Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Just check the forum for updates for beta-testing. Check for Updates won’t work until the final version goes live.

Thanks, I’ve worked around this issue for the next beta.

Shape backgrounds can’t be transparent (for a start, filling the shapes is necessary for shadows, but it would also result in drawing text over text which would look bad). You could just set the background colour to the same as the background colour of the note behind it, though. That said, Scapple really isn’t designed to support grouping notes, so any workaround you use for that is going to be imperfect - it’s just something that falls out of Scapple’s scope.

All the best,
Keith

One thing I would like to see is the ability to set the default document size and zoom level.

A nice little app, which dare I say it would lend itself nicely to an iPad version… :smiley:

It probably would, but it’s way too early to think about such things. It has to make enough money to fund a developer first, and even then, I designed this for the Mac, so let’s enjoy it on the platform for which it was designed first. :slight_smile:

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I do agree Keith and my comment was in no way an attempt to get a bandwagon started in favour of an iPad version. The reason was that I’ve been using iThoughtsHD - an iPad Mind-Map app - which, whilst very good drew my attention to the differences between it and Scapple.

Both have their place, but to my mind the simplicity of Scapple would make it ideal for use on an iPad.

Thanks for all your hard work Keith and for your ready engagement with your growing band of users :smiley:

Thanks for the kind words, Tacitus, and for your ongoing support of L&L over the years - much appreciated.

It would be nice if we could do an iPad version eventually, but at the moment we have no one to do it, with all our resources focussed elsewhere and with Scapple not even out yet, so that it hasn’t earned us a penny just yet. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Been away for awhile and just check in to the forums every once in awhile. I just wanted to post that Scapple is such a fantastic idea. Really liking the freeform outlining and brainstorming capabilities it provides.

Build 2699 uploaded.

Peer,

As a workaround, you can simply send the surrounding shape to back after editing.
Thank you for pointing toward this solution for surroundung shapes. I make extensive use of them on paper.

Paolo

i haven’t had time to read all the responses so forgive me if my requests are redundant …

i’d love a ‘format painter’ to be able to copy formatting from one note to another

i’d love the ability to rotate notes freely (just like in the scratch map in help)

the ‘notes tab’ in the inspector doesn’t quite match the menu - be great if the arrows were in the inspector for example plus all other options

be great if there were a “format note style” tab in the inspector to make it easy to change the bubble style with one click

the alignment keyboard shortcuts are a pain - could they be the same as so many other programs
cmd + l = align left and cmd + r = align right
cmd + e = center
cmd + k = link …. and so on

the font oh the font: it would be so cool to have a selection of handwritten fonts to choose from? or one really really great one …

Which applications use those shortcuts?

This is already there - Format > Note Style > Copy/Paste Note Style (using the standard Mac copy/paste style keyboard shortcuts, opt-cmd-C and opt-cmd-V).

This is beyond Scapple’s scope, sorry!

The inspector is for styling notes. You can’t select arrows, so it would make no sense for the inspector to have anything pertaining to arrows in there. And you change the appearance of arrows simply by dragging and dropping using the Option or Command keys, or by using the ctrl-click menu. The main thing to remember is that Scapple is intended to be a simple as possible.

Styles are already available via Format > Note Style and via the ctrl-click contextual menu. Styles are just “painted” on, so they wouldn’t make much sense in the inspector. As they are one-shot, there would be nothing to display in the inspector, so they are better left in the menus.

The alignment shortcuts are the standard Mac OS X shortcuts for text alignment, so it would make little sense to change them. I’m not sure which programs use the keyboard shortcuts you suggest, but cmd-R is traditionally “Show Ruler”, cmd-E is traditionally “Use Selection for Find” (as it is in Scapple), and so on. Changing the shortcuts would be very frustrating for anyone used to standard Mac keyboard mappings.

You can choose any font available on your Mac via the “Documents” pane of the inspector.

All the best,
Keith

Seems to be a bug where instead of rubber banding you end up moving some pair of nodes…I imagine you’ll find this yourself in regular use. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t - you can repeat the same mousedown and move and sometimes you’re rubberbanding sometimes you’re moving two nodes connected by a line. It looks as if there was some code in there to allow you to select and move a line with it’s nodes…

BTW it might make sense to allow “Align center” because centered text node look misaligned when you align them left or right.

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Rubberbanding is when you scroll to the edge of the screen with a trackpad and it bounces back, but I don’t think that’s what you mean. Do you mean something to do with connections? Would you mind explaining a little more what the problem is?

As for dragging notes by their lines, yes, you can do this - click and drag the line between two notes to drag the connected notes.

Also, “Align Center” is already in there, available via the inspector and via the Format menu - make sure you are using the latest beta. (EDIT: Wait, I think you mean in the Notes > Align menu as opposed to text alignment. Yes, that might be a nice idea, and I’ve added it to the list.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Using Build 2699 - i allowed install and relaunch so that should be up to date, no?

By rubberbanding i meant if i mousedown and drag to form a rubberbanded selection rectangle (to select a group of nodes).

I see what you mean you can drag a line, hadn’t realized that could be done before for some reason. However, what i’m referring to is a “click and drag rectangle” selection which definitely DOES NOT commence with a click on a line - in fact it usually seems to select a line that isn’t even the nearest to the mouse pointer at the start of the click and drag…

Re center align, yes, i did mean in the notes align menu, sorry if i wasn’t clear, glad to hear it’s a useful suggestion.

cheers, A

Odd behaviour:
If you name a new note “New Note” (either by keeping the default name “New Note” or by typing it letter by letter) the note doesn’t change its size to fit the title as it does with any other name. (You don’t get this odd behaviour if you rename an old note “New Note”.)

Regards,
Peer

The note only gets auto-sized if its content has changed; otherwise, any time you double-clicked a note or ran Find, the note would shrink back to minimum width. So, intentional behaviour.

Just heard about Scapple (from James Fallows) and like what I see.

The first thing I notice is that Align really should have two more options, Center Vertically and Center Horizonally.

The other thing I would really like is the ability to indent within a note. I make my notes in indented form, constantly indenting and outdenting as I nest things. A Tab does not suffice because some text requires more than one line.

Thanks, Bob

Just discovered the way the zoom works. I assumed it would allow one to zoom out and see a very large surface, but there seems to be no scrolling. Scapple would be much improved by being able to zoom out to see an overview of a large diagram and then zoom into a specific area and then scroll around it.

-Bob

Never mind. I see you just have to move stuff away from the origin to expand the surface.

-Bob