Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

Okay, my entry is in - twenty minutes late, sorry about that! I sent it to your email address, so let me know if you didn’t get it. Yet again I was overly long-winded, though, and ended up writing nearly 5,000 words. Most of them unnecessary ones (as usual). Sorry about that.

All the best,
Keith

Okay. 2/3’s down 1/3d to go. This is going so much more easily than last year. Good thing too! I had an appointment yesterday which ran about 5 hours over time. everything is on the back burner waiting to boil over as soon as I’m done with this.

Mine should be in too. (PF?)

I’m short on my entry’s count but I prefer it short, sweet and tidy! I suppose Keith’s 5,000 will make up for my 1,100. :smiley: Would have liked a bit more meat to play with (no pun intended) but am certainly looking forward to the rest of the plot after delivering my section.

V.

Mine’s done. A little short, but it’s been a long week.

I’m glad to hear that other’s have low word counts as well. I don’t think it would have been very interesting to read if I extended my wordcount much further than I did.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to read everyone’s work.

Oh, and I hope that mine isn’t a complete train wreck.

=)

Mine’s in, word count was about 2400.

Not what I expected to write, or the style I initially planned, but it seemed right for the scene. Of course, with deadlines like this, anything could seem right so I’m relieved to read that others are nervous too.

I can’t remember the last time I waited for the publication of a book with such anticipation. I’m keen to know what happens (especially after the tantalising hints here).

In the meantime though, I think I might go back to bed…

proofing now. a nap is in order once i’m done sending it in, providing there are no snafu’s.

Sorry, off topic, but I wasted at least an hour trying to find how to make Scrivener put a blank line between paragraphs instead of using an indent. I swear I looked at every menu item without luck, and search the manual too.

Can it really be we have no control over paragraph formatting?

Whoops, only put a single # between scenes. Will go fix.

BTW, when I got the assignment I could see how I could POSSIBLY write 1500 words for such a little action piece.

So why is the final count 3900 words? Ans: many many years of training in loquacity by NaNoWriMos.

Oh, and I put a ‘end of chapter’ line at the end you’ll need to delete. Sorry, I’m always nervous about accidentally truncating stuff.

You have full control over paragraph formatting, but hopefully, given your follow-up post, you’ve figured this out now. :slight_smile:

But the only 6’ person on the crew is Jacob, and him only just - it’s a crew full of little people! :slight_smile: (No offence to any bona fide little people. I have watched Elf so I have an understanding these issues.)

Day kind of exploded in an actual paid-gig-crisis (so I have to go to Amsterdam at dawn) and I’ve only just got down to it an hour ago. 1440ww in and I have to ***** the ********* in the ********* ******* which is a kind of action scene so shouldn’t take too long. Expect it by 22:30 and apologies for busting the 20:00 Ideal Deadline.

PS: Single + indent or between paras?

sent mine in. abt 30 or so words short of the requirement. had fun this year pigfender, as i did last year. not so much traffic on the forum though as last year. should i expect the confirmation of receipt?

BethCutter, in scrivener it’s under format>text>spacing. i use 8pt. on the after option. i’ve found this feature to be a life saver when formatting for electronic applications.

Style? You can write in styles? I wouldn’t know how to do that … I can’t act either, maybe they’re related!

X

indent.
use # marks if you need a blank line / scene break.

oops! i used the hashmark for the scen break instead of the solidus. i’ll fix and resend. sorry.

Long compound sentences, normal sentences, extra short sentences. Purple prose, descriptive prose, sparse concise prose, bare prose. Choosing these styles on purpose gives a very different result and can add voice, especially if you match the style to the character of a MC in a close 1st pov.

I chose sparsity in short to normal sentence length for this piece, that’s why it clocked in at 1,100 words. :slight_smile:

V.

writing tight is definitely not an easy skill to master. this from a consummate blatherer.

Almost done. One detail I’m in want of, and my brain is too scattered right now to read the wikipedia page right, is the (average) distance from the L1 lagrange point between Earth and it’s Moon. Is anyone fairly sure of that number? The only one I can find skimming en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point is about 60,000 km.