I end up losing stuff due to it being unstable on the new OS. I know what you mean about the exorbitant Adobe upgrade prices. :shock: Have had to upgrade Photoshop and Illustrator. I have an image in my mind of the Adobe CEO dressed up like Dick Turpin for some reason. :roll:

xiamenese wrote:As for an Android phone ... I bought one (Lenovo) in China last year, when my iPhone crashed completely. God, did it drive me mad! I absolutely hated it!

I can only go by the HTC I bought as I know the Androids vary in their OS according to who's manufacturing the phone.
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:21 pm Post

Not had any problems with OS X 10.10.x. Currently on 10.10.4, and all swift and stable.

Do you have an Apple TV? Have read that switching that off, rebooting the router, and then turning the Apple TV back on helps with wifi conflicts and naming issues. Might be worth a try.

The public release of 10.10.4 should also ease things with the return of mDNSResponder.
Account closed January 2017

Eldritch

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:49 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:The public release of 10.10.4 should also ease things with the return of mDNSResponder.

Yeah thanks, I mentioned they were bringing back the mDNSResponder. So all should be tickedy boo once it arrives. 8) Unfortunately it seems when there is a bug then the current system has the ability to pass it on to other macs on the network. Either way it's obviously faulty otherwise they wouldn't be going back to the older network manager.

My main problem at the moment is the redraw issue in iTunes. All the other problems I have managed to work around or fix but iTunes stays problematic. None of the suggested fixes work. :roll:
--Raymond Chandler

nontroppo

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:12 pm Post

The 10.10.4 public betas (probably due to the removal of discoveryd) have I think fixed my major Wifi issues and most other funkiness from Yosemite at least. This was the first OS X version since I switched around the panther->tiger transition where I ended up having to regularly use the Windows-XP fix (a reboot) to fix problems!!!

Eldritch

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:The 10.10.4 public betas (probably due to the removal of discoveryd) have I think fixed my major Wifi issues and most other funkiness from Yosemite at least.

Any idea if it has solved the redraw issue in iTunes?

The other thing I have noticed recently is that sometimes when waking from sleep the monitor looks like it has switched to a lower quality colour mode. Opening Monitor settings and clicking on the colours tab fixes it. It's strange though as I'm only selecting the colours window, not actually making any changes to anything.
--Raymond Chandler

nontroppo

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:32 pm Post

What is the exact iTunes problem you see (I do use iTunes but tend to use playlists and the miniplayer whenever possible)?

I don't see the colour issue, though I did have Yosemite shunt my gamma settings without me doing anything when I first upgraded. And Yosemite does very weird things to the colour space of my projector. One quick fix maybe to use SwitchResX, you can set it to auto switch colour settings based on keyboard commands (I have it set to allow me to quickly switch my HiDPI settings on my Macbook and twiddle my colour porifle on my projector).

I was having awful bluetooth issues in Yosemite, but they also seem gone...

Eldritch

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 am Post

nontroppo wrote:What is the exact iTunes problem you see (I do use iTunes but tend to use playlists and the miniplayer whenever possible)?

If you scroll through the library on iTunes then the lines of song information become overlapped with a song's info partially obscuring its neigbour's. It looks exceedingly strange and is really annoying. Especiallly since I'm trying to sort out all my music for transfer to my old mac which is now to be an audio player.
Futher still, if you take your cursor and run it from the bottom up (without clicking anything) you can push the jumbled lines upwards. Everything then reveals as it should until you next scroll whereupon another jumbled mess is brought into view. With a large audio library it is an absolute nightmare.

nontroppo wrote:One quick fix maybe to use SwitchResX, you can set it to auto switch colour settings based on keyboard commands (I have it set to allow me to quickly switch my HiDPI settings on my Macbook and twiddle my colour porifle on my projector).

I shall take a look at that thanks. My original idea was to write a quick script which would do it for me. If someone else has gone to the effort though it makes my life easier. :lol:
--Raymond Chandler

Eldritch

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:55 am Post

On a side note, I just tried to view a video Vic had linked to on another thread. The one with the (Apple developer) guy laughing about the Mac notebook. Upon being taken to the YouTube site my screen went black and a message briefly appeared stating OS X had encountered a problem and was restarting. A crash in my 1st week of my new mac. :roll: Wonder if Apple didn't want me watching that particular video? :lol:
--Raymond Chandler

Br
Briar Kit

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 am Post

Not had any of the problems you've experienced.

