Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Hi all, a new beta of Scapple is now available for download:

[1.0 is now available from literatureandlatte.com/scapple.php]

Important Note: This is a release candidate - there will be no significant changes now before 1.0, excepting for bug-fixes and the inclusion of the manual and QuickStart guide.

(Note, before downloading, please take a moment to read through the “Major Changes” list below, as there are some important changes to behaviour in this build.)

BETA TESTING HAS NOW ENDED. Please download Scapple from the product page:

literatureandlatte.com/scapple.php

Changes Since Last Beta

• Fixed bug whereby Copy Note Style would throw an exception.
  • Fixed bug whereby “Connect” would not remove arrow connections between selected notes.
  • Hopefully fixed bug whereby arrows between horizontally centred notes that were close together might not be drawn.
  • Fixed bug whereby magnetic shapes would drag along any notes above them that where left-aligned with any notes inside them.
  • Fixed bug whereby Opt-clicking on non-magnetic shapes would not select overlapping notes.
  • Zooming now zooms into or out of the centre of the view.
  • Added an option to print headers and footers.
  • Added a “Choose Texture…” button to the “Document” pane of the inspector, allowing users to set a background image texture rather than a flat colour. (Note that only tiling textures are supported, not full-sized images.)
  • Added MathType support (if MathType is installed on your system when Scapple launches, “Insert MathType Equation…” will appear in the Edit menu).
  • Got rid of the “Connections point to” option from the “Document” pane of the inspector, as this was just an experiment for the beta period and I was never happy with this option.
  • Added the ability to indent notes (hit Tab to indent notes, Opt-Tab to de-dent notes). Also added an “Indent” submenu to the “Format” menu.
  • Some changes to the internal mechanics of drawing text have been made in order to accommodate the indent code. This means that text is rendered slightly differently or slightly offset to how it was in previous builds. To avoid problems with stacks and alignment in existing documents, any .scap files created in previous versions of Scapple will still use legacy drawing. New documents will use the new drawing methods. The only noticeable effects of this difference will be: (1) If you drag a stack from a document using legacy drawing to one using the newer methods, or vice versa, the stack will not be spaced correctly and so will not be treated as a stack in destination document. (2) When hitting tab in empty notes in legacy documents, nothing will seem to happen - you won’t see the indent until you start typing. This is because a problem with the legacy drawing methods, which is a major reason for switching to the different drawing routines.
  • “Connect” now only connects the first selected note to subsequently-selected notes rather than connecting all together. A new menu item, “Connect All”, has been added, which does what “Connect” used to do.
  • Added “Show/Hide Footer Bar” to the View menu.
  • Hopefully fixed ongoing bug with Quick Look previews not working on Snow Leopard (and causing Quick Look to crash).
  • Fixed bug that could cause notes to “drift” when resized in both directions with the Option key held down.

Changes Since First Beta
MAJOR CHANGE: Command-dragging a note onto another note now creates an arrow from the dropped note to the target note (instead of Option-dragging).

