Linux 1.6.1.1 Beta Released (NOT LATEST)

Hi Jim,

Yes, there hasn’t been an X-window close button on the “About” screen in any version of the Linux software. I’m on Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit, and I found that I can close the “about” window by right-clicking on the menu bar, which reveals a drop-down menu. At the bottom of the contextual menu, you’ll see the option “Close”. Click that and you’re golden. :smiley:

Cheers,
John

Jim M, have you tried to press the “Esc” key?

I am running Scrivener for Linux in debian sid, but with i3 as window manager. When I press Esc, the “About Scrivener” window dissapear.

I just installed this version successfully by using the quite complicated installation instruction.

So far Scrivener works fine. Even Kindle-Export, Snapshots and Spell-Checking works, all the things many people have struggled with. The only thing that does not work so far is changing the interface language. It does not change according to the settings but stays English.

For reference: I am using Ubuntu 13.04 in 64bit with KDE-Desktop in German.

I am an Linux-only user and would really like to buy a copy. Even if the Linux version is not supported in the same way as the other versions, it would be a good idea to make the Linux-Version obtainable as well. It would be great to be able to support you guys. As far as I see it, most errors reported here are due to the difficult installation instruction and possible installation errors that can occur with little linux system knowledge. This should be fixable with an updated deb package etc.

Why not make the Windows-Licence usable for Linux as well. As far as I see it, the code is the same anyway. So one can buy a copy for Windows and use the beta for Linux indefinitely as well.

I’ve tried everything. Missing library files galore if you only install ia32-libs…

I’m running CrunchBang Waldorf on a T530 64bit arch. I guess it would be a waste of my time to ask way Scrivener hasn’t been ported to a 64bit arch???

---------------------------------- other content deleted for sanity’s sake------------------------

First off: Thanks to scrandy, for the exact package name!

To get Scrivener running under CrunchBang 64bt (Waldorf), you should only have to do the following:

dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

Then, download the Scrivener .deb package to your downloads directory. Use the FIle Manager, right click on the package under downloads, and use the “Gdebi Package Installer”.

Should be up and running at this point. Type “scrivener” at a command line prompt, or in your Run Program GUI.

Kim

Yes,

I think you need gstreamer. I found this: bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145471
And then I looked in my synaptics and there was: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386
It is a ubuntu-package. I think you have to look if it exists. Have a look and then we go on from there.

Ah, you genius, you. LOL.

well we be right; just needed the gtstreamer for 32bit.

However, my Crunchbang Synaptic Package Manager didn’t have the package at all,
so I had to run it at the command line. Thankfully it does exist out there and the repositor was in my resources list.

So, we’re up and running. I hear, however that spellchecker and such won’t work so hot for us on our 64bit machines. I will see if that’s true over time, I suppose.

Why don’t they just port Scrivener to 64bt and 32bit? Maybe they will when they finally get all the bugs worked out??

Kim

Wonderful. Spellchecker works through the guide I linked below.

How I installed it:
(Ubuntu 13.04 64bit)

• I simply opened the deb in the software center. But you can use any package manager to install it.
  • Then I found this: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/a-mostly-complete-guide-to-installing-scrivener-on-linux/19819/1
  • I went through the extended guide and copied every script line one after the other into my shell. You have to be careful with it to get the linelength right. Especially the links are broken into several lines. Sometime you have to adapt to the correct directory. So at least look over every line if the downloaded files are there where the script line says they should be. If everything was typed in correctly you should get spelling and exports right through this. But the programm should also run basically without the guide.
  • When having library errors you need to install one missing lib after the other through synaptic. But they have to be 32bit.

So far.

I think what would be a really good start would be a list of dependencies and maybe a script that contains the script-lines of the how-to.

Hi! I would like to ask for some help!!

I want to use scrivener on my netbook, which runs on Ubuntu. I haven’t been using Ubuntu for that long, and I know very little about computers in general. I have no idea what a tar package of a deb package is, or what it means when something is in beta. I am, to but it bluntly, a computer idiot.

So far I have simply downloaded the .deb and the .tar.gz file I found in this thread. Can anyone tell me what the next step should be? Should I be downloading something else in addition? Do I need to unpack or install one of them? If anyone could give some clear instructions I would be very very grateful!!!
thanks,
Isis

Beta usually means that there are a lot of bugs in the software. Here it means that they do not have the time to support you properly.
Its not that easy if you like to install scrivener for linux. But you cant break your system so simply tr it.

