Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Search should be working fine, I’m having no problems with it anyway. It’s just the basic Cmd-F find tool that most Mac programs use, tweaked to jump you around on the canvas to locate matches.

I’ve also found search unreliable (sometimes Cmd-F just does not work). Also I noticed that pasting in a “clickable” URL (copied from a web page, for instance) break the XML, preventing Scapple from saving the current map. Has anybody reported this?

There were some problems with URLs that have been fixed for the next update. Stay tuned for that and see if you have more success with them once you have it installed.

I’ll need more information to help with the find problem you are experiencing, however. What steps are you taking, from a new blank document up to the point where Find breaks, and in as much detail as possible?

Scapple has been telling me this version will expire soon. Can I assume a new version will be out soon? I have a lot of data that I would lose if this app stops working. Thanks!

BTW, I find the alignment tools fine (one was added at my suggestion).

The thing I would really like is multiple pages in a list that I can make hierarchical.

Next on my list would be to move the selected elements when I hit the arrow keys.

-Bob

I’m not sure I know what you’re describing for the first one, but based on the word “hierarchical” I’m going to guess that it’s probably not something in the cards for Scapple, which is intentionally freeform and has no notion of ordering. There also isn’t any plan for nested notes-within-notes via popovers or that sort of thing, though I’m not sure that’s what you mean with “multiple pages”. The second wish however is already granted: you can type M to toggle the Movement mode (or select it from the Edit menu), and the arrow keys will then work to move the selected notes. Hold the Shift key while pressing the arrow keys to move in larger increments.

Just wondering, when the current beta expires next week, will we see a beta extension, a new beta, or the ability to buy?

I am really enjoying using Scapple every day now and look forward to buying a copy when it comes out of beta.

Best regards,

Another vote for extending the beta if needed. This is an excellent app so of course I’ve already started using it for a serious ongoing project where no other tool was giving me what I needed. That’s a compliment, obviously, but yes: If we can’t pay you now, please let us keep going until we can. :smiley:

Don’t worry, I won’t leave you without a working beta. There is another beta to come out before release, this one introducing “background shapes”.

All the best,
Keith

As a beneficiary of the Scapple Beta who hasn’t been able to contribute a software issue, I thought that the least I can do is to say that I think it is a fantastic tool.Because the programme doesn’t impose (or imply) hierarchies (which to me was always an issue with mind-mapping software), it gives the user an immense sense of freedom in structuring and linking. Although this is only a statement of the obvious to those who use it, the more complex benefits of the programme which are being developed through testing may also blind us to that bit of genius (the ability to assemble things in a non-hierarchical way) which is to my mind the essence of Scapple. So really, this is no more than to say ‘thank you’ for software that I value enormously.

All the best

This may have nothing to do with Scapple, but this is the first time I cannot open a zip file the usual way.
I had to force the built in utility out and resort to the unarchiver to open the file at last, and to tell the truth ( yes, I’m paranoid) I’m slightly worried about this. And I haven’t started the app yet.

dchw: Thanks for the testimonial on how well it has worked for you! I’ve consistently had the same problem with mind-map style programs for the same reason. My brain just needs a bit more freedom in the mixture to get ideas out of the realm of pure thought.

robin2022: Could you open up the Console application in your Applications/Utility folder and try extracting the .zip file again, then copy and paste any relevant system messages? One other thing to try: you mentioned that .zip has always worked before, but have you tried another .zip file recently? It is possible for Archive Utility to get jammed up (it does not clean up after itself very well).

robin2022: Could you open up the Console application in your Applications/Utility folder and try extracting the .zip file again, then copy and paste any relevant system messages? One other thing to try: you mentioned that .zip has always worked before, but have you tried another .zip file recently? It is possible for Archive Utility to get jammed up (it does not clean up after itself very well).
[/quote]
You are correct, the utility presently cannot open any zip file, and the frisbee wheel keeps turning. I tried the console as you requested, but I am completely unable to spot out which part is relevant.

Hi,

The beta version of Scapple is proving to be incredibly useful - thanks for a simple yet effective piece of software that just does the job, well, and without fuss. Really excellent.

I have no bugs to report - just a question (and apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere): we’re coming to the end of the beta version (28th Feb). I’m looking forward to buying a license but I’ve not seen any mention of a final version yet. What’s the plan just now? Will the beta license be extended or will a full version be released at the end of the month?

I’m only asking as this software is proving so very useful to me that I’d hate so see it become inaccessible after the 28th!

Many thanks.

I just found another great new Scapple use. I have been looking (Googling) everywhere for good timeline software to help planning which scenes happen when.

Reading about and testing a number of miserable programs and some good ones just frustrated me.

Even the best ones were too restrictive, imposed their way of doing things, and/or required too much detail. Worst of all, they were ‘one thing more’ – distraction instead of help.

Enter Scapple. Blindingly simple once it occurred to me. I begin each event note with the year it takes place. Since my dependent events already had arrow connections this gave me the only additional info I needed. I can drag the notes into as precise a timeline as I need to help me write.

Kudos to Scapple!

Here is a thread on Apple’s forum that may be of help:

discussions.apple.com/thread/43 … 0&tstart=0

Short version: it looks like most people had success by repairing permissions and then rebooting the computer. It appears both steps are necessary.

Thank you ! It did work… (though only the second time)

I have the latest Scrivener and Scapple betas and try to drag Scapple notes into Scrivener - but it doesn’t work. I can’t drag one or more notes into the binder, whatever folder I try, also I cannot drag the notes into a free form cork board. I know that this was possible in earlier Betas. What do I do wrong? What is the trick?

Cheers,
Mats

The internal dragging formats have changed to allow for the introduction of background shapes in Scapple, so you will have to wait for the next update of Scrivener to get this working again (out later this week).

Pity if the window dressing gets in the way of core functionality. But if you can fix it within a few days, who am I to complain. Completely in love with Scapple anyhow. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Mats