Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

The update—available from within Scapple itself via either (1) Scapple > Check For Updates or (2) Scapple > Preferences > Automatically check for updates—working well here with both existing and new Scapple files.

Accept that no new features will be added before actual release, but on my personal wish list for the future would be the ability to set the default alignment of notes.

Know they are easy enough to change, but would still like a default setting one day—if possible.

Great piece of software.

Thanks for the update! It’s great.

I found a bug:

1. Connect two notes.

2. Double-click the connection (the line)

3. Press ESC

In addition to aborting the new note, this operation removes the connection… :confused:

… and another bug:

Different border styles don’t show in QuickLook.
They’re all converted to the standard ”rounded” look.

Hmm, there might not be a way around the connection problem. When you create a new note on a line, you destroy the old line immediately. There are now two lines pointing from the new note to the notes that were originally linked. So if you delete that note the connecting lines are deleted. At that point there is no trace of the original connection.

Yes, in that instance you should just hit Undo - it’s not a bug.

The Quick Look thing is weird -I’ll look into that, thanks for pointing it out!

Found another bug (a real one, this time!):

1. Make sure the default note style is ’brown’ and that the default border is ’rounded’.
  2. Make a new note.
  3. Write ’1’ (just the digit 1, or any other single character).
  4. Press ESC to leave editing mode.
  5. Change the note’s style to something else, e.g. ”blue bubble”.

Hm… :astonished:

…What’s supposed to happen? Following those steps on the latest build (on OS X 10.6.8), it just changes the note style as I’d expect. Are you up to date with the latest version? There was an issue with the note styles on Snow Leopard with the previous beta, so you may just be experiencing that. Try Scapple > Check for Updates. The latest is 0.9.0.4 (3814) if you check About Scapple.

Hi MM. I’m on the newest version of Scapple (0.9.0.4)…

This is what happens:
notestyles.png
After changing note-style, the shape of the note changes from circular to oval.

Now, isn’t this clearly a bug?

I’m on 0.9.0.4 (3814) (and OS 10.8.3) and Scapple crashes each and every time I try to get to Preferences. Since it also crashes with no documents open, there is no use in sending you one…

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu, hold down the Option key so that “Library” appears in the menu, and select it. This will open the ~/Library folder in a Finder window. Drill down into ~/Library/Preferences and find the file entitled com.literatureandlatte.scapple.plist. Please attach that file to your reply to this post (you’ll most likely need to zip it up first), or send it to me at kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com. Then move the file to the Trash. After that, Scapple should work fine. It’s caused by a change in settings between beta versions, because I experienced it myself on one machine. I forgot to save my prefs file, though, so I’d like to take a look at your preferences to see the exact change that caused it. Once you’ve cleared the preferences, it shouldn’t happen again since it was just down to a change between versions.

I did as you advised me to, and the file should be in your mail now.
Then I sent the pref file to the trash as you told me. But I did it while Scapple was still open. As Scapple quit it created a new pref file. I now opened Scapple, and tried to go to Preferences. And it crashed once more.
Then I quit Scapple and sent the new pref file to the trash. After that I opened Scapple and could open its Preferences with no trouble.
Do you want me to send you the pref file I last sent to the trash?

A-ha! It was actually more serious than I thought - it was trying to read the standard note border colour for the background shape border colour, which could cause a crash in some instances but would also have led to the wrong default border colour being used. So it wasn’t just down to a change in the update as I had thought (or rather, it was, but it was a bug that was introduced). Thanks for sending the file - it helped me find and fix the bug.

No need to send the other pref file. Sorry, I should have clarified that Scapple needed to be closed when you deleted the prefs - otherwise it keeps the preferences in memory and rewrites them to disk.

All the best,
Keith

Dear developers,
I found a graphical bug. Let me try to put it simply:

When you change the style of a one-character note (”a”, ”2”), the note becomes smaller.

Please take a look at this image:
bug.png

Would you consider fixing this?

May not be what you want, but it is possible to resize the note after it has been stylised……

[attachment=0]zz 2013-03-27 at 10.55.20.png[/attachment]

This very minor bug has been fixed the next version, no need to make giant images to get your point across, as the first image you posted was more than adequate. Thank you.

@Mac, Keith

Thank you for your replies, and sorry for the giant image.
It wasn’t my intention to ”scream”, and I am sorry to have behaved in a rather childish way on a public forum.

Thanks again!

Happy to help.

Have a great Easter.

Mac

Dude, you seem to have an ability to make software that’s exactly what writers want. I was scouring the net for something like this, and when I found it, guess what, it’s from the guy who made Scrivener, the other software I’d once scoured the net for years ago and which, when I found it, settled on ever since.

Looking forward to release.

Many thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated.
All the best,
Keith