Best keyboard and monitor?

Ti
Timotheus
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:44 am Post

The Celesta is indeed beautiful; but before considering buying it, I would like to read some more thorough reviews. The information on the Celesta website is rather minimal.

And the Optimus Maximus? At all events: a brilliantly chose name. I hope it will reveal itself to be indeed Optimus in daily use; but the price is surely Maximus!
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7 (13.5)

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 am Post

Well, I think I have made up my mind.

Shortly, I think I will be purchasing the Gateway 24" from Tesco:

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/ ... 129946.jpg

If someone could confirm that the Gateway definitely uses the same screen as the Apple Cinema displays, I would be very grateful.

And the MacAlly IceKey from MacHeaven.co.uk:

http://www.macheaven.co.uk/?page=proddetail&prod=1073

As for the mouse - I may carry on with my standard Apple USB for now, as I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Best,
Keith

So
Soundnfury

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 pm Post

KB wrote:If someone could confirm that the Gateway definitely uses the same screen as the Apple Cinema displays, I would be very grateful.

It may not mean anything (if they measure things differently), but the Gateway is a 24" display and the Apple is 23". I know some of the rumor sites talked about Apple's bumping it to 24" a while back (although I can't find the link, so maybe I'm misremembering.), which would imply a difference.

Nonetheless, people seem to like the Gateways.

--rob

lenf

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 pm Post

KB wrote:If someone could confirm that the Gateway definitely uses the same screen as the Apple Cinema displays, I would be very grateful.

Just on specs, since the Gateway pixel pitch is .270mm, and the Apple is .258mm, and pixel pitch is a hardware function, I think you can know that they don't use the same screen.

Also, the contrast spec on the Gateway is about double that of the Apple. High contrast can be great if done well, as on several high end LCDs used in pre-press situations. Otherwise, it's just glare.

lenf

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Well, if you want to get into the realm of luxury keyboards, The Optimus Maximus is not out yet, but looks to be the ultimate keyboard for any setup or language. Instead of printing what a key does onto the key, each one has a tiny high resolution display which can be programmed.

I love the concept and design of the Optimus, but I suppose the reason I'd have a hard time buying one is the same reason I tolerate the ugly color of the Avant Prime. I type at a steady 100wpm, and never look at the keyboard, so the style would just be wasted.

On the other hand, it would be fun to figure out a way to sync the key displays so odd billboards of Japanese women selling drinks, ala Bladerunner, could scroll across the keyboard as you type... :)

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm Post

Thanks... I now realise that I read AmberV's earlier post wrong - I thought she had said that the Gateway, like the Dell, used the same screen technology as the Apple, but she never said any such thing. :)

Oh well... Still, I'm definitely tempted by the Gateway. I just *love* the idea of a portrait mode, but the Dell is extortionate.

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 pm Post

I'd go for it, especially if there is a good return policy in place. Many of the slight differences between these monitors are really only of interest to gamers and professional artists. Going by the quality of the display alone, they are going to be virtually identical to all but the most pedantic. The swivel mount and connection features are what really set them apart. Sure, you can get a wall-mount swivel arm for the Apple, but those are not cheap.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bl
bluloo

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:16 am Post

I may be a bit late to the party here but...

I have two Dells. A 24" and a 20", both of which do portrait modes. I have only used portrait mode once for document work and it was a bit too strange for me. I also normally have a web browser open so I would have to switch back to landscape mode anyhow.
I like the monitors and would not fork out the dough for a Cinema display again. I had an Apple 20" a few years ago and didn't see much difference in their quality, versus similar monitors.

I have had two MacAlly Icekeys for several years now and I would not give them up. I had to exchange one as a defective unit but I've had no other issues and I do really like the kbd. The only improvement for me would be wireless.

I use a Logitech Laser MX1000 mouse. The eight buttons are all programed and I absolutely love it.

Good luck in your choices.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:09 pm Post

Well, I've ordered myself the Gateway and the IcePro. Thanks all. :)

I may get another mouse after all, though, so I'll take another look at the LogiTech stuff.

Ne
NeilCross

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 am Post

Late last year, I began to suffer some pretty bad RSI. It's one of those joke conditions (like lower back pain) which is faintly humorous until it visits you.

Things got so bad, I began to really worry. Anyway, long story short: I spent money on decent equipment (trackball mice, compact keyboards) that didn't help.

I despaired. I ended up with a Macally Icekey, which is excellent, and a MICROSOFT NATURAL WIRELESS LASER MOUSE.

It's a weird shape. It sits cupped in your hand like a cricket ball. It takes a few hours to get used to that - but it cured my RSI, almost at a stroke.

Best mouse I ever used.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse ... px?pid=086

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:48 pm Post

Woah. That looks like one of the new (Michael Bay) Transformers. :)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:33 pm Post

Actually, I'm quite liking the sound of the MS Natural Mouse 6000 thingy, despite (or maybe because of the fact) that it looks like a Transformer. After so long hunched over a computer I have goodness-knows-how-many muscular-skeletal issues (just ask my chiropractor), so I like the idea of saving my wrist, at least.

Just one question: by "laser", does that mean the same as optical? I don't want to have to use a mouse mat (so 90s).

Okay, two questions: what is the battery life like? I was hoping for a USB mouse, really, as I'm the sort of person who will completely forget to buy any batteries, realise that they've run dead, open my laptop and use the pad, intend to buy batteries for my mouse, but never get around to it and thus never use the mouse ever again.

Thanks!

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:04 pm Post

I can answer the laser bit, as I have that on my mouse. It's effectively just like optical, but scans better on most surfaces and has a much smoother response. I've noticed that it seems to not take to some surfaces as well as optical does, and vice versa; but the pointing movement is definitely a lot more precise and smooth in my opinion.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ne
NeilCross

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:29 am Post

Battery life is good - some months now.

The only problem I have with this mouse is, it occasionally shrieks that the wireless signal is weak - and might I consider moving the base unit from inside its lead-lined box? The signal, however, is always perfectly strong and after I click on GO AWAY, the mouse calms down for another month or so.

Incidentally, I have the same problem with battery-operated doo-dads. What I did, I bit the bullet and bought a handful of rechargeable batteries (and a charger). I keep it plugged in under my desk. And in a little pot on my shelf I have an assembly of ready-charged triple A's.

Swapping them over is quick and efficient, and I get to fantasise that I'm disassembling a sniper's rifle.

Sean Coffee

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:45 am Post

FYI for this thread: I posted my thoughts on the Matias Tactile Pro 2 here.