What albums are you currently listening to?

Post here what albums there currently are in your CD/MP3 player. I’ll start. When I’m not listening to these, I’m either listening to Classic Vinyl, Ozzy’s Boneyard, Octane, BB King’s Bluesville or Howard Stern on Sirius XM.

Alter Bridge - Fortress

My favorite rock album of 2013 so far. These guys are seriously talented musicians and songwriters. There’s a lot of complexity in there. If you think good rock music doesn’t get made anymore, this album will change your mind. This album has everything. Fantastic, tight live band, also.

1. “Cry of Achilles”
  2. “Addicted to Pain”
  3. “Bleed It Dry”
  4. “Lover”
  5. “The Uninvited”
  6. “Peace Is Broken”
  7. “Calm the Fire”
  8. “Waters Rising”
  9. “Farther than the Sun”
  10. “Cry a River”
  11. “All Ends Well”
  12. “Fortress”

Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry

Great blues by one of the biggest guitar talents of this generation. My favorite album by him for several years now. “Dust Bowl” that came out earlier this year is also really good.

1. “The Ballad of John Henry”
  2. “Stop!” (Sam Brown)
  3. “Last Kiss” Bonamassa
  4. “Jockey Full of Bourbon” (Tom Waits)
  5. “Story of a Quarryman”
  6. “Lonesome Road Blues”
  7. “Happier Times”
  8. “Feelin’ Good” (Cy Grant)
  9. “Funkier Than a Mosquito’s Tweeter” (Ike & Tina Turner)
  10. “The Great Flood”
  11. “From the Valley”
  12. “As the Crow Flies” (Tony Joe White)

Halestorm - Reanimate 2.0

A bunch of covers of classic rock songs by a bad-ass band with their own unique sound. One of the coolest bands to see live today.

1. Dissident Aggressor (Judas Priest)
  2. Get Lucky (Daft Punk)
  3. Shoot To Thrill (AC/DC)
  4. Hell Is For Children (Pat Benetar)
  5. Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac)
  6. 1996 (Marilyn Manson)

When I’m writing, it’s emotion-heavy, selected by need: film music mostly, Zimmer or Zimmer-esque. But sometimes Queen, especially late Queen, (emotion again), Prokofiev, Puccini, R. Carlos Nakai, Jeremy Taylor, and Mountain. When I’m not writing, the diet is more varied.

There’s a great blog hosted by Roz Morris about soundtracks for writing: nailyournovel.wordpress.com/cate … oundtrack/

youtube.com/watch?v=YWf5BLUOhNM

youtube.com/watch?v=6sAgMxaSyqc

youtube.com/watch?v=z0lpss9MZEc

youtube.com/watch?v=cfwQVXEA3Ec

youtube.com/watch?v=PPRYQfBqwvE

I like my Jameson neat, I never mix it… just like listening to music and writing. :wink: I absorb the genius behind the music… then re-channel that genius into my writing. Shoulders of giants etc.
Vic

Currently listening to
Prayer of the Refugee - off of the album “The Suffer and the Witness”
youtube.com/watch?v=9-SQGOYOjxs

Rise Against - All Albums

NOFX - All Albums

The Offspring - All Albums

The Misfits - Walk Among Us

Pennywise - All Albums

Bad Religion - Against The Grain

Strung Out - All Albums

No Use For A Name
Black Pacific
Black Flag
Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tendencies
7 Seconds
Minor Threat
Fugazi
Metallica
Anthrax
Public Enemy
Eminem
Otis Taylor
Spider Bait
Kathleen Edwards
Sum 41
Thrice
Jimmy Hendricks
Black Sabbath
Violent Femmes
The Cure
to name a couple…

Where y’ coming from Pige? No Lieutenant Pigeon?!!!
Y" taste in music is (a rude word :blush: )
youtube.com/watch?v=d1yv9wF2Xz4
youtube.com/watch?v=cXOa9mrZRlk
youtube.com/watch?v=-CqmKVu0jyg
youtube.com/watch?v=w9Rn0iZAYl0

Fluff

I listen to music when I’m driving or when I’m doing stuff. During my writing, I need silence.

Young Master Bluesman,
that makes three of us. You… me…and His Obtuseness.
Fluff

What am I listening to?

