Two independent back-up locations

I’d like to humbly ask for two independent backup locations.

For example, I’ve got two hard drives, and I’d love Scrivener to be able to simultaneously back up on each of them. This way, if one of my hard drives broke (or if the system crashed), the other backup location would probably remain intact.

In my view, this solution could also increase the safety of files for people who have only one hard drive, but for example a number of partitions.

mj

Seconded, even though I know this isn’t a democracy - I’d love to be able to backup simultaneously to my dropbox and harddrive, rather than manually copying them over.

This is one of many reasons why I stopped using DropBox and switched to Cubby. I made my Scrivener backup folder one of my “Cubbies” and everything in it is automatically synced with the cloud. Prior to that I used SpiderOak to achieve a similar result, but while Cubby is drag ‘n’ drop ‘n’ forget simplicity, SpiderOak was a lesson in complexity. :unamused:

While I understand and appreciate the need for this, I think this is better left to an external utility - there should be plenty of third-party programs that can automatically detect changes in one folder and clone them somewhere else (backup programs, basically).

There are a couple of reasons why this is best left to another utility:

1. Implementing multiple backups inside Scrivener would be fiddly, with the user having to choose multiple paths. That’s a minor consideration, though, admittedly.

2. More importantly, the user would have to wait for each backup to complete. If backups are set to be created on save, this is especially problematic. It thus slows down everything, making the user wait nearly twice as long.

I think one automatic backup from Scrivener in combination with an external backup solution that can take that backup and distribute it as necessary is therefore the best solution.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hadn’t heard of Cubby. Any folder as a Cubby sounds like a great idea—and you clearly seem to be happy with the service. Might well join up. Want to post or PM an invite link…
help.cubby.com/knowledgebase/art … -a-referra
…so that if I sign up (or anyone else does), you’ll get an extra GB of space?

PM sent. I hope you find Cubby as useful as I have.

Thank you very much, Nom

Have just completed the sign-up process following the link you gave in the PM, so you should have a GB more space on your account.

Will be interesting to see how is compares to Dropbox. A very clean interface.

Appreciate the tip.

Briar Kit

I’m not sure I understand the difference between Dropbox and the concept of also having something on your hard drive. The files in your Dropbox folder are on your hard drive; the utility just copies changes to and from the dropbox.com servers.

As for automatic syncing of backups to a second hard drive, aren’t there built-in utilities on Windows (“Briefcase” comes to mind) that will monitor a folder or folders and duplicate their contents periodically? I know on the Mac world there are a number of ways to accomplish this, including backing everything up with the built-in Time Machine, or using utilities like SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, and Chronosync. Surely there are some Windows equivalents* to these things that will also go beyond just backing up scrivener projects redundantly. After all, I’m sure you have other things that you’d like not to lose if your hard drive crashes (or thieves steal your laptop, or a fire consumes everything, or…)

*Actually, there is a great, cross-platform backup solution called CrashPlan. I don’t use it, but it gives you all sorts of options for backup, including hosted remote backups, “buddy” remote backups, and local hard drive backups.

I assume the posters mean that they store XX files on one place on their hard drives, and then copy those files into their Dropbox folders to initiate a cloud sync. They could, as you suggest, simply use the Dropbox folder as the place to store XX files in the first place—although not everyone likes to change their filing structure to suit Dropbox.

Both systems both end up doing the same thing (storing files on local hard drives as well as the cloud), but Cubby allows you to keep your existing file structure and sync any number of folders from within that. A flexible and useful feature—at least it is for me.

Ah… And upon re-reading, backing up simultaneously to dropbox and a hard drive probably also means that hard drive is an external hard drive.

I need to drink more tea before posting in the morning, apparently.

The OP was looking to backup to two hard drives simultaneously, and then @Nom came up with the suggestion to use Cubby to make a nigh on simultaneous hard drive and cloud backup without having to change the OP’s filing system to accommodate Dropbox’s way of working.

A useful tip for an interloper like me—though not what the OP was actually asking L&L for.

Are you making tea for all of us? :smiley:

I’m going to have a look at Cubby and CrashPlan. Maybe I’ll find them useful… :smiley:

Maybe my way would be usefull: I create special google-email account for my backups. Every evening I just sending last backup file there. And even in case my notebook will be stollen, I can always get my backups from google-email account.

Sure, there is utulity for automatic sending backups to mail, but I do it in “handmode”.

That works, but using DropBox, Cubby, or even Google Drive, is even easier. Using a cloud service like these means you don’t need to manually do anything: with the correct settings, your cloud service of choice will automatically save a backup remotely within minutes of closing your Scrivener project for the day. For myself, I’d rather use something automatic than trust that I will remember to do something manually.

Not to mention the limit on email attachments is quite small. A lot of my projects would never fit as an email attachment and mine are small change compared to some of the ones people on the boards have mentioned.