Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

So, Pigfender, now that you are all rested up, I am sure your thoughts have now turned to next year. So, I just wanted to put this bug in your ear. Okay, wait for it. Trilogy-in-a-Day. I know! Right? Pigfender?

Medic. Medic!! Man down, man down!!

Cheers.
–gr

Very well done, Pigfender! You did a great job. I hope you catch up on the lost sleep soon.

I’ve just finished reading the amalgamated masterpiece, and it’s good to see the plot arc as a whole – not just a surprise ending, for me, but a surprise nearly-everything-else, too. Very enjoyable. Although I sort of expected to see more artichokes (taken from the breakdown of organised crime rackets). :wink:

About the suit thing… Part of my brief read as follows: “Marazzi tells Gallagher he looks like shit in his cheap suit and pulls off a few bills and leaves them for Gallagher and tells him to buy himself a new suit.”

Well done Pigfender, you did a brilliant job again. It is so much fun, and you have to smile every time you read “Nice Suit”. My contribution to that was:
“Nodding, she turned and walked away, calling out as she went, “Nice Suit”. He laughed as he watched her enter the hospital…”
The whole book really come together well, so I think you got it spot on with information and background.
Enjoy your sleep you deserve it Thank you.

You mean, he didn’t always wear nice suits? Oh well, it worked out anyway. That part, to me, just sounded like Bobby being a smart arse…

Chapter 23 appears to have been cut off somehow.

The part I’m struggling with is equating author’s names and forum names. We need a breakdown of who did what chapter-wise.

Also, pigfender… When you do the Scrivener project, can you throw the original briefs into document notes or synopsis.

I am left wondering which bits were original story, and which bits extended the brief in unexpected ways.

Matt

What the heck?!?!? I was writing the last chapter and I didn’t even realise?? I thought I was situated at the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the book! That’s amazing. Am glad I ended it the way I did. :smiley:

Although I didn’t know how much animosity had gone before and since I thought I was at the beginning of the book I downplayed the confrontation. If I had known it was the last chapter I would have written it differently I think. :slight_smile: I’ll have to read the book now to see if I didn’t give it a bit of a weak ending. Sorry, folks. But those are the joys of NIAD. And I wouldn’t have changed knowing. This was a marvellous surprise.

I did love writing for this edition. This installment was easier for me to write than both previous ones. And I enjoyed this one more too. I had a lot of fun. Thanks to Pig for once again organising this and I volunteer to help organise next year’s edition. So there…

It got extended. Ignore the last two words.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

Since pigfender attempted to back out of next year and nominated me last night, I have been giving it some thought.

Depending on timing when we roll around to next November, I don’t mind the idea of throwing my hat in the ring for organising one also… But I will sure as hell need some story ideas that can stretch over 25 chapters, so perhaps we can work as a double team?

Actually, there’s a question for everyone: what genre should the great NIAD tackle next?

Heck yeah, I’d love to help out. Any genre suggestions welcome.

Edited to tone down my enthusiasm; didn’t want to sound like I wanted to push Pig out, cause I don’t. He’s the grand master here. :slight_smile:

How about something with teenage vampires :slight_smile:

That is, of course, if pigfender still wants to give away his baby by then.

He’ll be back, we know he will :wink:

Yes of course, only if Pig wants to hand over the steering wheel. Let’s hear from him first. But if the post opens up I’d be happy to step up with you.

Nah-uh!! That question got answered this year: whoever runs the show, picks the genre, no-one else knows until the day. We all grumble about it, that’s what makes it a good rule.

Would love to see this continue as a yearly thing but hey lets not assume Pigfender is out he has a unique and excellent approach to running this, and I would hate for him give up his baby, maybe if he needs help the way to go he could delegate and get us helping him. Would hate to not see him involved. Just some thoughts :slight_smile:
Pigfender I know its your choice so not trying to persuade you to do it is that me twisting your arm, never :slight_smile:

Yeah, absolutely.

It’s Rog’s as long as he wants it, no one would dream of taking it off him. But all jokes aside it is clearly a difficult thing to manage each and every year, and every year he swears it is the last time. If extra support rather than giving it up entirely is the way he wants to do it, I’m on board for helping him that way too.

So we’ll at least give him options and make him feel guilt-free about giving it up if its the path he wants to choose. Besides, at some point he might enjoy/suffer the other side of not knowing anything about the rest of the story.

Nothing needs to be decided until at least June next year, I suspect, which will give him plenty of time to recover and make a decision.

Matt

Thanks PigFender and AmberV for letting me in, and to BethCutter for reviewing my work prior to submission, and making it readable by the locals. (Have I posted that before?)

Like most of us, Pigfender will need a bit of time for the memories of the anxiety to wear off and want another go at this next year; give him time, he’ll be back… with a vengeance! :wink:

…teenage vampires?
Hummm…

No, thank you! :shock:

Oooh thanks everyone! I had a great time doing this! I really loved the info pack. It had just enough information to give you a framework but left enough room so you get creative.

I’m so glad I’ve lost my NIAD virginity!

Seeing the briefing pack was very beneficial for me and my own stories.

After pigfender has slept for a week I shall ask him some questions about how he put it together. I’ve downloaded the story now I just need to put it on my kindle. :slight_smile:

In his weaker moments, pigfender may dream of nixing the NIAD, but he should bear in mind that we are all now very schooled in organized crime, and it’s murder what some people can do with an airlock.

gr

Pigfender, a thousand thank yous for running this magnificent project for us again! It’s a blast, and wonderful mental exercise. (Especially when you’re utterly ignorant of the genre. I’m another of those who has never seen the Godfather or any other gangster movie or read a single gangster novel.)

FredInChina, you’re entirely welcome. As I said, there was almost nothing to tweak in your story, and I was glad to help with this project in even a tiny way.

As for the future, count me among those who hope that Pigfender will, ten months from now, no longer have nightmares about NIAD and, hopefully, start having that little ‘hmmm’ feeling cropping up now and then. :slight_smile:

Because I think designing the story for one of these NIAD is a rare and special talent. How can you come up with a book with a coherent plot line that even the people writing it have no idea that they are writing the beginning or a climax or even the end??? It baffles me.

All I keep thinking of is the genres that are pretty much eliminated. How could you do a mystery? A quest? A suspense thriller? A romance?

First thing first… Pete, I’m sorry for the extra words at the end of your chapter. I have rectified and uploaded so if you re-download you’ll find it should all be as it should be.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for keeping me entertained during the day itself.

Yes, the project file has all the briefings (they were all created an compiled using Scrivener), both in a folder for global viewing and as snapshots for individual chapters.

What did people think of the final book?

Okay, I’ve had guests at home most of the day and between making music and this and that I couldn’t really sit down. Now I’m about a third down the novel and I’m enjoying it a lot, even though I don’t like the mafia mythos. But I’m looking forward to the next chapter! (Michael Bywater’s, I believe).

First things first, though:

THANK YOU, Rog, for another extremely good writing experience! The info package was just right for me, my questions were more formal than anything, and I had a great time going through all the background info. It was a really impressive effort and made my task easier than I thought. I can only guess the work and the frustrating hours that went behind it and I’m in awe. You’re the boss, boss!

I’m definitely hooked to this particular writing exercise/party/crazy fun. If Rog wants to recover his life I’ll understand it, but I think NiaD should stay.

Now, back to reading! Im impressed by the level of everybody (makes me feel a little inadequate but more than happy to have participated).

Adela