Windows 1.5.3.0 Update Released 5th Feb 2013

Can you provide an update download link that lets me update manually? My update fails at around 43% of the download, on each of three separate tries. They built-in download isn’t refreshing itself automatically. It just times out and leaves you with nothing. It’s maddening.

Let me download it from my browser or FTP utility, and that way I’ll get the entire file down before some network glitch wipes me out.

You can download the 1.5.3 installer from the main page of the website; here’s a direct link. You can just install that over your existing copy, though I recommend uninstalling first for a cleaner update.

Thanks! That did the trick!

(I didn’t see such a link when I went to the site. Google glasses help me now!)

Hey Guys,

I just discovered the new shortcut for “Learn Spelling”. Thank you so, so much for this!! :slight_smile:

Sarah

since the update, I’ve noticed that everytime I try to copy or paste anything into or out of a document, the entire application closes. Help?

I do a lot of remote writing and need to be able to put stuff in when I’ve been working on Drive or someplace.

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris–This sounds like a compatibility issue; some other users have experienced it also. If you’re running Constant Guard by XFINITY or another antikeylogger sort of program that intercepts keyboard input (sometimes installed as part of other security software), try disabling it or whitelisting Scrivener.

Constant guard managed to find its way onto my machine- and I haven’t bothered to take it off yet. Now I’ll have to do so.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. You guys really have a great product value going- an excellent customer service makes it all the better!

cmm

I am delighted to see that the new release supports mindmap imports from Freemind.
I tend to use Freeplane rather than Freemind for mindmaps; Freeplane is a branch off from Freemind and uses the same file extension (.mm). Does anyone know if Freeplane mindmaps can also be imported into / exported from the new Scrivener?
Thank you!

Yes Scrivener recognises Freeplane as I’ve used it with Scrivener. Fantastic to use them together.

Yes Scrivener recognises Freeplane as I’ve used it with Scrivener. Fantastic to use them together.

I just registered.

I have version 1.0.3. In Help/Check for updates I find that there is a new version 1.5.3.0. I click on Update.

The progress bar works its way to 99%, then I get a system error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
abnormal program termination

I tries it twice with the same error.

Um Windows XP, SP3, and I also have the Visual Studio Dev Suite installed, Version 6.

OH yeah! That’s an easy one to fix. You need the C++ library from microsoft:

microsoft.com/en-us/download … px?id=5555

Note you’ll need the 2010 one, not the 2008 like the REadme says.

Maybe easy, but it did not work. Same error in the same place.

I downloaded the installer manually, ran it, and now I have the updated version.

Hello!

I want this update, but when I select check for updates, it says I’m not online. (Which, clearly, I am.)

Suggestions?

Hi Thrash,

You can download the installer manually from the trial page of the website and run that to get up to date with 1.5.7. Although you’ll probably be fine just installing over your current copy (so long as Scrivener is closed), since you’re probably a couple versions behind, I suggest uninstalling your current version first to get a fresh upgrade; doing so will not affect your existing projects, which are saved externally to the program (in your Documents folder by default, though you may have chosen another location when creating the project). Before uninstalling you may however want to save your program preferences, which you can do from the Manage button menu in Tools > Options; after reinstalling, just return here to load them again.

Anyword on if/when the windows version will be able to Sync as the Mac version does?

Hello. I am finally getting around to updating. When I go to ‘check for updates’ I get a message that there is no active internet connection, but that is not the case. The machine is clearly on line.

I am running version 1.2.1.0, which I believe was the original install when I made the purchase. In other words, I have never updated before this attempt.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I get that, too…you’ll have to go to the site, download the most recent one, and update manually. It’s an issue that still seems to affect some people. You wouldn’t happen to be using WINE, would you? :slight_smile:

Only at dinner. Usually a Chardonnay :smiley: .