Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

Montree, no, you had it right, I wanted a blank line between paragraphs.

And between your help and Robert, I now have them! Yippee!

But what a sneaky way to hide that control.

My part is in. Apologies in advance for the simple-minded theological argument at the beginning. I just noticed that there were a liberal sprinkling of atheists and Catholics in the cast and my brain forced me to write something about that before it would let me write anything else. If I’d had more time to devote to NIADD, I would have edited that nonsense out entirely.

hangs head in shame

I’m looking forward to reading what everyone else wrote!

Pigfender: I highlighted two things in my passage that may need correcting. The use of “Science Officer”, which I wanted to use as a rank, like Commander, but was uncertain if they’re equivalent. The other was the figure 60,000 km, which I pulled off the wikipedia page on Lagrange Points. It may be the wrong figure entirely. Sorry for not verifying the number, but I’ve got to dash now.

We are still FOUR chapters missing.

Just so you know at midnight I’m going to have to quit on this for the day, whether I’ve had time to upload things or not.

Finally turned my chapter in. Had to exile my cat from my room to finish it since she was the cause of all my allergies last night. I hope I did right by the characters and hope that my part doesn’t suck too much. At least I’ve stopped sneezing and dripping all over the place, sigh.

sorry for being so late,
dawn

As long as the atheists won. :slight_smile:

In. Just. But gory. Very.

Looking forward to reading it, if a chapter is short, not turned in, happy to whip something up tomorrow am early? or is that breaking the rules

OKAY

Well, a big thanks to everyone who took part this year.

Here are the files for you to download.
PDF: www.pigfender.com/Lunar520.pdf
KINDLE: www.pigfender.com/Lunar520_mobi.zip
EPUB: www.pigfender.com/Lunar520_epub.zip
and of course
SCRIVENER: www.pigfender.com/Lunar520_scriv.zip
(in that last one, you can see what everyone else’s briefs were, if you are so inclined.

Keith, might be worth transfering these to a more stable server at some point.
Happy reading. Do please let me know what you think of the book, and of what you thought of the event. I’m sure the feedback will be useful for whatever sucker does it next year!

wow! we wrapped up a lot closer to time this year than last. glad the last few got in in a timely manner. had fun this year as i did last year. pigfender hats off to you and thanks for putting it together again this year.

Yes, thanks pigfender!

Just got home from the cafe where the only version we could open on my iPad was the PDF, and my wife immediately commandeered it to read my chapter. “Like a paperback” was her review, I’ll take that as a compliment. :slight_smile:

Now I’m home I’m looking forward to reading the rest: I want to know what lead to my chapter and what happened after.

Many many thanks to Rog for creating, coordinating and compiling this. A lot of fun. :slight_smile:

Hmm, was just having a quick flick through (as one does) and noticed that chapters 15 & 16 are identical (but attributed to different authors). Compile error? Missing chapter? Accident? Amazing, Dirk Gently-ish, coincidence?

UPDATE: only seems to be the PDF version. Finally got the epub onto my iPad and the two chapters are definitely different. I guess that rules out Dirk Gently…

Damn.

Everyone else was fine. Me? I made a continuity error. DAMN. Where’s that airlock? I’m outta here.

But seriously – thanks to the great and omniscient Pigfender without who God knows WHAT we’d have written. The worrying thing – a bit worrying unless you’re running an MFA course in creative writing – is that it all seems to work as a book. I enjoyed it. Doing it, and reading it.

Apart from the continuity error some shmuck snuck in, of course.

Pleasant way to round off the day. Can’t wait until next year.

Just finished reading Lunar520 and had a rollicking good time. I’m glad I had the chance to contribute, though I was woefully late (I’m sorry, Pigfender). A tip of the hat and a round of applause for the tireless Pigfender who made this all possible, and to everyone else who wrote such wonderful chapters. I had a great time :slight_smile:

dawn

I’m not sure which is more daunting: discovering I immediately followed Mr Bywater’s opening in the last NIAD, or discovering that Mr Bywater came straight after me this time around.

It’s the NIAD equivalent of being handed a guitar while the Beatles took a 5 minute breather mid-concert. Perhaps pigfender was punishing me in advance for my joke about the creativity of the selection committee?

Either way, congratulations PigFender on a job well done for another year. Great fun to participate, and I look forward to reading it in full.

Detectives, then space… What genre do we have planned for next year?

Surely you’re not looking to pass on the baton? It looked like you had us running like a well-oiled machine this year!

Matt

He said the same thing last year - let’s hope we can twist his arm again next year.

Just to add to the chorus, thanks again, Pigfender, for sorting this out - it was hugely enjoyable. I’m looking forward to reading the whole book later today.

All the best,
Keith

You gave me the last chapter! I didn’t know the order so I wrote it as something either early in the beginning or around the middle. But it was the last! It’s fun to read the whole thing and see how it came out, I’m enjoying it a lot! I’m going “aha, that’s why I had to write this”, and “Wow, I never thought she’d do that”. This has been a lot of fun (I’m new this year), I hope it becomes a tradition!

I loved the whole exercise. It was great fun, and I enjoyed the challenge of trying to write stuff in such a way that it wouldn’t clash with other chapters whose plotlines I didn’t know. I didn’t quite succeed of course. Not least when Rog pointed out that my first submission attempt had a glaring location error, so I had to rework some of it to put Bauer back on earth where he belonged!

Oddly, it felt as though I was writing Chapter 2, so it was quite a surprise to find my section in Chapter 18. Maybe Bauer’s successor could undertake research into the effects of perception distortion when writing in isolation. :wink:

And it looks as though three of us managed to squeeze in some dinosaurs (or a T-shirt, at any rate). :slight_smile:

Thank you, Rog, for a brilliant Novel In A Day experience.

I too thought my chapter must be the first, given the non-existent information on what had preceded it … and in then it turns out to be nearly the last! Who’d a thunk it?

But many, many congratulations to Tim for putting this all together again. I’ve read the first ten chapters and look forward to finishing it. My wife wants to read it, and I guess my daughter will want to as well, as they knew I was doing it.

I hope Tim sets it up again next year, or if he thinks it’s time to pass the baton on, I hope someone else will take on the challenge. Will I want to take part? I’ll wait and see how I feel when it comes round.

What taking part this time has taught me is how little doing English Literature at A-level taught me, and how little I take in style when I read (Victoria, if you read this, thank you for your comment above, although my post was as much intended as a self-deprecating joke as a plea of ignorance); and how much what I am truly interested in is the nuts and bolts of language, the rules and restrictions of the system and its relation to cognition, rather than in the artistic and creative side of language use. I suppose that, in a way, when I read it is to distract my brain from other concerns.

But there we are. My contribution was what it was; if I hadn’t thought I had been given the first chapter, I think I would have found it much harder to complete, though I guess that if it had been the first chapter it would have proved so anodyne no-one would have been tempted to read on …

X