Some Robyn Hitchcock, especially “Ole! Tarantula” and “Jewels for Sophia”.
R.E.M. (my absolutely favourite band) is never far from the top of the Recently Played list. Any of the albums will do (except “Around The Sun” and “Collapse Into Now” which, let’s face it, suck).
I’ve recently been re-listening to 2001’s “classic” album “Heliotherapy” by The Sunflowers, and
the “Best of Frank Sinatra” is still making a regular appearance following a bit of a Sinatra binge in the run-up to NiaD2013. With Christmas around the corner, Frank’s “The Christmas Album” is becoming more common.

Plus, whenever I need an energy boost, I listen to Nom’s Theme.

Normally have something by the Grateful Dead playing.
I know that shows my age but have always wanted to write. Until I retired a few years ago could never find the time. Now can’t get away from the keyboard.

Failing that I have some late 60’s or early 70’s songs in the mix.

Phil

Ha harghh!
Now I am listening to:
A Lapdance Is So Much Better When The Stripper Is Crying” - Bloodhound Gang off the “Hooray For Boobies” Album. Which many may know for the hit single “The Bad Touch” (You and me baby ain’t nothin’ but mammals - So let’s do it like they do on the Discovery Channel)

youtube.com/watch?v=YMGVMtnxXEw

This album went platnium so I guess there are lot of people out there with the same bad taste. :slight_smile:

Now that’s more like the Wock we all know and try to avoid. It’s got wock written all over it.
Vic

Here are the lyrics so you can sing along vic-k!

[size=150]WARNING THIS MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO MANY[/size]

When you mentioned Nom’s song, I assumed at first that you meant…
youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s

To many, what? Pige
Vic
PS see y’ve had y’re feathers dyed, but I think I miss the arrow. There was an air of… of, err, appropriateness, about an arrow through your head. Still styles come and styles go. Ah well c’est la vie…eh?
Vic
Here y’ go pige… sit back, close your eyes, and float of into oblivion.
youtube.com/watch?v=t0-1sQ0XOGE

MANY Few

not to be mistaken with FEW many

Depending on the recording quality of whatever interview I’m currently working on, I’ve almost always got music on in the background - a good beat keeps the fingers typing and stops me from getting distracted and Googling random things (or posting on forums :open_mouth: )

My two most recent purchases are in high rotation right now:

Quite eclectic compared to her other albums, some things I didn’t expect to hear from Avril. Not an instant classic or anything, but way better than she gets credit for (people love to hate on Avril for some reason).

I don’t know that they actually save rock and roll, or that it needs saving necessarily, but still a good album. A bit of a poppier direction than their previous stuff.

Back when The Cure released the Head on the Door - Robert Smith said they’d tried to make every song sound like it was from a different band. I’m thinking FOB may have had a similar idea on this one.

Other artists I’ve been listening to lately:

Simple Plan
Hedley
Hey Monday
Green Day
Depeche Mode
Angels & Airwaves
blink-182
New Order
The Pursuit of Happiness
Lifehouse
Daughtry
Marianas Trench
Pet Shop Boys
Reel Big Fish
Bowling for Soup
Less Than Jake
Bush
Linkin Park
Our Lady Peace
Moist
Christina Aguilera
AJ Rafael
+44
Finger Eleven
Doughboys
The Grapes Of Wrath
Forever the Sickest Kids
Foo Fighters

List culled from my Last.fm profile - I’ve only recently started using that, and I’m in the process of fixing my tags so it’s not necessarily representative of my tastes. For instance Lifehouse - my wife must’ve added them to the play list and they get counted before I realize what I’m hearing and skip them. They’re okay, but I’d never have them that high on the list…

At this particular moment…
Chet Baker.png

Aww, I love that dude (Chet). I haven’t listened to an album in ages. I listen to playlists, generally big playlists that takes me some weeks to complete. I listen to music early in the morning when I do my core exercises and when I walk to campus from home or from campus to home. Also in the car, but I don’t drive much. Currently listening to a playlist of ECM tracks that I previously rated 5 stars. It’s more than 400 tracks and some are live recordings of Keith Jarrett’s solo piano some 40 minutes long. So, it’ll take me a while to go through this playlist once more. But now I really want to listen to Chet… :smiley:

The latest thing that is burning electrons in my headphone cables is Bill Callahan, specifically Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.

If you like Dylan, Cohen or even Springsteen, this guy is carvin’ a piece of folk out of the side of society like it hasn’t been done in too long.

britanick.com/videos/?id=c1-Oep9uNwM