• Option-dragging a note onto another note now creates an arrow from the target note to the dropped note. (Hold down both Command and Option when dropping to create a line with arrows pointing in both directions).
  • When bold or italic is added to a short note, the note now expands in width to accommodate the text rather than wrapping.
  • The minimum note width has been reduced.
  • Added Edit > Select Connected Clusters. This selects all notes in the clusters of which the currently-selected notes are a part.
  • Fixed a bug whereby undo could cause notes below an edited note in a stack not to be moved back to the correct position.
  • Added Notes > Distribute. This causes selected notes (three or more) to be spaced evenly, either horizontally or vertically.
  • Added “Default Note Style” to the Apply Note Style menu, for resetting the format to the default.
  • Added an option for adding shadows to notes.
  • Fixed bug whereby spelling suggestions were greyed out.
  • Fixed bug whereby the “Automatically check for updates” text was cut off in the preferences.
  • Added “Return creates new notes” preference.
  • Added the ability to move notes with the keyboard. To do so, hit “m” (or select “Arrow Keys Move Notes” from the Edit menu). This toggles “Movement Mode” on. When this mode is on (you can tell if it is on by the cross with arrows that appears on the left of the footer bar), hitting the arrow keys will nudge selected notes. Hold down shift to increase the distance they move. Hit “m” again to return to Selection Mode.
  • Selection mode has been improved - it can now cycle through all notes, not just notes in a stack (although if the selection is in a stack and you hit the up or down arrows, then the stack will still take precedence). The arrow keys now navigate by vertical or horizontal placement.
  • Fixed bug whereby applying a note style to a note being edited would reset the text to the pre-edited state.
  • Fixed bug whereby “Disconnect” wasn’t greyed out when the selected notes had no connections.
  • Fixed bug whereby PDF export would always use the default background colour.
  • Improved note styles so that you can now choose which elements get overridden by styles, allowing a more additive approach.
  • Added options to set the border style of notes - you can now choose between standard rounded-rectangle borders, square borders, jagged borders and cloud borders.
  • Fixed bug whereby hitting Option-tab inside a note would create a list.
  • Editing now ends when you zoom in or out, to prevent an editor resizing bug.
  • Added “Insert Date and Time” option to note text editor contextual menu.
  • Added “Auto-Fit” to contextual and Notes menus.
  • Added alignment controls to the inspector and the Format menu.
  • Holding both Option and Command down while double-clicking to create a new note when there is a selection now creates a note with a two-way arrow connection; holding down Shift and Command creates a note pointing back towards the selected note.
  • Added an option to the Inspector to choose whether connections point to the centre of notes or to the edges. The latter is mainly useful if you have a Scapple map containing columns of notes that you want to point to each other.
  • You can now hold down the Option key while resizing notes to resize both edges equally.
  • Creating new connected notes above or to the left of notes that are right at the edge of the canvas now extends the canvas rather than resulting in overlapping notes.
  • You can now add new connected notes via the contextual menu.
  • Now, when you move an item out of a stack, the notes beneath it only move up automatically if the moved item has been moved away completely, so as to avoid overlap.
  • If “Return ends editing” is turned off, the Opt-return now ends editing.
  • You can now choose whether the “.txt” extension gets added to plain text exports.
  • When creating new connected notes via the menu or keyboard shortcuts, if you have already created a connected note a the same position, the new note will overlap it slightly rather than obscure it completely.
  • You can now add hyperlinks to text.
  • Clicking on an already-selected note now starts editing it (as long as it was the only selected note).
  • Improved hit-testing when double-clicking on or dragging lines.
  • Clicking on file links now opens the file rather than showing it in the Finder.
  • Fixed bug that caused Quick Look previews not to work.
  • Fixed bug whereby shadows drew strangely for clouds and jagged bordered notes with only one line of text.
  • Fixed bug whereby notes containing nothing but whitespace would be completely opened after a document had been closed and reopened.
  • Fixed bug that caused an exception to be thrown when using the Format menu without a selection.
  • Fixed bug that could cause an exception to be raised when creating new notes or performing certain other actions when the focus was in a blank note.
  • Added Align > Horizontal Centers and Vertical Centers.
  • Fixed bug whereby entering or exiting full screen mode while a note was being edited could cause the edited note to be resized in strange ways.
  • You can now determine the default text of new notes via the preferences.
  • Fixed bug whereby pasting text into a note would destroy links.
  • The commands for creating new connected notes are now disabled if the current note is being edited and is empty (since it will be deleted when editing ends).
  • Added “Make Same Width” command.
  • Replaced hit-testing code for detecting connecting line drags, which hopefully fixes bugs whereby drags started far away from a line could end up dragging the line.
  • QuickZoom now shows the entire canvas even if it requires going beyond the minimum zoom out setting.
  • Changed “Stack” keyboard shortcut to cmd-hyphen seeing as the previous shortcut proved difficult on international keyboards.
  • Pasted notes are now selected.
  • Pasted notes now overlap rather than being placed over the top of one another.
  • Added ability to create background shapes. These can have a “Magnetic” setting turned on, which causes them to move any overlapping notes when they are moved.
  • Added option to preferences to set the default note styles used for new projects.
  • Got rid of the “Page Setup” panel and placed all page setup controls in the “Print” panel.
  • You can now print across multiple pages.
  • When stacking a note already in the middle of a stack with other notes, the other notes are now added to the stack below the selected note and other notes in the stack are moved down to accommodate them.
  • Fixed bug that could cause exception when changing font size with focus in the text.
  • The shortcut keys are now more consistent: to create a dotted line connection, drag one note on another, or double-click to create a new note while holding down Command; to create an arrow from the old note to the new note, drag from one to the other holding down Option, or double-click to create a new note holding down option; to create a backward arrow, drag from one note to another or double-click to create a new note while holding down Option+Command; to create two arrows, drag from one note to another or double-click to create a new note while holding down Shift+Command.

2 things here.

First a bug where applying a value of more than 1 pixel to the border of a shape creates a mishmash between the border and the shadow. Only occures when there is 1 line of text.

Then an example of a surrounding shape, which many people here have asked for. If you could make the background of a shape transparant this method could be very usefull.

Scapple.png

Regards
Peer

When I run 0.9 (2110) and ask it to Check for Updates, it says I have the latest version.

Just sayin’ :open_mouth:

Just check the forum for updates for beta-testing. Check for Updates won’t work until the final version goes live.

Thanks, I’ve worked around this issue for the next beta.

Shape backgrounds can’t be transparent (for a start, filling the shapes is necessary for shadows, but it would also result in drawing text over text which would look bad). You could just set the background colour to the same as the background colour of the note behind it, though. That said, Scapple really isn’t designed to support grouping notes, so any workaround you use for that is going to be imperfect - it’s just something that falls out of Scapple’s scope.

All the best,
Keith

One thing I would like to see is the ability to set the default document size and zoom level.