• Open the deb file with your software center and simply install it.
  • If you have a 64bit system you need to install some libraries with synaptics. See library thread.
  • If you want to have spellchecking etc you need to follow the rather complicated guide in the middle of the guide thread in the forum.

Simply try it or wait for someone to create an install script. However if you manage to install, it works really well.

THank you for your reply!

I have downloaded the scrivener-1.6.1.1-beta.deb - file mentioned on this forum , and when I click on open with software centre, the software centre opens and then shuts down due to some problem. I have also found another .deb file on the internet called (scrivener-beta_1.7beta9_all.deb) which does open in the Ubuntu software centre. However, the first time I tried to install I was informed that it was damaged and couldn’t be installed. A second time it did in fact install, but when I try to open scrivener I get a weir screen that look like it has been cut in half. The visible half sais "Beta exp … and than “THis Scri…”, with a big red cross, and When I click on ok, scrivener dissapeares again…

So so far, no novelwriting for me.
Is there a solution? Does anyone know what I should do?
thanks!!!
Isis

That is the same problem I am having. i was using a purchased copy in Windows, but that system went to the big blue screen. I still have my Scribner files from the work I was doing. I use Mint, I never want to run Windows again. Help.

There seems to be a problem with this latest version if the Qt files included in Scrivener are not the same as the Qt files in KDE. This seems to be the case for both Arch Linux and the latest version of Mint KDE. It just wont run. It works fine in Mint Cinnamon except that there is no spell checker. That needs enough of KDE to be added to Cinnamon for the Qt file problem to occur again.
My solution was, dare I say it, to abandon Linux and go back to Win 7. Pretty Drastic. But I do want a version of Scrivener that includes a spell check in English English.

On Debian wheezy/jessie:

aptitude install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libxext6:i386 libxrender1:i386

To install on Fedora 20 x64 (probably would work with Centos and Redhat as well.)

After enabling rpmfusion rpmfusion.org/, you can run scrivener.sh, then use yum whatprovides for each error, installing the package suggested with yum install.

After installing these below, the provided scriver.sh worked fine.

sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.36-6.fc20.i686
sudo yum install glib2-2.38.2-2.fc20.i686
sudo yum install libXext-1.3.2-2.fc20.i686
sudo yum install fontconfig-2.11.0-1.fc20.i686
sudo yum install libstdc+±4.8.2-7.fc20.i686
sudo yum install glibc.i686
And libXrender from rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc … ender.so.1

Adam

If you are having problems with KDE, you can (or used to be able to at least) switch your desktop easily with Mint. Go into the software app, install “gnome-desktop” then logout, then look for the session icon at the bottom and select gnome. Then try to run scrivener again.

Mint isn’t exactly the most stable distro to in terms of development. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very “stable”, but they are now running there own desktop manager and a number of applications do not run correctly. For compatability with scrivener and for beta testing purposes if you don’t have much experience solving dependancy errors on Linux I would stick to Ubuntu 32 bit, I have scrivener beta working fine on the latest Fedora v20 x64 which I prefer.

Adam

thanks Adam, this worked like a charm!

Thanks amorey. Dependencies are not the problem. I had the older version running Ok on KDE in Arch Linux 64. The problem lies in the fact that the latest version of Scrivener comes with its own Qt libraries. These are no the same as the versions in up to date KDE distros such as Arch or Mint. I can get it to run in Mint Cinnamon but not with a working spell checker. I gave up trying to add enough stuff to get that working.

this also works on Ubuntu “saucy”

Easy install on Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), running on a 32-bit Intel Dual Core T2500 CPU laptop.

Downloaded the deb package and ran the standard installer on it. All dependencies were found and it installed without a hitch.

Scrivener runs fine. The only thing I’ve noticed so far is the font size of my text. Under Windows I have the scaling set to 130 percent. To achieve the same scale on screen in Linux I have to reduce scaling to about 100 percent.

Spell check? I think I saw mention of a solution earlier in this thread… will give it a try.

I’ll report back with an update when I have more to add :wink: