Scrivener on different machines and different OSs

Ur
Ursula

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am Post

I use Scrivener on my iMac G5 with Mac OS 10.5.8 as well as on my MacBook Pro with 10.6.8. My Scrivener Projects are located in Dropbox. So far I didn't have problems sharing Scrivener projects between different OSs.

Now I got my son's old MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.8, and now I really don't know what to do. Is it still possible to share the projects via Dropbox between Mac OS 10.5.8, 10.6.8 and 10.8? Do I have to care which version of Scrivener I use?

What will happen when Scrivener for iOS will be released? I have an iPad Mini and use it for writing much more than I imagined.

And there is upcoming Mavericks too...

For financial reasons I have to look for a low budget solution. Easiest solution would be to buy a big screen for the MacBook Pro or a new (refurbished or secondhand) iMac, I know. But I still like the old iMac for writing.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:26 pm Post

The project format itself is a stable entity. It doesn't matter where you load it from, and in fact you can even throw a project on a PC and load it using the Windows version. There are some minor interface differences between Mac OS versions that will unlock when you run Scrivener on the newer systems (for instance, OS-wide full screen mode was introduced in 10.7, and so this feature is invisible when running Scrivener on a 10.6 machine or earlier), but these do not impact the project format itself.

iOS is a completely different beast, not least of which because of its non-file system approach. However we intend to make this as seamless as possible. It wouldn't be able to interface with your entire project as the technology for doing so just isn't there, but if all goes well one could access the same project from Dropbox using their mobile in the day, and their Mac in the evening.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ur
Ursula

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 pm Post

Good to know, thank you!