Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Oh, I finally did it. :mrgreen: It must have been something to do with Firefox because when I downloaded it using Safari, it downloaded straight away and it let me open it. Phew… tomorrow I can now take a look at it and see what it can do.

Thank you for replying … I really appreciate it.

Ah, it must have failed to completely download in Firefox and then never recovered. I’ve seen that happen before as well and usually restarting the browser fixes it. Glad you got it downloaded.

I don’t know if it’s only me – but I’m unable to ”Apply Note Style” to my notes in the newest version of Scapple! :frowning:

They just refuse to change from my default, which is ”brown” with a ”cloud” border.
(The border can be changed, just nothing from the ”ANS” menu. I.e., if I choose ”pink bubble” or ”red text”, nothing happens.)

I’m on Snow Leo…

Hope you can fix this, as I really love Scapple! :slight_smile:

Yes, someone else reported this already and Keith’s got it fixed for the next update; it’s specific to Snow Leopard, so not just you!

Thanks, MM! (Feeling relieved and looking forward to the update…)

Feature Request: Option to turn off double-clicking

Hello MM and Keith,

as much as I’m in love with Scapple, it does bother me that I have to double-click all the time!
My right hand is getting tired…

To prevent heavy users from getting arthritis, how about an option to
switch from double-clicking to click-and-hold (when creating new notes)?

You want a note somewhere, you click there, and keep the mouse button pressed for one second or so…

I think many wrists and fingers would bless you if you made this possible! :smiley:

:smiley:

First of all, I am loving this so far!

Two comments, one bug, one desired feature:

Bug: When I click “new” to start a new scrapple screen for a different project, nothing happens. (Ditto when I try to “Duplicate”

Desired Feature: I’ve gotten to where I really rely on Scrivener’s autosave feature. Scrapple doesn’t seem to do that.

Off to play more …

JK

Thanks for the reply, Keith! :slight_smile:

I appreciate the smiley! However, my feature request is ”for real”.

Is making an alternative to double-clicking (for creating new notes) something you will consider?

When reporting potential bugs, always state your System specs, as this s/w runs on 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. I’m using Scapple – not “Scrapple”, btw. :wink: – on 10.6.8 and ‘New’ works as expected.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Please open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if any errors get reported there when you try to do this - something very wrong is going on there.

Scapple, being a standard OS X document-based program, uses OS X’s native saving features, which means that it does autosave on Lion and Mountain Lion. If it’s not autosaving for you on these platforms, then it may be related to the bug you’re having where new documents aren’t being created, since all of this is handled by similar mechanisms. So let’s try to resolve that first.

All the best,
Keith

Oops, sorry, I thought you were joking. :blush:

Sorry, no, that’s probably not something I’d consider - is double-clicking really so painful? It’s pretty standard across OS X and Windows for most such actions…

All the best,
Keith

Oops! it’s just such a scrappy little program :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m using 10.8.2

JK

Yes, there were error messages. I’m uploading a screenshot.

Me too - I second that. Apply Note Style used to work, but no longer. I’m also on Snow Leopard. (I’d love to upgrade to the latest OS, but have you seen the price of new Macs lately?)

Apply Note Style and Copy Note Style broke in this update because of internal changes with background shapes. I’ve fixed this for the next update. I’d love to say the bug fix is going to be up soon, but I’m snowed under with Scrivener and the post-2.4 release stuff at the moment, so it may be a while before I can.

thatwritergirl - re-download and re-install. The main interface file is not loading properly, which indicates a corrupt copy.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,
thanks for that simple and beautiful new piece of software. I’m a true lover of scrivener, and I’m becoming a scapple’s one!
Having been testing scapple for now more than two months, I’m so sorry by I don’t have much bad to say! :slight_smile:
I had never been convinced by mind-mapping, considering unreal to have all new idea necessarily related to a previous one. And after any new try, I finally gave up. But you did something truly as flexible as a piece of paper, and even more since on a computer we can rearrange as far as the sheet gets written.
To implement, may I tell you just three small wishes:

• When you stack elements without borders, they don’t really look like stack as you would write a list on a paper. Would you do an alternative “stretch stack”? Or even automatically change the stack type depending on existing borders or not. Please see image below.
  • Would it be possible to decide where the arrow arrives or depart from? I mean sometimes we would like arrows to be fixed to the left part of the border of stacked elements, when relating to another elements situated on left but above. It would keep something more readable, the line not crossing all the elements above the one at bottom. Well, an image will explain better: stack approach.jpg
  • When printing, would we set an option to include in print the file name?

Don’t worry, even without these features, I will buy when officially released, and I already advertise it to friends!
All the best for final testing.
Cordialement!
Jean-Louis
NB: when I have finished my PhD, thanks to Scrivener :slight_smile:, I’d love to give a hand to localise Scrivener and Scapple in French…

I forgot a small thing.
About the icon… isn’t it a bit dark ?

Thanks for the kind words, jlg.

No, because stacks depend on the vertical distance between the notes, so it’s not possible to vary this distance.

This is out of scope, sorry, and would require a lot more logic to the arrow drawing. Or, rather, it’s out of scope for version 1.x at least. The idea is to keep things simple.

As a header? That might be possible, I’ll add that to the list to look at that.

No.

All the best,
Keith

No problem, it was written in a ”jokey” way. :slight_smile:

Double-clicking is okay when you have to do it once (like when you open a document).
But if you have a ”crush” with 100s of ideas appearing, it’s tiring!

I’d be bolder creating notes if I could just single-click the canvas.
Double-clicking is less impulsive. Sometimes it makes me think: ”Wait, maybe I should rather drop that idea…”

Okay, I fully understand you have other, more important details to implement! 8)
Thanks again for a great tool.