Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

In his weaker moments, pigfender may dream of nixing the NIAD, but he should bear in mind that we are all now very schooled in organized crime, and it’s murder what some people can do with an airlock.

gr

Pigfender, a thousand thank yous for running this magnificent project for us again! It’s a blast, and wonderful mental exercise. (Especially when you’re utterly ignorant of the genre. I’m another of those who has never seen the Godfather or any other gangster movie or read a single gangster novel.)

FredInChina, you’re entirely welcome. As I said, there was almost nothing to tweak in your story, and I was glad to help with this project in even a tiny way.

As for the future, count me among those who hope that Pigfender will, ten months from now, no longer have nightmares about NIAD and, hopefully, start having that little ‘hmmm’ feeling cropping up now and then. :slight_smile:

Because I think designing the story for one of these NIAD is a rare and special talent. How can you come up with a book with a coherent plot line that even the people writing it have no idea that they are writing the beginning or a climax or even the end??? It baffles me.

All I keep thinking of is the genres that are pretty much eliminated. How could you do a mystery? A quest? A suspense thriller? A romance?

First thing first… Pete, I’m sorry for the extra words at the end of your chapter. I have rectified and uploaded so if you re-download you’ll find it should all be as it should be.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for keeping me entertained during the day itself.

Yes, the project file has all the briefings (they were all created an compiled using Scrivener), both in a folder for global viewing and as snapshots for individual chapters.

What did people think of the final book?

Okay, I’ve had guests at home most of the day and between making music and this and that I couldn’t really sit down. Now I’m about a third down the novel and I’m enjoying it a lot, even though I don’t like the mafia mythos. But I’m looking forward to the next chapter! (Michael Bywater’s, I believe).

First things first, though:

THANK YOU, Rog, for another extremely good writing experience! The info package was just right for me, my questions were more formal than anything, and I had a great time going through all the background info. It was a really impressive effort and made my task easier than I thought. I can only guess the work and the frustrating hours that went behind it and I’m in awe. You’re the boss, boss!

I’m definitely hooked to this particular writing exercise/party/crazy fun. If Rog wants to recover his life I’ll understand it, but I think NiaD should stay.

Now, back to reading! Im impressed by the level of everybody (makes me feel a little inadequate but more than happy to have participated).

Adela

Its really well done, I think this year the crossover from chapter to chapter was really quite amazing and that is down to you and the way you gave out information. Thank you again

I agree (so far). The whole book feels smoother. Maybe it’s easier to find a “voice” for this particular genre, I don’t know.

Up to Chapter 8. So far 'Astonishing!!’
Well done Rog
Vic

Reading through comments and couldn’t resist. Teenage vampires? Only if they sparkle in the sunlight. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve updated the front page post with links to the downloads, so if anyone is hunting through this large thread for links, just go to page one. :slight_smile:

Not everyone shares our enthusiasm for NiaD

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/cleaning-up-forum-posts/24078/1

Young Master Foxtrot, don’t fret yourself, some folk have no sense of occasion.
Fluff

One thing sticks out for me with the book. The chapters, so far, are really blending together nicely from end to beginning.

I second this opinion! Currently at chapter 17 and enjoying it all over. Definitely.

Well, matt, a Union guy who owned a laptop in 1962 might as well have anything on that box anyway :wink:

No apology needed. These things happen when you work against tight deadlines.

I’m not deeply concerned with people who can’t read a message title correctly. “Novel in 3 days”? What a wimp!

Well, I wouldn’t be so harsh on anybody about that. In fact, it’s very hard to assimilate that a novel can be written in one day, whereas on the other side, it’s common knowledge that any novel cannot take longer that three days to be written. Hence the source of confusion. :wink:

I’d like to run that thought by JRR Tolkien or George RR Martin just to see what either has to say about the length of time to write a novel being only 3 days. Hmmmmm. I’ll have to hold a Séance for the one, however. Wonder if he’ll show?

I told you I don’t do history. I never lived in a time without computers.

Pig - when you get the chance, can you delete my 1960s laptop (and any iPods I threw in for good measure), and instead steal a what… a tea cosy?

At least with the nice suit you certainly made history!

BTW, I’ve just finished reading the novel. It was a real pleasure to enjoy it all, and see how things actually did manage to fit.

I didn’t get Gallagher on my chapter, so I resorted to a reference “in absence”. I see now that I was not alone. But of all the nice suit references, I’d like to say that I enjoyed the Alfred joke the most (by Victoria). Just both brilliant and funny.

I’m also glad to have found out that, fortunately, none of the gambles I took (when adding stuff of my own to the script) ended screwing up the story :wink:

What a funny, enjoyable and fruitful experience this has been. In fact, a good subject for a future novel indeed.

Best regards and thanks a lot to you all.