Personally, I'd:

1. reset PRAM (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?lo ... cale=en_US)
2. reset SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295)
3. and use Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html) to clear out caches, etc.

nontroppo

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 am Post

Doing the PRAM / SMC / cache voodoo with onyx does little to fix the fragile mess of bugs that Yosemite introduced. Apple are reverting Discoveryd in 10.10.4 for a reason...

It is a shame as Yosemite was the first OS X with a public beta program we all hoped this would increase quality, I posted around 30 bugs but my bluetooth / airplay / wifi ones were never fixed before public release. I can only assume Apple were ill-equipped to deal with a public beta, and can only hope this has been dealt with for the El Capitan beta...

The other major complaints against Yosemite, like the worst UI drawing performance of any OS X release (as well as can be measured with quartz debug), are looking to be well and truly fixed in El Capitan, at least if you take the sample of Macrumors forum users as a representative sample:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/os-x ... 10-11.184/

The point that Apple appear to be slowly abandoning OpenGL in favour of their own closed Metal API does however smack of Microsoft's DirectX lock-in... Looks like the dream of a high-performance, cross-platform graphics API (Vulkan) will be dead on birth (or restricted to windows+linux).

Eldritch

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 am Post

Briar Kit wrote:1. reset PRAM (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?lo ... cale=en_US)
2. reset SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295)
3. and use Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html) to clear out caches, etc.

Thanks for the advice but these problems are not related to any of the above as these are 'out of the box' issues.

nontroppo wrote:The other major complaints against Yosemite, like the worst UI drawing performance of any OS X release (as well as can be measured with quartz debug), are looking to be well and truly fixed in El Capitan, at least if you take the sample of Macrumors forum users as a representative sample:

Hopefully that will also resolve the redraw issues then.

Having researched futher the colour issue (other people get only a black screen on wake up/some a black screen with a cursor) it seems to be a mac mini related problem. :roll:

I also stopped nsurlsessiond connecting anywhere and that seems to have improved the wifi situation somewhat.

I'm currently wondering if iTunes 8 or 9 would run safely under 10.10. Will have to do some research.
--Raymond Chandler

Br
Briar Kit

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:56 am Post

If it is a new Mac with so many probs, I'd take it back. My 2007 iMac and 2007 MBP haven't had any of the issues you're experiencing with a new machine. I feel your pain. Not good. :(

If you carried files over from a Time Machine (or similar) backup, I'd still try the things listed above, just in case some old detritus had been carried over. Worth a punt, I would have thought. Even running the maintenance scripts and clearing out caches might help. Though completely understand that other opinions are available. :lol:

I wish you well. Major ache to have so many issues. I'd be peeved.

Bestest

Briar Kit

Eldritch

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:10 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:If it is a new Mac with so many probs, I'd take it back. My 2007 iMac and 2007 MBP haven't had any of the issues you're experiencing with a new machine. I feel your pain. Not good. :(

Hi Briar, Thanks for the kind words. I've had in the region of 25 macs now, since 1985, most of which I still have, and this is the first I've had this many issues with. But thankfully it seems that the issues are mainly all OS related, not the actual machine (though the machine is a factor). Some time scanning google has revealed I am certainly not the only one suffering from any of the issues I have... which is always good to know. :lol: I've not brought over anything from my old mac besides work, since most of the apps I used no longer work. Apple have acknowledged there are a few issues regarding the OS and mac-minis so hopefully they will be ironed out in the next update. Fingers crossed. :roll:
--Raymond Chandler

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 pm Post

I'm almost willing to put $$ on a RAM issue. All your symptoms sound like bad GPU/IO cache or BAD RAM in socket. Not sure which model you have, but if you don't have the pro series you likely have a bad chip in RAM slot 0.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 am Post

Another thing to try (if you have the disk space): create a new partition for fresh install Yosemite and see if it runs OK. If it does, then it's unlikely to be hardware and more likely to be your current install - either something when wrong, or some cruft was carried over from a prior machine. On the other hand, if the secondary install suffers the same problems as your main one, then I'd take the whole thing back to Apple.
Complete and utter NOMsense.