Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 am Post

I'm hoping there's room for purple prose. Lavendar will even do.

Do we have any volunteers to proofread this year?
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am Post

I usually steal all of the purple ink, but maybe we can share.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Montree_Whiles

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 am Post

AmberV wrote:I usually steal all of the purple ink, but maybe we can share.

Hmmm. Looks like I'm two hours ahead of you. So maybe I should start first?

Great to see you back this year.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

Ye
Yellowcake
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 am Post

whoa shit – I just looked at the date and soiled myself ...

Am I in? Can I borrow your purple crayon?

PANIC!

Ye
Yellowcake

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:12 am Post

ok, just read all the bits and so it looks like I'm in! ... I apologies in advance.

Since I'm the new boy around here, I guess I should introduce myself... G'day

yellowcake aka. Al from Sydney, Newb, shithouse at spelling and attention to tedails.

Right. That's just about me summed up. So which end of the exclamation mark do I start these adverbs with?

Montree_Whiles

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 am Post

r6d2 wrote:It's closer to Longitude 70º West.

I don't really know too much about my early ancestry, since most evidence suggests that they are already dead. :wink:

Santiago Satellite Station? As far as ancestry, sounds fishy to me. ;)
—Robert A. Heinlein

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:30 am Post

pigfender wrote:Eek! Nearly emailed a neat little summary of the entire plot to nom. :shock: :oops:

Good job I rechecked the address before pressing send!

It's been a long day (as those who we're waiting for me to respond to their messages may have twigged when my "lunch" didn't happen until 8pm)!

So close! My cunning plan to deprive the pig-meister of food until his blood sugar levels dropped sufficiently to allow remote mind control almost paid off. Ten more minutes and he'd have crossed the line.
<sigh>
On to plan #32...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

paperprosciutto

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 am Post

Ooh, are we supposed to send samples now? :O
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
- Vito Acconci

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am Post

Keith B Walters, Welcome to the forum. Check your forum messages about the next steps and we'll get you locked down for a place.

nom, is plan #33 to wait until Saturday, or should I expect other devious schemes?

paperprosciutto, No, I read some of your work on another website, which was why you got added to the list without being hassled to send me a sample.

RIGHT: GENERAL UPDATE
There is not long to go. 1 day 14 hours and 42 minutes, in fact, according to the little countdown clock that has been haunting me since August 19th. We're currently at 46 participants with a couple of people still expected to send in samples and get themselves on the list. Whilst I have no objection to going over 48 people (if we do, then instead of having two completely different books of 24 chapters we will have three books where up to 2/3 of you will appear in two of the final novels), I do need to get on with allocating chapters and sorting out the emails, etc. As such NO MORE PARTICIPANTS will be added to the list AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT (UK time). People who've been involved in the past will note that I'm taking this much closer to the wire than in previous years as I typically give myself at least a week after locking the participant list, so consider yourselves lucky :wink:

Please note that this hard cut-off applies even if you've signed up in this forum by that time. If I've not received your sample and given you the nod* by midnight... sorry. You can save time by sending me the sample directly to the email address or as a forum message. If I've received it by midnight I'll read it.

For those of you that have taken part before: I will use the email address and credit that you previous went by. If you would like to change this then please reach out and let me know. I am on rog@pigfender.com

Everyone else (and I'm thrilled to say that 27 of you fall into this camp!) I'll need the following information from you:
- your email address
- what name you'd like to be credited as
- I don't have a third thing. Really, I have no idea why I didn't just delete that third bullet. Oh wait, I remember. Please also include your forum name so I know who to chase!

Please send that to me VIA EMAIL (rog@pigfender.com). Take my advice, you don't want to put your email address on a public forum. That address gets A LOT of spam! :?

* - "The Nod" is formally given by adding your forum username to the list in the second post on this thread all the way back on page 1.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 am Post

ALSO!

Add rog@pigfender.com to your list of email whitelist to make sure you get your brief on Saturday! :D
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Foxtrot

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Foxtrot, I made an attempt to "play with the phrases" but it came off as "bad taste". Please be nice and use less fun language around the +3(+2(etc)).

Sorry Jaysen I have absolutely no idea what was in bad taste but as you were offended then maybe others would be so I have deleted it.

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am Post

xiamenese wrote:And yes, Chiswick’s a very nice part of London … I’m glad we bought our house there 34 years ago when it was pretty much the back of beyond!

I’m also with you and Homeport on the West Country, though in Devon rather than Dorset.

Mr X

A house in Chiswick bought in 1980 must now be a mansion (to Nick Clegg), given the rate at which house prices in London have risen in the intervening years. Nice location and a smart investment.

Dorset: People's Popular Front of Wessex.

Devon: Popular People's Front of Wessex.

:D
Account closed January 2017

nom

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 pm Post

Foxtrot wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Foxtrot, I made an attempt to "play with the phrases" but it came off as "bad taste". Please be nice and use less fun language around the +3(+2(etc)).

Sorry Jaysen I have absolutely no idea what was in bad taste but as you were offended then maybe others would be so I have deleted it.

Dear Foxtrot,

I read your earlier post and, although I know longer recall all the specifics, I am confident it was not offensive (partly because I no longer recall all the specifics - offensive posts stick out*). I am also confident — based on my knowledge of Jaysen along with my hazy recollection of your post — that Jaysen was not intending to suggest that your post was offensive. I strongly suspect that, being someone who enjoys word play and story, Jaysen was alluding to alternate interpretations of some of the words in your post and found it difficult not to explore them publicly without crossing the bad-taste line himself. I thought the request he directed to you was a gentle way of pointing out those alternate meanings while simultaneously making fun of the difficulty he (and others, including me) have staying on topic after a post prompts such word play.

I have absolutely no doubt that Jaysen will correct me if I have misrepresented him and his intentions.

In short: don't worry. Your post was fine. Looking forward to writing another novel with you. :D

Cheers,
nom

*that's part of the reason for online trolls

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:50 pm Post

nom wrote:I have absolutely no doubt that Jaysen will correct me if I have misrepresented him and his intentions.
Darn it Nam, you are 100% right.

Foxtrot, I found the closing phrase "should rot in hell forever" (or something similar) too tempting to avoid. In my attempts at humor I realized that you may have a personal attachment to the case mentioned and my jest would likely be offensive to you. Please accept my apologies for the confusion I created.

I will now hang my head in shame and drown my sorrows in highly caffeinated and sugary beverages.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

nom

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm Post

pigfender wrote:nom, is plan #33 to wait until Saturday, or should I expect other devious schemes?

Oh good, #32 is working already...

Note: Waiting until Saturday is not a plan because Saturday will happen regardless. A plan needs action. If I intended to use a time machine to get to Saturday and then return, that would be a plan (actually, it was plan #13, but it turns out time machines are incredibly expensive and only work one way - just like regular time*). However, if plan #32 fails, I'm not going to divulge plan #33 to you before it is implemented. I watched Road Runner, I saw what Wile E. Coyote did wrong.

*As a result of this observation, I derived a whole new theory about education from plan #13. It makes sense.