Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

Reading through comments and couldn’t resist. Teenage vampires? Only if they sparkle in the sunlight. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve updated the front page post with links to the downloads, so if anyone is hunting through this large thread for links, just go to page one. :slight_smile:

Not everyone shares our enthusiasm for NiaD

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/cleaning-up-forum-posts/24078/1

Young Master Foxtrot, don’t fret yourself, some folk have no sense of occasion.
Fluff

One thing sticks out for me with the book. The chapters, so far, are really blending together nicely from end to beginning.

I second this opinion! Currently at chapter 17 and enjoying it all over. Definitely.

Well, matt, a Union guy who owned a laptop in 1962 might as well have anything on that box anyway :wink:

No apology needed. These things happen when you work against tight deadlines.

I’m not deeply concerned with people who can’t read a message title correctly. “Novel in 3 days”? What a wimp!

Well, I wouldn’t be so harsh on anybody about that. In fact, it’s very hard to assimilate that a novel can be written in one day, whereas on the other side, it’s common knowledge that any novel cannot take longer that three days to be written. Hence the source of confusion. :wink:

I’d like to run that thought by JRR Tolkien or George RR Martin just to see what either has to say about the length of time to write a novel being only 3 days. Hmmmmm. I’ll have to hold a Séance for the one, however. Wonder if he’ll show?

I told you I don’t do history. I never lived in a time without computers.

Pig - when you get the chance, can you delete my 1960s laptop (and any iPods I threw in for good measure), and instead steal a what… a tea cosy?

At least with the nice suit you certainly made history!

BTW, I’ve just finished reading the novel. It was a real pleasure to enjoy it all, and see how things actually did manage to fit.

I didn’t get Gallagher on my chapter, so I resorted to a reference “in absence”. I see now that I was not alone. But of all the nice suit references, I’d like to say that I enjoyed the Alfred joke the most (by Victoria). Just both brilliant and funny.

I’m also glad to have found out that, fortunately, none of the gambles I took (when adding stuff of my own to the script) ended screwing up the story :wink:

What a funny, enjoyable and fruitful experience this has been. In fact, a good subject for a future novel indeed.

Best regards and thanks a lot to you all.

A bit of fecking swearing can paper over the fecking cracks in even the structurally most fecking fecked-up fecking shite, don’t you find?

Well I fecking do.

FECKING EDIT: Feck. That’s shite. I meant “stylistically,” not “structurally”. Structurally it was immaculate, on account of fecking Pigfecker’s labours. Diligent fecking arrse.

Victoria takes a bow.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

A laptop? Seriously? How the hell did I miss that?

Oh well. I’ve updated the files (the links are the same). And as much as I’m amused by the idea of tea cosy thieves terrorising Las Vegas, I went with “radio” in the end. :smiley:

At the risk of annoying further, and with due apologies, those who have been irritated by the traffic on this thread …

1. Can someone please advise me how to upload NiaD3 onto a Kobo (presumably .epub) and a Kindle Paperwhite (.mobi?). The latter will have to be through my wife’s computer as the Kindle is hers; the former is mine, but on the Kobo desktop I can’t find any way to access the file system on my MBA, only the Kobo store.

2. As a suggestion to the powers that be, would not the appropriate place to move the NaiD stuff to be the Scrivenings forum?**

Thanks

Mr X

** No doubt Vic-K will now come in with a counter suggestion of ANFTL, a.k.a “the bilge”!

I’m going to keep my version with “laptop” and the extra two words at the end of Chapter 23. Someday it will be very valuable, like a postage stamp with a misprint.

But seriously: I laughed out loud at “laptop”. If I’d been in charge I’d have left it in, just like all the other (more subtle) artifacts of the short time. I’m not criticizing removing it; there are different views of what constitutes literature.

Does this help with the KP?

dummies.com/how-to/content/h … our-k.html

And the Kobo?

arecafe.com/digimonkey-ebook … o-ereader/