Just for fun: "Why Microsoft Word must Die"

sfosparky
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 pm Post

——————
My enjoyment of Scrivener is enhanced by the way that Scrivener constantly reminds me that it's not Microsoft Word. And I suspect that many of you who have used both Scrivener and Word understand very well what I mean.

For those who do, here's a fun read from author Charles Stross's blog titled Why Microsoft Word must Die.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... t-die.html

Note, too, that Scrivener is mentioned near the end of the article…

Cheers & happy reading,
Riley
SFO

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 pm Post

Mod note: moved from Wish List to a more appropriate forum
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Mod note: moved from Wish List to a more appropriate forum
Miss Jennifer, there is nothing appropriate about the, ANFTL forum.

Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:32 am Post

Sad piece of history: Word 3.5 for the Mac
Was an excellent word processor.
Then they added more and more superfluous dongles
Until it was a bloated, memory-hogging mess.

Seems to be an imperative in the software industry:
Since our market for compulsive upgraders is small
Keep them busy buying ever more frequent upgrades.

sfosparky
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:39 pm Post

Since our market for compulsive upgraders is small
Keep them busy buying ever more frequent upgrades.

Programmers are more expensive to acquire and maintain than polo ponies. So their owner needs to come up with an ongoing revenue stream of size "N" from each user, where N is the amount of money each user must contribute to the care and feeding of the vendor's programmers.

The problem is, those darn users seldom want enough new features. So every fiscal year the vendor has a big and important meeting. The meeting attendees are required to create a list of new features not on the basis of user needs, but solely to pad out that year's New! Features! list until it's no longer an outright embarrassment to the value of N.

The result of the software industry's prevailing business model is a long list of commercial software products cluttered with features that are worse than useless.

My key point being that here's hoping our friends at L&L / Scrivener will have better sense…
Last edited by sfosparky on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaysen

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm Post

sfosparky wrote:The result of the software industry's prevailing business model is a long list of commercial software products cluttered with features that are worse than useless.

My key point being that here's hoping our friends at L&L / Scrivener will have better sense…

I think you will find the prevalent message to "new features" for L&L is a gently stated "no". KB, the captain of the L&L ship, is a firm believer in the KISEFV (Keep It Simple Enough For Vic-k) methodology. When really great ideas come up things like Scapple emerge.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:KB, the captain of the L&L ship, is a firm believer in the KISEFV (Keep It Simple Enough For Vic-k) methodology.

No, really? Last I heard, he was deep in the innards of Linux
And on his way to making Scriv run on Raspberry Pi :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm Post

druid wrote: to making Scriv run on Raspberry Pi

Rhubarb crumble... smart arse!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Juddbert
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm Post

vic-k wrote:

Both wrong. Scrivener draws its essential nourishment from the traditional Cornish pasty, and, like that esteemed culinary masterpiece, "T'is a proper job, me 'ansome!"
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

Sin

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:58 am Post

Juddbert wrote:
vic-k wrote:

Both wrong. Scrivener draws its essential nourishment from the traditional Cornish pasty, and, like that esteemed culinary masterpiece, "T'is a proper job, me 'ansome!"

I don't get why you'd put corn in yall's pastry. Anyway, down 'round these parts we got these exotic little critters called possum.

Juddbert

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 am Post

Sin wrote:
Juddbert wrote:Both wrong. Scrivener draws its essential nourishment from the traditional Cornish pasty, and, like that esteemed culinary masterpiece, "T'is a proper job, me 'ansome!"

I don't get why you'd put corn in yall's pastry. Anyway, down 'round these parts we got these exotic little critters called possum.

Possum pasty? Tasty is'um?

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:56 am Post

Juddbert wrote:
Sin wrote:
Juddbert wrote:Both wrong. Scrivener draws its essential nourishment from the traditional Cornish pasty, and, like that esteemed culinary masterpiece, "T'is a proper job, me 'ansome!"

Hmm, my wife just made me watch a documentary on burlesque (honest! It was quite good actually). But now I'm confused by "possum pasty". I don't think the word "pasty" is being used in quite the same way? I blame vic-k. Not so much for the pasty mayhem, just in general…

Oh NO! :shock:
I'm not going to suffer with this mental image alone: I just had a vision of vic-k in a leather welder's apron, possum fur pasties and… rhubarb crumble.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Juddbert

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am Post

nom wrote:Hmm, my wife just made me watch a documentary on burlesque (honest! It was quite good actually). But now I'm confused by "possum pasty". I don't think the word "pasty" is being used in quite the same way? I blame vic-k. Not so much for the pasty mayhem, just in general…

Oh NO! :shock:
I'm not going to suffer with this mental image alone: I just had a vision of vic-k in a leather welder's apron, possum fur pasties and… rhubarb crumble.

Rhubarb crumble? It's the whipped cream that scares me. Do you think the welder's apron might carry through to Vic-k's dominatrix obsession? :shock:

BodminBeast

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am Post

This Cornish pasty is definitely a "Proper Job".

By the way, no possums or other exotic critters were harmed in the making of this culinary delight. So there! :wink: :mrgreen:
Attachments
pasty2.jpg
pasty2.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 3114 times

Sin

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:
Sin wrote:

Anything is possible with enough ketchup.