Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Wow. Just downloaded Scrapple this morning and within a few hours of playing with it, I could use it! Woo hoo!

This instruction

Holding both Option and Command down while double-clicking to create a new note when there is a selection now creates a note with a two-way arrow connection; holding down Shift and Command creates a note pointing back towards the selected note.

works opposite for me. i.e. Shift and Command gives two-way arrow, Option and Command gives arrow pointing back.

Thank you. Mind-mapping programs intimidated and confused me, this is exactly what I need.

Same here.

I have a feature request, as well. It would be really helpful if you could “focus” on a node and it’s children down to X number of branches. For instance, if a person clicked and held a node, everything else would fade, except for the descendants of that branch. Does that make sense? Let me know if you’d like me to mock it up.

From the initial post, regarding the 26.02.13 beta:

So, this is the expected behaviour. :slight_smile: The other documentation may just not have caught up yet, it being beta.

Hi and Can you Help??

I’m trying to download and open the zip for Scapple (the updated on on 26th Feb 2013) and it won’t let me open it. It says the file can’t be read. I’m using my MacBook Air and Scrivener works fine on it, but it just won’t let me open the Scapple zip. Can you help?

Ygdrasill

Can you unzip other files? If not, it sounds like your unzip program is jammed up. Try repairing permissions and rebooting, then trying again.

Thank you so much for replying… yes I can open other zips no problem. It’s just this one with Scapple. I’ve just tried to download the thing again and now the link on the website to the zip doesn’t work either.

Oh, I finally did it. :mrgreen: It must have been something to do with Firefox because when I downloaded it using Safari, it downloaded straight away and it let me open it. Phew… tomorrow I can now take a look at it and see what it can do.

Thank you for replying … I really appreciate it.

Ah, it must have failed to completely download in Firefox and then never recovered. I’ve seen that happen before as well and usually restarting the browser fixes it. Glad you got it downloaded.

I don’t know if it’s only me – but I’m unable to ”Apply Note Style” to my notes in the newest version of Scapple! :frowning:

They just refuse to change from my default, which is ”brown” with a ”cloud” border.
(The border can be changed, just nothing from the ”ANS” menu. I.e., if I choose ”pink bubble” or ”red text”, nothing happens.)

I’m on Snow Leo…

Hope you can fix this, as I really love Scapple! :slight_smile:

Yes, someone else reported this already and Keith’s got it fixed for the next update; it’s specific to Snow Leopard, so not just you!

Thanks, MM! (Feeling relieved and looking forward to the update…)

Feature Request: Option to turn off double-clicking

Hello MM and Keith,

as much as I’m in love with Scapple, it does bother me that I have to double-click all the time!
My right hand is getting tired…

To prevent heavy users from getting arthritis, how about an option to
switch from double-clicking to click-and-hold (when creating new notes)?

You want a note somewhere, you click there, and keep the mouse button pressed for one second or so…

I think many wrists and fingers would bless you if you made this possible! :smiley:

:smiley:

First of all, I am loving this so far!

Two comments, one bug, one desired feature:

Bug: When I click “new” to start a new scrapple screen for a different project, nothing happens. (Ditto when I try to “Duplicate”

Desired Feature: I’ve gotten to where I really rely on Scrivener’s autosave feature. Scrapple doesn’t seem to do that.

Off to play more …

JK

Thanks for the reply, Keith! :slight_smile:

I appreciate the smiley! However, my feature request is ”for real”.

Is making an alternative to double-clicking (for creating new notes) something you will consider?

When reporting potential bugs, always state your System specs, as this s/w runs on 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. I’m using Scapple – not “Scrapple”, btw. :wink: – on 10.6.8 and ‘New’ works as expected.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Please open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if any errors get reported there when you try to do this - something very wrong is going on there.

Scapple, being a standard OS X document-based program, uses OS X’s native saving features, which means that it does autosave on Lion and Mountain Lion. If it’s not autosaving for you on these platforms, then it may be related to the bug you’re having where new documents aren’t being created, since all of this is handled by similar mechanisms. So let’s try to resolve that first.

All the best,
Keith

Oops, sorry, I thought you were joking. :blush:

Sorry, no, that’s probably not something I’d consider - is double-clicking really so painful? It’s pretty standard across OS X and Windows for most such actions…

All the best,
Keith

Oops! it’s just such a scrappy little program :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m using 10.8.2

JK

Yes, there were error messages. I’m uploading a screenshot.