I wrote a NIAD...

User avatar
nom
Posts: 1927
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am Post

…so I'm a writer. :)
Complete and utter NOMsense.
Image

User avatar
robertdguthrie
Posts: 3075
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:06 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Contact:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:16 pm Post

What a coincedence! I wrote a NIAD too! What are the chances? :?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

User avatar
Siren
Posts: 759
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: U.K.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:24 pm Post

Me, too! It must be catching! :D
Literature & Latte support team

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24324
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 pm Post

Huh, that's really weird, same here. It's not even a full moon.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm Post

I wrote a NIAD too ... but I feel more it's convinced me that I'm not a writer, really! :lol:

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
nom
Posts: 1927
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:I wrote a NIAD too ... but I feel more it's convinced me that I'm not a writer, really! :lol:

Mark


You can believe what you like, but people are still reading your words. You're a writer! 8)
Complete and utter NOMsense.
Image

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4464
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm Post

nom wrote:
xiamenese wrote:I wrote a NIAD too ... but I feel more it's convinced me that I'm not a writer, really! :lol:

Mark


You can believe what you like, but people are still reading your words. You're a writer! 8)

Nom, thank you; the psychologist in you is coming to the fore. However, I still imagine that people are reading my bit only because they need to in order to get on and find out what happens in the end. If I had been given the whole plot and story arcs, etc. to write the whole thing, I don't think anyone would be reading past the first chapter ... hell, I don't think even I would read past the first chapter.
:roll:
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
nom
Posts: 1927
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:46 am Post

xiamenese wrote:
nom wrote:
xiamenese wrote:I wrote a NIAD too ... but I feel more it's convinced me that I'm not a writer, really! :lol:

Mark


You can believe what you like, but people are still reading your words. You're a writer! 8)

Nom, thank you; the psychologist in you is coming to the fore. However, I still imagine that people are reading my bit only because they need to in order to get on and find out what happens in the end. If I had been given the whole plot and story arcs, etc. to write the whole thing, I don't think anyone would be reading past the first chapter ... hell, I don't think even I would read past the first chapter.
:roll:
Mark


It's alright, I suspect most of us (me included) think that people are only reading "our" chapter in order to find out what happens in the plot. But really, when you think of it, that applies to most works of fiction. It's rare that I'll stop and reread a section of a novel for the pure pleasure of the words. Poetry, on the other hand…

I could not have written the entire Lunar520 either, I couldn't even have plotted it let alone sustained readers' interest through 25 chapters. I'm not a novelist, and I know my writing chops aren't up to the task (maybe one day, perhaps, if I work at it), but it was fun just the same.

But Mark, one thing that you and I and a handful of others have done, that no-one can take from us, is we wrote a Novel-In-A-Day. Glad to have shared the journey with you. :D

And I still think you're a writer. :wink:
Complete and utter NOMsense.
Image

User avatar
pigfender
Posts: 2894
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: I share a head with a great many personalities
Contact:

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 am Post

1) Mark, Nomibold, I thoroughly enjoyed both your chapters, so shhhhhh.
2) No-one is reading any of the chapters *just* to find out what happens. If that was true, people would be reading just the chapter briefings instead.
3) The NIAD format adds quite a lot of new and unnecessary pressures to the writing process, but somehow it seems to remove some of the normal and familiar ones in a way that enables you to get on with it. You can't help but feel more self-conscious in this environment: unfamiliar genre, unusual time pressures, no control or even visibility of the wider plot. That's got no bearing at all on the quality of your output. It's just in your head (see point 1, above).
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image