Internal server errors

Eek. Thanks for the info. This doesn’t sound brilliant. My hosts are brilliant in nearly every other way, too… Cheap with great service and numerous features. Oh well, guess I’ll have to look into this when my contract runs out with them in August again…
Thanks again,
Keith

i used to run a phpbb forum and one thing that i used to do to improve performance was manually dump the cache table via phpmyadmin or the host interface…might remedy a few issues, not sure…

there’s some amazing support on the phpbb forums as well, certainly worth a look.

I continue to get frequent “Internal Server Errors”, when visiting this forum. especially around ten or eleven o’clock in the evening. It looks like ten or at most fifteen simultaneous visitors are the absolute maximum the server and / or the host can handle. And especially late in the evening the simultaneous visitors frequently are more than fifteen.

I asked around on another phpBB forum I visit at projectmagma.net, and the answer I got was this:

So yeah, another confirmation that the basic problem is the whole 4 processes thing, as others have said.

I get these all the time, even when I’m the only one on the site. I’ve written Keith (as have others, most likely) and he is aware of the issue. It can be so bad I give up entirely and just check back later.

Okay, I’m not sure how relevant this is but while the four processes sounds like an awfully low number I think half of that statement has somehow been lost. What the original reply said was:

So, if you are happy with your host in every other way, you may want to look into that more carefully before panicking… just a thought.

I suspect that “per user” is from the host’s point of view, i.e., KB is one user, and his website gets 4 connections. Host-side restrictions are usually set up that way.

But coudn’t it be simply a capacity problem of the server?

Indeed. In this case, we are considered to be sessions in hosting nomenclature. Not users. Users are the people/person who maintain a web site.

Is it just me, or is the frequency of internal server errors increasing?

Tim

It’s not you Tim. Logging in and navigating the forum is becoming a real struggle.

Roy

I am still monitoring the issue. Looks like I’ll have to go for my own server, though the trouble with that is that everything will need transferring and there will be downtime - and it’s a lot more expensive, of course…
Best,
Keith

If not for the wonderful community, I’d have stopped coming to the forum two months ago. 25 second delays between clicking on a link and being able to read the post are the norm. If there’s a way to improve response times, I’d welcome it.

Is cost a big issue? I have no idea how much getting your own server would run.

Edit: Not that I want this to be one of those cases where one thing leads to another and then another. First you want a writing program, then you write one, then you upgrade it, then you have to upgrade to your own server to support it – and in the meantime, the whole point of the program takes back stage. Ignore me. Write the book!

Margaret

And then, just when I was ready to give up, the response time is back to almost instantaneous. Perplexing, but most welcome.

Margaret

Is this a big problem for most people?

I check in to the forum several times per day ( it’s on top of my “fora-to-scan-often” list), and I only experience the ‘internal server error’ error very occasionally; certainly not every day and often not for several days.

FWIW…

Regards,

Joachim

As well as the message, I’ve started to get the following:

[color=green]Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User kblount has already more than ‘max_user_connections’ active connections in /home/u1/kblount/literatureandlatte.com/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/u1/kblount/literatureandlatte.com/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/u1/kblount/literatureandlatte.com/html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Variety is the spice of life…
:wink:

Juddbert et al, good morning,

Im getting the new warning too, as well as all the other problems navigating the forums, but, something I noticed yesterday was, if you use, Jump to Select a Forum``, at the bottom of the page it always seems to work, straight away, even when the forward/ back` arrows are taking forever.

Keith is talking about his own server and the expense of it. It occurs to me that, there is a community evolving around Scrivener, within these forums, and each member of this community seems to place a great deal of value on having Scriv to work with. Nobody could possibly be ignorant of how much time and effort Keith put into Scriv, or just how willing he is to oblige with anything he can do to make it better.

Im proposing: that we do a feasibility study to see how we can, as a group, finance the purchase and running of Keiths server.

Would anyone like to second the Proposal?

Take care
Vic

Actually I have just bitten the bullet and paid for my own server to fix these problems. I won’t get chance to move everything over to the new server or a couple of weeks, though, owing to holidays and things, and of course I want to make sure that everything is running perfectly on the new server before transferring the domain name over.

So - hold fast. These problems should be fixed by the end of the month. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Yay! (It took one server error to post this!) :slight_smile:

Alexandria

Alexandria, my little chuckle bunny!

can I take it that your yay! is a seconding of my proposal to fund the cost of the server. If it is let me know, then I can approach Keith officially and make some enquires as to the best way to proceed.

Take care
Vic