Which Linux distro do you use for Scrivener?

Hi,

just new in this forum. English not very well (I’m german).

I’m using Linux on my old Acer Aspire one (just nearly 6 years old). First I’ve used Linux Mint 15. Scrivener works fine.
In the Moment I installing Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. Im veruy curious, if Scrivener works.

Greetings from Berlin
Marz

Successfully installed and operational on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a Lenovo S10-3t w/

• 2 gb memory
  • CPU: Dual core Intel® Atom™ CPU N470 @ 1.83GHz
  • Graphics: Intel® IGD x86/MMX/SSE2
  • 250 gb SATA disk @ 5400 rpm

It seems quite stable if very slow, especially if running a browser simultaneously. This is probably a system bandwidth saturation issue…

I had everything working on a Mint 16 w/Cinnamon, but when I upgraded to Mint 17 it hosed my computer and I tried everything I could find in this forum to get it working (and tried to Google my way to happyness, but no joy). I reinstalled Mint 17 and am using LibreOffice for now to keep writing on my manuscript. I am now looking forward to a Scrivener Linux version that is supported. I love Scrivener and will gladly pay for the eventual supported (paid) version for Linux. I envy you folks who are able to get it working on your machines.

EDITED June 5th 2014:
I did get Scrivener 1.6.1.1-beta.deb running on Mint 17 64-bit Cinnamon version. I followed the post information by Midling:

I was able to install Scrivener on a VM installation of Mint 17 MATE 32-bit and it seems to be OK so far. For some reason I couldn’t install from the .deb file using the package installer, though – that kept failing, so I ended up using the archive manager instead. We won’t discuss how many tries it took to get it in the right place. :blush: I don’t remember having that problem before, and I’ve installed on various versions of Mint and Ubuntu over the last couple of years.

As usual, the background transparency on the Full Screen editor isn’t working. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that work on Mint, and this is the third or fourth physical machine I’ve tried it on. :frowning:

[Edit: but it works on Ubuntu 14.04 on the same host machine with the default window manager or Gnome-shell but not with MATE. Pity I can’t stand the rest of the Unity interface …]

[Edit2: Transparency also works on Mint Cinammon. Seems to be a MATE-specific issue, then. And now I have a ridiculous number of VMs on this laptop.]

So far using it on Ubuntu 12.04, on my Acer Aspire One Netbook.

The 14.04 has been singing its sirene songs for some time, but I haven’t dared to try it yet…

Running fine under Arch and also Fedora 20. Thanks for making this software available.

Centos 7

I’ve used several. Ubuntu unity, xfce and gnome. Manjaro xfce, gnome, kde

Just installed the .deb on Ubuntu 14.04 w/Unity. Launched from terminal, pinned it to the launchbar, done.

I was a bit nervous, I’m a Linux newb, and Scrivener was the one must have app I hadn’t installed yet because beta, and faffing with the terminal etc. Turned out I didn’t need to do anything I wasn’t confident doing, so yay!

Haven’t had much of a play yet, but I’ve chucked my current project in, set up backups (everything’s very familiar, I’ve been using Scrivener for Windows since the Windows beta, so I’m chuffed everything is where I expect it to be), and I’ll give it a good playing with XD

[size=200]Linux Mint 17 Xfce[/size].

Loverly :slight_smile:

Linux Mint 17 (regular) 64bit installed on a macbook early 2008.
Just installed it and I noticed that the text area uses text that is too large, but I can’t reduce it.
This is in the tutorial.

But, I am grateful it is in linux and I will take what I can get.

I’m using Bodhi Linux 2.50 (Ubuntu 12.04) on an Acer C720 Chromebook (I erased ChromeOS and installed Bodhi instead, far more capable) using the latest Scrivener for Linux beta. This Acer has a dual-core Celeron CPU, which is not too bad, certainly gets the job done for general computing and even video streaming. The fact it has an SSD makes up a lot for a weak CPU.

I’m using Dropbox to switch between editing Scrivener projects on my Linux Chromebook and a Mac Mini Server running Mac OS X 10.9.

No problems so far, it works nicely :mrgreen:

Fred

Xbuntu 14.04. I just uninstalled Unity today.

Lubuntu 14.04 64-bit

Linux Mint Debian, Cinnamon Edition.

It’s working beautifully so far.

Anyone else having problems with Mint (LMDE)? I cannot get scrivener to start.

Using LMDE 17 (Deb 3.11.8-1)

Not in the slightest. It’s my primary distro and it runs just fine. I installed from the DEB package and it fired right up. Literally was one of the smoothest installs I’ve ever had with any software.

What is specifically happening when you try to launch? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

It was not starting at all. I did some poking and it was kicking out an error because it could not open a shared library. I uninstalled and re-installed downloading the deb file and installing it with dpkg. It seems to be working now. Thanks

I just successfully installed it on a fully-updated Kubuntu system.
Haven’t had much chance to work with it, but everything appears to load correctly and the tutorial is there. :smiley:

Anytime. I’m glad it ended up being a simple fix. Good luck writing. =D