Using Scrivener 2.5 and 2.6?

On my MBP with Mac OS 10.9 I updated Scrivener to 2.6 yesterday. I wanted to do the same today on my very old iMac G5. ‘Check for Updates’ told me there is no newer version of Scrivener available than 2.5.
I reread the Email and there you write “we recommend that you update from whatever version of Scrivener you are using”.

So, I don’t know what to do, my projects are synced via Dropbox:

Is it ok to use the two different versions of Scrivener together? (I can’t remember any warning when updating to 2.6.)

Should I go back to 2.5 on my MBP?

Could I download Scrivener 2.6 from the website and install and use it without problems on my iMac G5? (Answer to myself: No, I can’t, “requires 10.6”)

Thanks in advance,

Ursula

AFAIK you shouldn’t have problems by doing this, since the data format has not changed as per the release notes of the 2.5.5 Beta, the basis for 2.6.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

Scrivener 2.5 and 2.6 use the same project format, so there shouldn’t be any problem sharing projects between the two. 2.6 is also a relatively minor release, with primarily bug fixes and Yosemite compatibility updates, so you won’t need to switch back and forth between two significantly different interfaces, either.

Scrivener 2.6 will not work with your G5. Apple is making supporting those older systems increasingly difficult, and 2.5 will be the last version that supports it.

I would not recommend downgrading your MBP. As I said, the two versions are compatible, and you’ll need 2.6 if/when you install Yosemite on the MBP.

Katherine

Good to know, thank you both!

(I’m not yet sure, if I want to install Yosemite…)

It feels a bit like Lion to me, a lot of changes, and with that a lot of bugs. It’ll probably be best to wait for Mountain Yosemite in a year. Er…

Not good to hear, if even you…

I’m a little bit worried of all those colours, I prefer a greyish look.

That’s just the default settings. You can get a pretty grey look with it actually (I’d even go so far as to say you can make the UI more low-key than in prior versions, thanks for the flat design approach), by using the Graphite theme. You can also get rid of all the flashy frosted glass stuff too, there is a checkbox to reduce transparency, in the Accessibility panel. I don’t really have an issue with how it looks, it just feels like that’s all it is—a cosmetic upgrade.

Good to hear :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ll wait. The mentioned bugs, the system font… don’t know, why I’m hesitant this time.