A nice little app, which dare I say it would lend itself nicely to an iPad version… :smiley:

It probably would, but it’s way too early to think about such things. It has to make enough money to fund a developer first, and even then, I designed this for the Mac, so let’s enjoy it on the platform for which it was designed first. :slight_smile:

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I do agree Keith and my comment was in no way an attempt to get a bandwagon started in favour of an iPad version. The reason was that I’ve been using iThoughtsHD - an iPad Mind-Map app - which, whilst very good drew my attention to the differences between it and Scapple.

Both have their place, but to my mind the simplicity of Scapple would make it ideal for use on an iPad.

Thanks for all your hard work Keith and for your ready engagement with your growing band of users :smiley:

Thanks for the kind words, Tacitus, and for your ongoing support of L&L over the years - much appreciated.

It would be nice if we could do an iPad version eventually, but at the moment we have no one to do it, with all our resources focussed elsewhere and with Scapple not even out yet, so that it hasn’t earned us a penny just yet. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Been away for awhile and just check in to the forums every once in awhile. I just wanted to post that Scapple is such a fantastic idea. Really liking the freeform outlining and brainstorming capabilities it provides.

Build 2699 uploaded.

Peer,

As a workaround, you can simply send the surrounding shape to back after editing.
Thank you for pointing toward this solution for surroundung shapes. I make extensive use of them on paper.

Paolo

i haven’t had time to read all the responses so forgive me if my requests are redundant …

i’d love a ‘format painter’ to be able to copy formatting from one note to another

i’d love the ability to rotate notes freely (just like in the scratch map in help)

the ‘notes tab’ in the inspector doesn’t quite match the menu - be great if the arrows were in the inspector for example plus all other options

be great if there were a “format note style” tab in the inspector to make it easy to change the bubble style with one click

the alignment keyboard shortcuts are a pain - could they be the same as so many other programs
cmd + l = align left and cmd + r = align right
cmd + e = center
cmd + k = link …. and so on

the font oh the font: it would be so cool to have a selection of handwritten fonts to choose from? or one really really great one …

Which applications use those shortcuts?

This is already there - Format > Note Style > Copy/Paste Note Style (using the standard Mac copy/paste style keyboard shortcuts, opt-cmd-C and opt-cmd-V).

This is beyond Scapple’s scope, sorry!

The inspector is for styling notes. You can’t select arrows, so it would make no sense for the inspector to have anything pertaining to arrows in there. And you change the appearance of arrows simply by dragging and dropping using the Option or Command keys, or by using the ctrl-click menu. The main thing to remember is that Scapple is intended to be a simple as possible.

Styles are already available via Format > Note Style and via the ctrl-click contextual menu. Styles are just “painted” on, so they wouldn’t make much sense in the inspector. As they are one-shot, there would be nothing to display in the inspector, so they are better left in the menus.

The alignment shortcuts are the standard Mac OS X shortcuts for text alignment, so it would make little sense to change them. I’m not sure which programs use the keyboard shortcuts you suggest, but cmd-R is traditionally “Show Ruler”, cmd-E is traditionally “Use Selection for Find” (as it is in Scapple), and so on. Changing the shortcuts would be very frustrating for anyone used to standard Mac keyboard mappings.

You can choose any font available on your Mac via the “Documents” pane of the inspector.

All the best,
Keith

Seems to be a bug where instead of rubber banding you end up moving some pair of nodes…I imagine you’ll find this yourself in regular use. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t - you can repeat the same mousedown and move and sometimes you’re rubberbanding sometimes you’re moving two nodes connected by a line. It looks as if there was some code in there to allow you to select and move a line with it’s nodes…

BTW it might make sense to allow “Align center” because centered text node look misaligned when you align them left or right.

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Rubberbanding is when you scroll to the edge of the screen with a trackpad and it bounces back, but I don’t think that’s what you mean. Do you mean something to do with connections? Would you mind explaining a little more what the problem is?

As for dragging notes by their lines, yes, you can do this - click and drag the line between two notes to drag the connected notes.

Also, “Align Center” is already in there, available via the inspector and via the Format menu - make sure you are using the latest beta. (EDIT: Wait, I think you mean in the Notes > Align menu as opposed to text alignment. Yes, that might be a nice idea, and I’ve added it to the list.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Using Build 2699 - i allowed install and relaunch so that should be up to date, no?

By rubberbanding i meant if i mousedown and drag to form a rubberbanded selection rectangle (to select a group of nodes).

I see what you mean you can drag a line, hadn’t realized that could be done before for some reason. However, what i’m referring to is a “click and drag rectangle” selection which definitely DOES NOT commence with a click on a line - in fact it usually seems to select a line that isn’t even the nearest to the mouse pointer at the start of the click and drag…

Re center align, yes, i did mean in the notes align menu, sorry if i wasn’t clear, glad to hear it’s a useful suggestion.

cheers, A

Odd behaviour:
If you name a new note “New Note” (either by keeping the default name “New Note” or by typing it letter by letter) the note doesn’t change its size to fit the title as it does with any other name. (You don’t get this odd behaviour if you rename an old note “New Note”.)

Regards,
Peer

The note only gets auto-sized if its content has changed; otherwise, any time you double-clicked a note or ran Find, the note would shrink back to minimum width. So, intentional behaviour.