SCRIVENER FOR LINUX 1.5.3.1 BETA RELEASED (*LATEST*)

‘Paste and match style’ doesn’t work.
It always pastes the html version of the clipboard, not a plain text version, which is what I want. This is a blocker issue for me too.

sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scrivener-1.5.3.1-beta.deb

I’ve been using an earlier beta on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

I installed the latest beta 1.5.3.1 beta from link above in this thread … but Scrivener does not now launch …

I see the old message which I’ve seen on earlier versions …

How can I get this latest beta to work?

Any crash logs you would you like to peruse?

[Later edit]

I ran this command to check if libQtDBus.so.4 was installed in scrivener/lib … (it was missing in earlier beta versions) …

$ locate libQtDBus.so.4
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDBus.so.4
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDBus.so.4.8
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDBus.so.4.8.1
/usr/share/scrivener/lib/libQtDBus.so.4
/usr/share/scrivener/lib/libQtDBus.so.4.8
/usr/share/scrivener/lib/libQtDBus.so.4.8.1

[and a later edit … ]

I manually removed scrivener installation files from /usr/share/scrivener …

Next I tried installing with GDebi Package Installer instead of through Ubuntu Software Centre

Again I get this error …

The crash report gives this clue … Stacktrace Top

There is a fuller crash report available in …
/var/crash/_usr_share_scrivener_bin_Scrivener.1000.crash

As a last resort I tried copying the entire set of libQt… library files
into: /usr/share/scrivener/lib/
overwriting scrivener library files …

but that doesn’t work and scrivener does not launch.

So I’m stuck and I’ll have to wait for a response on getting 1.5.3.1 working on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

In troubleshooting it might be useful to have a list of dependencies.

I am using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon

I had to install ia32libs, or else it wouldn’t launch.

And it looks like wndows 95.

Maybe it is because of Cinnamon?

This might help the linux developer to debug why scrivener does not run on ubuntu 12.04.
After installing 1.5.3.1-beta.deb … I ran this command …

sudo strace scrivener

and the strace output shows many cases of “no such file or directory”

~/.kde/lib
~/.kde/lib/kde4/plugins/
~/.kde/lib/kde4/
/etc/kde4rc
~/.kde/share/config/Scrivenerrc
/usr/share/scrivener/share
/usr/share/kde4/config/kdeglobals
/etc/kde4/Scrivenerrc
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/…/lib/libnsl.so.1
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/…/lib/libnss_nis.so.2
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/…/lib/libnss_files.so.2
/etc/ld.so.nohwcap
/etc/qtcurvestylerc

"cannot mix incompatible Qt library … "

Is there a list of linux distro versions this beta been tested on?

I can post or email the fuller crash report if required.

$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i scrivener-1.5.3.1-beta.deb (Reading database ... 350659 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace scrivener:i386 1.5.3.1 (using scrivener-1.5.3.1-beta.deb) ... Unpacking replacement scrivener:i386 ... Setting up scrivener:i386 (1.5.3.1) ... Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ... Processing triggers for menu ... In file "/usr/share/menu/outrec", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 4: ?package(outrec):needs="X11" section "Applications/Sound" title="outRec" command="/usr/bin/outrec.gambas" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/outrec.png" ^ Expected: "=" Skipping file because of errors... $

I get a different error, also on 12.04 (ubuntu-studio) - previous beta installed fine…however despite the error message Scrivener works! Thanks, great software - now you have me hooked I’ll have to (happily) buy a license once the Linux beta expires…

I tried installing with --force-architecture flag set …

sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i ~/Desktop/scrivener-1.5.3.1-beta.deb

but still see this annoying incompatibility error …

To compare our Ubuntu 12.04 libraries can I ask you to run this command …

sudo locate /usr/lib/*4.8.1

to search for installed Qt libraries which are incompatible with scrivener-1.5.3.1

Here is my output … which clashes with scrivener’s local library in /usr/share/scrivener/lib … (which are all version 4.8.0)

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt3Support.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCLucene.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDBus.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDeclarative.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDesigner.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtDesignerComponents.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtHelp.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtNetwork.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtOpenGL.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtScript.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtScriptTools.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtSql.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtSvg.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtTest.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtXml.so.4.8.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtXmlPatterns.so.4.8.1

It may be that I’ve got a later version of Qt libraries due to installing Qt Designer as an experiment.

I may have to revert to an earlier copy of /usr/lib/ in Ubuntu 12.04.

Just installed on a crappy old laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 long term release.

I’ve not run the software through a large number of tests but the installation was fast and problem free, I was able to navigate around in and mess with the tutorial file, and compile it into various outputs.

I’ve only just started using Scrivener (on an iMac). For long term commitment to the software in a wide range of uses for me, Linux support is pretty important. Clearly, this release is an excellent proof of concept.

What I’m probably really going to do is to hook up certain projects to text files that will reside in a dropbox folder and use the usual method of editing them (emacs) when using my Linux system. (I think I can do that.)

In any event, rarely does one see a piece of software this complex appear across platform this way and work this well. For those of you who have had trouble with the installs, I wish you the best of luck. If you are using Ubuntu, but not the most current long term release (i.e. if you are using an old version or a bleeding edge version) you may want to change that.

I’m running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit … the most stable release … and experiencing Qt library incompatibility

I suggest that Scrivener should show any library dependencies before installation.
The Scrivener windows version does runs in Wine (although not offering a pleasing GUI).

For those having issues on Ubuntu, make sure you have the latest wine installed.

Open a terminal and enter the following command Sudo apt-get install wine let it run through the install. Now follow the next few simple steps to get Scrivener working.

1. Download the Scrivener.tar file NOT the .deb file.
  2. Open the Downloads (or wherever you have downloaded it to) folder and right click the Scrivener.tar file and select EXTRACT HERE. You should now have a folder called SCRIVENER.
  3. Open the SCRIVENER folder and then click into the BIN folder, inside here you will find the Scrivener.exe It might just say Scrivener it is a purple diamond shaped Icon. :wink:
  4. Right click on the Scrivener icon and select MAKE LINK. A link to Scrivener icon will appear.
  5. Now copy this link to the desktop. Double click on link and it opens Scrivener.

Enjoy 8)

Just FYI, you do need the 2010 C++ redistributable. It’s easily available via winetricks. (Corefonts and font smoothing will also make things look better.)

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how can I remove Scrivener from my Ubuntu 12.10 system?
Thanks.
O

I installed the program on Kubuntu 12.10. There is a bouncing icon indicating the program is starting, then a new entry on the taskbar showing running programs. After about a minute, this entry disappears. I never get a splash screen or any error message. The program simply won’t start.

Try installing ia32-libs

Check if there is MultiArch support also. It is even better than ia32 (which will be deprecated if MultiArch is enabled anyway)

Tried both of these; the first did not install, the second yielded the same results:

$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘ia32-libs’ has no installation candidate

$ sudo apt-get install MultiArch
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package MultiArch

$ dpkg --add-architecture i386
dpkg: error: unable to create new file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/arch-new’: Permission denied
mok@algol:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
mok@algol:~$ sudo apt-get update

Is Scrivener for Linux 64 bit? I’m already running a 32 bit Linux/Kubuntu installation. So, ialibs-32 supposedly is already there?

Also tried this (which is supposed to install the ia32 library) but it yielded the same result: bouncing min-icon, minimized to tray, then nothing. No splash screen or welcome page.

sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7-multilib

Does anyone know what the installation path for the executable is under Ubuntu/Kubuntu? I still can’t get this program running.