Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

Piggy should provide a continental translator.

My favorite part was “use British English”. Like I have clue what British English is. I don’t even speak/write/think American goodly. He’s very demanding.

I said “if you can”. :unamused:

You didn’t leave much choice. I’m now questioning what each word means. How he heck does “public” == “private”? Let’s not talk about silliness around diaries and loos.

It’s just like regular English with a little more “ye olde colour”. Couloure? Culoreu? Cousteau?

Originally Public School and Private School meant something different, but changes to the way the state provided education in the UK meant that schools that would have fallen into each category historically are now treated the same and hence the term Public School and Private School mean the same thing over here these days. The alternative to these (i.e. the free educashun our brats get) is called a Comprehensive School, leading nicely to the joke from Yes, Prime Minister: We’ll give them a comprehensive education to make up for their Comprehensive education.

Piggy,

Conflict avoidance email sent. I don’t want to over collaborate but I’m kind of in the know on some behavior patterns related to my breifs.

Vick will have fun with that sentence in the morning.

If you need some extra time, archive the deadline web page clock (as a text import, naturally, none of that fancy “live” stuff) into your Binder and check back frequently.

Mr. Pigfender. Should we query you regarding details by email or in the thread? What’s your preference?

I’m suggesting email. Otherwise we may ruin the surprises.

Well, now that I have received, stored in the bin for a couple of hours, retrieved from there, read and properly panicked over my brief, I’m going to bed. Have fun writing, those who are not approaching four in the morning.

haha

I’ve had a very good question by email that – like RDG’s explanation of my choice of language on schools – noted a local idiosyncrasy in words.

When captialised, “the City” (as opposed to “the city”) typically refers not to London generally, but to the financial district (aka '“The Square Mile”) where all the banks and lawyers and other money making capitalists tend to have their offices.

Yes. I did a quick search of the brief and the question was answered. Missed it first time around.

I’m checking all sources, so don’t mind. General things can go here, but specifics like “when Taylor ejects himself from the airlock without a spacesuit while his wife watches on satellite feed, should Morris be male or female?” are probably best put in an email to avoid spoilers!

I think it was Taylor?

So I’m not the only high maintenance person you’re dealing with?

Nope - about 20 emails so far. Although 1 of them just said “Eeep!” so maybe call it 19?

It’s not easy being uncounted. :frowning:

Was going to email about a location brief, then thought to Google it: turns out it’s a real place (who knew!?). No need for the email.

But the panic? Taking longer to subside this year. In previous years I didn’t know what to expect, so maybe I panicked earlier. This year, maybe because I was more confident coming in, I forgot about the mind-numbing "I don’t know anything about <>”. Should have re-read Matt’s post from 2013.

Where is Matt? Should we be worried?

Could be worse. Couple be counted entirely, utterly, alone. A perpetual one… literatureandlatte.com/forum/vie … 10#p187018
:blush:

oh my. read the brief. reread it. the mind is totally blank.