iOS Update

macstories.net/stories/edito … ad-review/

I think the iPad does have at least the potential to be a primary writing platform. Some already advocate it, for instance Federico Viticci in his macstories review of Editorial

No, we have no intention of cramming the entire Scrivener for desktop system into a tablet or telephone! :slight_smile: The goal here is to analyse what one needs while they are not around their computer, and provide these core features in the most efficient way possible. Yes, this means retained formatting when getting your work on/off the computer. I think it is fair to say that one of the reasons the iOS version has taken as long as it has is because of our high standards in this area. We didn’t want to force everyone to use Markdown or a hybrid equivalent (not that these could really even provide full formatting parity anyway, was Markdown isn’t about formatting, but assigning semantics). It means making it so you don’t have to hit your forehead 20 minutes after you leave the house, suddenly remembering you accidentally left your project open at home, but rather consequently being able to edit and access it on the go anyway. It means being able to take quick pocket notes as you think of them.

The discussion on whether any tablet or mobile can actually replace a computer is… interesting, but probably academic at this point. I think it is great that people are trying to do that. Frankly I’d rather give up computers and become a carpenter, than try and use a tablet for everything. That would be awful for me. But all of that aside, our goal is not to recreate what Scrivener provides on the Mac or a PC, but rather to give our users on these platforms of viable and seamless experience whenever they step away from the desk. If you want to jot down an idea you have on the subway using your iPhone, you should be able to do that and have it in your project notes when you get back to the office or home. If you cart around a keyboard with your iPad and have a great idea for how a scene ought to unfold, you should be able to haul that out in a coffeehouse and hack away on it, having that scene right in the master outline of your Draft when you get back. You can already do some of this with the Mac version and folder sync, but we want to make it so you can access all of your writings, background information, and the important outline structure itself, even on a mobile phone.

Yes!
When I was on vacation in Italy a few weeks ago I had my Asus eepc netbook with it’s 1024x768 res and scrivener installed.
I did some work on it, but I won’t be doing it again. At the end I started writing on paper again and wishing I had taken my iPad with me :wink:
Scrivener -although working fine on my netbook- wasn’t build for such a low resolution I think. With the tiny trackpad moving the mouse pointer from binder nodes, to index cards, to the text was tedious. I really wished being able to touch the screen.
On the other hand I like writing on my iPad very much, either with a bluetooth keyboard or even the touch keyboard. But … I miss the background infos, the structure, the other scenes quickly to look through. And getting it back to scrivener … too much fiddling imho.
Now that I have my beloved mba 13’’ all is good, but of course I more often have my iPad with me when outside than my mba.

So, to make it short, quick and easy navigation through all essential information (binder, index-card, content, comments etc.) is most important. Usage of all the common ‘iPad ways of doing thing’ like pinching for zoom and sliding panels is very important. And like you said, no matter where I write, it simply should be in synch.

Btw will you use iCloud? Since I bought Scrivener through your website I think this is the without-iCloud version. A synch through wifi would be nice too :slight_smile:

It’s unlikely to support iCloud. Not only do those who bought through our website, and all our Windows users, have no access to iCloud, but iCloud isn’t really set up to handle Scrivener’s deep package-based format. Dropbox will be our focus.

I will add to what Ioa said that Scrivener for iOS will work as a standalone application - it will be a paid app so it needs to be able to stand on its own - but there’s no doubting that it will really come into its own when used as a companion to the desktop version.

As for the desktop version being used on small interfaces, actually the Mac version was originally created on a 1024x768 machine and I’ve tried to ensure it continues to scale well on small screens. The Windows version may require a little more space, I’m not sure.

Ooohh Scrivener with formatted markdown a’ la MMD composer…oops, nearly wet myself with excitement.

KB, please don’t flame me :slight_smile:

You’re banned! :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what I’m hoping for!

