Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

I had one of the most bizarre behind-the-scenes experiences during this year’s NiaD that will certainly make it memorable. Let’s just say substance intoxication (not me), a car (not mine), cardboard boxes, and the theft of a child’s bicycle were involved. Plus two ambulances, multiple police and four phone calls. It is the first time the ambulance service has called me (and that call was bizarre in itself). I told Pigfender some of it, but I don’t think he believed me (given some of my posts here I don’t blame him, but I swear it is all true).

Even without the above, I confess that I found this year harder than the two previous ones. Poor Pigfender copped some of my so-late-it-is-early sleep-deprived anxiety that kicked into overdrive when I thought I’d misinterpreted the brief and wasn’t going to meet the deadline. He responded with calm grace that helped get me over the line (that, and 90 minutes sleep).

Having said all that, I had a ball. Loved it. :smiley:

So, special thanks to Pigfender for preparing and organising the event on a grand new scale, then shepherding 48 worried writers (including at least one who was an overwrought, sleep-deprived, mess) throughout the day.

I’m partway through the blue version, and looking forward to reading the red version next weekend (or when I’ve had time to recover).

My only suggestion: is it possible to have blue/red indicated in the title &/or cover in some way (and on the title page)? When both are loaded in an ebook reader, there is no way to tell them apart without opening them.

Thank you, pigfender, for giving loons like me the opportunity to vandalize a couple of blank Word pages. I hope it wasn’t as painful to read as it was to write it :slight_smile:

Crap.

I hope it doesn’t disappoint too much.

Scuse my newbie ignorance but how/where do I find the books please? Is there a link I’ve missed somewhere?
Thanks!
Linda
X

Top of the thread titled “section 7”

D’oh! Silly me! I should have realised - many thanks Jaysen! x

Starting the count for the next 363 days. Nice doing NIAD with you guys. See you next year, hopefully.

Hello all! It’s the day after a NiaD!

First thing to say is that I’ve updated ALL of the files this morning. Those that have read my chapters in previous years will know I leave the typos in there, but I have updated for a couple of things:

• Fixed spelling mistakes in peoples names. I’m really sorry those crept in. I will be more careful next year, I promise.
  • The two versions of the books now have a small colour identifier on the bottom righthand corner of the cover, and the ebook metadata now includes the version colour in order to make it easier for software and humans to tell the two apart (more useful if you’re planning on reading both!).
  • The Scrivener project file now has all the right names, and covers for all colour versions.

I have also uploaded the Mac compile settings to the Section 7 thread, should you want to recreate the book at home. Note that the compile settings take into account that the versions of the book sit under the Manuscript folder in a Book folder that doesn’t itself get compiled. If you’re making you’re own version, you’ll need that spacer folder (‘Book Green’’?) in there for the same compile settings to work.

You can, of course, use your own settings, come up with your own cover* etc, but please keep the copyright notice in whatever you produce. Lots of people worked very hard and deserve their recognition!

• if you want to make a version of the cover with a different colour flash, you have two options: download the full sized plain version of the cover (link below), import it to the program of your choice and overlay a colour, or you can download the GIMP file I used to make the cover (also linked below) and add another layer in that.

Full-sized plain cover image
GIMP file format cover image

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, especially since I know full well that my responses were getting briefer and relying less upon the niceties common in everyday speech towards the end of the day. It wasn't you, it was me. More importantly, it was that big countdown clock thing. I have to stop having those open in a browser window!

Special thanks to Keith and all the team at Literature and Latte for making NiaD possible. They very generously host these forums, but more importantly, planning the book, organising the day, keeping track of actions, development, pulling it all together, and compiling some nice looking books in such a time frame simply wouldn't be possible without Scrivener.

Lee, no I have never practiced self harm. I mean how do you practice it? Do you use red biro?

As for Jaysen's suggestion that I write a book... N'ah, I have no clue where those guys get all their ideas from.

Thanks all,
Pigmund  :smiley:

And a huge thanks from me for all your efforts! 2 wonderful books from many talented writers worldwide! Wow!

Greetings to you all! I uploaded both e-books and I’m reading them side by side without reading the briefs previously. I’m around chapter 5 so far.

It has turned out very interesting to watch how different authors approach the same situation, and get an insight about what those briefs really said.

Pigfender. For 2015, NIAD needs a Wiki entry. And yes, include the bit about your love of strong coffee.

Is there a conversion tool for Scrivener? I’d love to convert the project file into something I can open.

Funny that. Especially considering that we all just wrote a book based on your ideas.

Think about it.

Sadly I like my tea and coffee to be of distinctly average strength, all though I do drink an AWFUL lot of it.

I have no idea why the scrivener file wouldn’t open on Windows, but for some reason it wouldn’t. I’ve uploaded a new version (this one I have checked on a Windows machine), so you should be good to go!

Yes, NIAD needs a Wiki entry next year. :slight_smile: Or do you think it’s not notable enough? Surely once it reaches its fifth annual with multiple editions at the fourth it is? :unamused:

I’m afraid we wouldn’t meet the notability requirements

Mr. Pigfender. Got that line about strong tea from my brief. You know the part about, '… if after I die my entry on Wikipedia includes the line his love of strong tea was legendary I will consider my life well lived." But then that won’t be the only thing I misread in my brief.

Yep, should be tea and not coffee.

Don’t get me wrong, my love of tea is legendary… probably 15+ cups a day.

You’re a good man Mr. Pigfender. Caffeinated, but a good man.

don’t give help him inflate the ego…

Brilliant fun, awesome day. Would buy from again A+++

Thanks to Pigfender for a fantastic new writing experience. I am looking forward to reading both the books and examining the scriv file for insights.

Stay well, have fun and keep your goggles on.