Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Very late to the Scapple party. I considered falling to my knees, sobbing with joy, when I saw what this was about. Tried mindmapping, detested it, but have long wanted a digital napkin that I could throw things at and then roughly formalise if necessary. And then make practical use of it. And here 'tis. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words - glad you like it!

Hello - sorry, I can’t see how to create a link to a file

“Clicking on file links now opens the file rather than showing it in the Finder.”

OK - sorry, just seen how to do it.

I love it!

I think you should shoot for a 12/21 release date and charge $12.21 for it. :slight_smile:

A big thanks to you Keith and your team for creating Scapple. I’m delighted someone finally came up with software that will translate these random ideas coursing through my head into a useable format. I’ll be first in “line” to buy it around December.

As for an icon suggestion, I think it should be a yellow pencil,

with the word “Scapple” scribbled under the point, but reoriented like so:

:slight_smile:
-rmm

I’m very happy to find exactly what app I’ve been finding!!

1. I hope I could add a note onto the connection lines like below.
    Mac----------“apps”-----------Scrivener

2. And hope there’s a MENU BAR at the top.

Thanks. waiting for the official launch…

Keith you have done it again, another game changing writing tool for those of us who believe the Mac is still the best writing tool. Elegance, simplicity, and A free form collector of thoughts and ideas.

THANK YOU…

Hi folks,
It is really an awesome app with great potential! I’m using it right now to plan the general theme of the next chapter of my dissertation. It would be really great if there was a way to draw a circle around a cluster of ideas!

Gruff and quirky or not Kevin (not Keith): you’re a genius (some times, e.g., with Scapple), and when you have fully integrated Scrivener with Endnote or Papers for formatting, I will suggest you for Nobel’s peace prize :smiley: !

I am really loving it and will definitely be buying the full version. I’m a recent convert to Scrivener and, as good as it is, I think its weakest area is in the idea-creation part - if you mangled it to be better you’d lose what is so good about it. Scapple looks like filling that gap really well.

I’ve got some alpha reader feedback from my latest story back and I’m having to tear it apart. I’m using Scapple as a trial for it and I’ve blogged about it here -
http://edjamesauthor.com/2012/11/11/whisky-in-the-jar-back-to-square-one/

I still think there’s a use for Mindmap programs - I recently used MindNode Pro to create the outline for my novel and imported using the OPML link. While Scapple is freeform, Mindnode is rigid - both have very strong use cases.

One thing I’d say is that I’m a keyboard only fiend - I hate using mice as they slow me down - and Scapple could learn a lot from the Mindnode flexibility. Actually, having consistency across all three would be good for me (and I know you only produce two of them), but things like ESC to edit, ENTER to create, etc, would be good.

Keep up the great work - I’ll definitely be buying it.

– Ed

hi Kevin

Scapple looks great. It may be the non-mind mapping mind mapping tool I’ve been looking for if you know what I mean.

Two questions:

First, is there a way, or could you add a way, to have two separate unidirectional arrows between two different notes? So in addition to having:

A <—> B

which expresses a reciprocal relationship between A and B, eg, they are friends, I am looking for:

<----
A B
---->

This is something really I want and I haven’t seen in any diagramming tool. It might express for example that A is a customer of B and B competes with A.

Second, how do I select an existing link, whether it’s to delete it, or change the type or whatever?

Thanks!

Yes, you just need to Opt-drag in both directions to make a dual-linked set.

Hi, the link to the beta zip file isn’t working for me. It downloads OK, but then the extraction of the zip hangs.

Potential bug - could just be me.

Trying to add connected nodes to an already existing node using the keyboard shortcuts, e.g. SHIFT-CMD-DOWN or SHIFT-CMD-ALT-DOWN for the arrow flavour, and nothing is happening. It works using the menu, but like my post above says, I’m a keyboard boy.

– Ed

Hi,

The shortcuts use the Control key, not Shift - so it’s Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-Down or Ctrl-Cmd-Down.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

This is brilliant! This is close to how I use a piece of paper to sketch ideas.

Some comments:
I have not tested the export to OPML but trust it will be robust.
I use a four-color pen in real life and would like some equivalent capability on Scapple.
I’m not a fan of the dotted line – a line without arrows would be fine with me.
Notes can get obscured by other notes – a visual cue indicating something is underneath would be nice.
I’ll join the chorus singing for an iPad version.

Beyond these comments, it does need a bit of polish. But if you released Scapple today, as is, I’d buy it immediately, trusting that it will improve just as Scrivener has.

Congrats on a wonderfully done program! I am quite partial to this style of “mapping” out thoughts and writing and I wish there were more programs like it. I know you said it’s essentially feature-complete, but one feature that would make this program so much more useful to me would be the ability to “drill down” into any given note and have a new canvas space (like having a new document). (That is, the way Tinderbox operates.) This feature (combined with the infinitely large canvas you already have) would make it scale basically indefinitely. If it could do that I think I would use this program for writing just about everything. The only time I end up really using Scrivener is when there is almost no more thinking to be done about creating content. Otherwise it is still just too structured for me. But Scapple is absolutely perfect for me. It’s just that it wouldn’t scale for larger projects if I can’t drill down into a given note a la Tinderbox. If that were the case I think the applications for this program would expand greatly. For example, you could use one document for class notes. Or even one document for school in general or simply for everything. That is how I use Tinderbox. I would love if Scapple could something similar in combination with the strengths it already has. Keep up the good work!

Would really like to see a tiny bit more control over the style of the line. It does not make sense to me–at all–that the only way I can have a solid line is by indicating directionality. I realize this software is meant to reflect your needs and workflow, but for my purposes, the strength (dotted versus solid, and maybe double solid or some other heavier line) or type (via color coding for instance) of connections is much more meaningful than directionality, which I use, but only sparingly. What I’m left with is a lot of dotted lines that look like equally weak connections to me. I realize introducing additional line types would undermine the either/or simplicity of dotted vs. solid, but you already do that by allowing directionality. We already have this control over notes, via shape, color, etc., so I’m not sure I get why it’s not available for lines. This is the only substantive way I can imagine this product being improved though.

Edit: I realize this may sound a bit like asking Scapple to move too much in the direction of mind mapping, which I didn’t intend (hence: “tiny bit more control”). I’d be 80% satisfied with just the addition of a solid, non-directional line.

Firstly thank you for this wonderful program.
Just a quick idea for a feature: would it be possible to add linked scrap pads.

This could simply be implemented via tabs, or less so by system links to other pads. These links could fire the opening of pads by clicking on set notes or an icon.

Thank you once again.

Josh