Longtime Scrivener user / forum lurker, first time caller. Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting into the iOS version of Scrivener. I can’t wait to have it on the go, and I think you guys have a good grip on what most users probably want out of a mobile app. Writing and editing are mainly what I’m doing right now, and access to all my drafts and notes would be wonderful. For now, I’m making do with exporting my manuscript as an EPUB, then reading it on my commute and highlighting / making notes for editing on the go. (I’m far enough along in my project that I can do that now-- outlining on the go involved a notebook, the paper kind, quelle horreur!)

But I always come back to Scrivener desktop, because no matter what else I try (and I’ve used Storyist, Textilus, and dozen or so other iPad apps in junction with Scriv), nothing compares to the original. I can’t even think straight in the other apps.

So… yep! Just keep doing what you guys are doing. Love your work, and I’m so obsessed with this software that I read the forums pretty much every week. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us. :slight_smile:

yeah, mac, not windows and certainly not an eepc netbook. I hate this piece, too small for everything and slow and not at all mobile.
And my eyes may be getting worse :wink:
Love my iPad though, even though I have a mba 13 now.

If not iCloud (good) what else will you use? Please not only dropbox.

Yes, only Dropbox, certainly for 1.x. Or you can just manually import and export the project using iTunes, of course.

Welcome aboard, katevee! Thanks for all the kind words. It sounds as though Scrivener for iOS will do exactly as you wish. We’re honing it in read-only mode now on the iPhone, then it will be on to getting all of the editing working without breaking, then revising the interface for iOS 7, then getting it jazzed up for the iPad… Actually the iPad version is going to be like having more than one version of the iPhone version running but linked together in neat ways. It’s hard to explain but is going to be very cool (I hope so anyway!).

Thanks again!

All the best,
Keith

I’m sure it will be cool… everything you do seems to be cool :slight_smile: I just wish I had enough writing talent to do your software justice :wink:

Gods, yes! I had to ditch MacJournal, as the syncing was just painful. Seamless syncing via DropBox is certainly possible - YNAB (You Need a Budget) does it very nicely, with transactions just appearing automatically on, say, your Mac a few minutes after they’re added on the phone.

At the moment I use Notebooks to sync manually with Scrivener, and it can be a bit painful (I’ve lost work by syncing devices in the wrong order!), so I really appreciate any efforts that L&L make to avoid this issue.

Also, on the plus side, if Scrivener for iOS won’t be out for a while yet, that gives me no reason yet to “upgrade” to iOS 7 :slight_smile:

Oh man… I am so moist with anticipation. The ambient humidity around me is… Unspeakable.

The only thing I really REALLY want is the brilliant scrivenings feature. Just looooooove that in the desktop version. Write like an idiot and then slice, dice and organize after.

You guys are keeping that right? :[]

Anyway… As you can see… I’m quite ready. Just say the word and I will be spamming the app store’s buy button!

Jin

Just booted up iMac… feeling like’yeuuurrrkkk!!". Read your post, jin, and haven’t stopped chuckling to myself. [size=150]:-))[/size] Thanks for the giggles, pal.
Take care
Vic

You should beta out the iPhone/iPod Touch version of it once you get editing working so we can break, er, test it for you. I use my iPod Touch 5 and a BT keyboard for maybe 20%-30% of my drafting as is, so I could probably pound 15-20 thousand word worth through test versions every month, and I’m sure there’s a few folk around here with far more ambition who wouldn’t mind helping … just a thought ;-p

Kensai

Just to add my tuppence worth. All I want is a programme that can access my Scrivener project(s) and allow my to add/edit and create new stuff. Totally suitable that it works with Dropbox as that’s how I work now, between my PC and laptop.

It’s not possible to do a public beta of iOS software, without asking everyone to jailbreak their devices, because that would essentially amount to distributing software outside of the App Store, and we wouldn’t want to have that going on now, would we. :wink:

Doh! I completely forgot that. I’ll wait with patience till it’s released.

Any idea when?

I emphatically implore you to include the name generator function to the iOS app. There are times I find myself writing by hand in a notebook and need a name on the fly while I’m away from the computer. Another suggestion might be a random town name generator and a business name generator for those who struggle with naming things in our stories.